Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:13:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686652
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - Small House, HMG team, and Civilians (06/01)  (Read 28386 times)

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - Dutch Colonial Troops
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2022, 01:04:36 AM »
Beautiful, I think they are great proxies!!!!

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2022, 05:20:30 AM »
It all looks marvellous!

Dutch colonials from Tiger miniatures may be useful: https://www.tigerminiatures.co.uk/dutch-colonial

Not the best sculpts out there but inexpensive.

T.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2022, 05:37:12 PM »
Nice. 

And the uniform is very like the Germans I am going to paint for my Slightly Cracked Colonials, a few units of Essiggurkesoldaten.  I hope that is right, my high school German was a long, long time ago.  Supposed to be Pickle Soldiers, basic picklehaub wearing Germans transformed into Lark Side colonial units wearing green - the color of pickles.  Just an odd bit of humor that tickles me.  Feel free to correct my German if it is wrong.

On your soldiers, the photos show brown and green puttees but yours look like they might be off white - or are they supposed to be a lighter green?

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2022, 05:44:35 PM »
Those Dutch Colonials look good.  Great job on color choice!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2022, 02:53:50 PM »
http://www.hlbs-redux.co.uk/28mm-german-colonial-infantry.html#/

These might be useful. But don't wait too long as the metal ranges are  being discontinued.
There are even separate  - resin- head sets.
HLBSC figures are a little less stocky than the Brigade ones but will still match.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - City Block Proof of Concept
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2022, 06:51:35 PM »
Thank you all for the kind comments!

On your soldiers, the photos show brown and green puttees but yours look like they might be off white - or are they supposed to be a lighter green?

Correct! In all honesty, I purposefully overlooked some historical accuracy to add some contrast to the models, opting for a lighter set of puttees :)

Thank you also to WillieB and Sgt_T for the miniature suggestions!

This week, a small proof of concept from me.

As you may recall, I've been having some trouble coming up with a solution for the streetscape. On one hand I want my buildings/streets/overall town layout to remain modular and flexible so that I can interchange buildings and terrain depending on the setting. On the other hand, I want the layout to be detailed. Whilst a neoprene matt combined with my buildings fulfils the first requirement , it doesn't allow for much detail work. Similarly, whilst a full-on wargaming board/detailed layout fulfils the second requirement, a board with glued on details, built in roads etc. results in a lack of modularity.

Having thought this over, I think I have come up with a solution.

As shown below, I intend to make various sizes of city blocks - a hardened dirt area (potentially also concrete) surrounded by pavement curb which may contain some bits of vegetation or grass. Details which may easily break if glued in (i.e. the electricity pylons and tree in the picture below) are magnetised so that they don't snap if someone brushes past. The magnets are glued to the bottom of the item, and another magnet is placed on the bottom side of the city block plate, so the item can be placed anywhere.

My buildings will be placed on these city blocks, which can in turn be placed on the bottom street layer. To change the city layout, simply switch some of the city blocks out and add different buildings on top. The blocks will have various sizes, but have a relatively standardised look in terms of texture/grass/vegetation etc.

Should you wish to have fewer buildings and more vegetation, simply remove the city block plates and add a set of trees instead.

Some pictures below - this tester piece is for a table corner as it only has a curb on 2 sides:

Block with post office and small shop:

Block with fountain and fish shop:

Block with no buildings (perhaps the area is under construction)

Whilst the solution is far from perfect, I think this allows for a good balance between detail work and modularity.

Let me know your thoughts! The XPS foam and MDF bases for the street layer should be arriving this week, so I will start work on the base layer soon.

Thanks,
Shtim

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2022, 10:18:20 PM »
The building blocks look great, I think your idea works very well.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2022, 12:34:25 AM »
This entire thread is filled with fantastic figures and buildings! Inspirational!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2022, 03:45:03 AM »
Block concept seems workable.  It harkens back to some articles in early Wargames Illustrated issues where there was a SYW village that was on various base boards all designed to work together, also another article by same for a tent camp.  Another idea I saw - I think here on LAF in the Old West portion - was to have "half blocks" that were meant to abut to the back of a building and could, to a degree, be interchangeable.

When I started reading your post before giving a close look to the photos I flashed on having just "the front" portion of buildings, similar to the "half blocks" above, where you have the front side of a building - or several buildings - to give that 'lived in' look to the front of the building before hitting the street, somewhat similar to what you did but not the full base. 

I think all of the ideas work.  My challenge is coming up with a way to make vertical modularity work when I want a town to be on rising (or lowering I guess) terrain rather than just flat.  Working in 15 mm, this is more practical than in larger scales - though not impossible.

You have given me food for further thought on "modular townships" for the gaming table.

And, as others have said, this is a really cool thread packed with lots of ideas and really nice modeling.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2022, 09:04:27 AM »
That is a nice solution
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2022, 08:23:49 PM »
Block concept seems workable.  It harkens back to some articles in early Wargames Illustrated issues where there was a SYW village that was on various base boards all designed to work together, also another article by same for a tent camp.  Another idea I saw - I think here on LAF in the Old West portion - was to have "half blocks" that were meant to abut to the back of a building and could, to a degree, be interchangeable.

[…]

I think all of the ideas work.  My challenge is coming up with a way to make vertical modularity work when I want a town to be on rising (or lowering I guess) terrain rather than just flat.  Working in 15 mm, this is more practical than in larger scales - though not impossible.

Thank you all for the kind comments!

FifteensAway, you don’t happen to have any links or photos from those articles and/or threads, do you?

On the vertical modularity, I tend to agree - that is a core challenge. Having said that, you could have artificial vertical inclines (retaining walls with walkways and higher platforms on which you place the base boards, rather than natural features such as cliff sides or hills) but no buildings would be placed on the slopes I guess… unless you made a building especially designed for an incline with an angled foundation…

Either way, interesting thoughts from your side - thanks!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2022, 01:21:38 AM »
Shtim,

Give me some time - probably next week at earliest - and I'll see what I can find.  Up against a deadline tomorrow and serious heat wave coming (may be as high as 111 this weekend!  Hope not.) and holiday weekend so wife may have 'other plans'.  Don't have links or photos but can try and track down the issues and the thread.  Was a few years ago for the LAF thread so might be a bear to find - but I'm sure it is there (not sure if the photos are, though!). 

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2022, 01:19:33 PM »
I had a similar idea for my Fallout project a while back, never got past the idea stage though.  lol  Very cool to see a real proof-of-concept - it looks great, very promising!

Offline Shtim

• Bookworm
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - New Characters & Resin 3d Printing
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2023, 11:30:00 AM »
Hello all!

It's been quite a while since my last update, but I do have some progress to show!

First up, I painted a few new miniatures: some dutch troops and a Moroccan henchman. The latter may be far from home, but I like to think that he's well travelled - plus, it adds some nice 'pulpy' character to my collection.

All miniatures from Brigade Games.

Next up, I have also made significant progress on my latest building. Influenced by a recent trip to Singapore, I wanted to try my hand at Peranakan inspired architecture. Common across the Southeast Asia straits, the style uses a combination of Chinese, local, and European architecture.

As previously, the roof makes use of corrugated paper. The walls and detailing is made from a combination of XPS foam and foam board.

The build is not yet done - I need to add details including window sills & trim, doors, signage etc. but we're on track!

It makes for a great addition to the city scape - providing more architectural diversity to the existing scene:

Finally, for my birthday and Christmas, I was lucky enough to receive/partly gift myself a resin 3d printing set up. It took some time to get used to, but it has proven immensely useful for printing elaborate architectural details. Wanting to use the printer straight away, I started a new project: An early 1920s cinema.

Every town needs a cinema, and the Dutch Indies were full of them! I really wanted to try my hand at a classic art deco theatre - especially those inspired by cultures from across the world (i.e. the Egyptian, Chinese, and Mayan theatres popular across most of the Western world at the time). Turning to the internet for inspiration, I came across the below:

Whilst quite far removed from the Dutch Indies, I like to think that the Egypt-mania at the time could result in something similar as far as the Dutch Indies. Afterall, why not - the tomb of Tutankhamun was world wide news when discovered in 1923..!

And so, I have now made a start to "het Ramses Theater" (the Ramesses Theatre) for my town:

More details to come obviously, but a good start nonetheless - and quite refreshing to have such a different architectural theme to be playing around with.

Finally, although a minor upgrade, I 3d printed a new set of signs for my post office. The original printed signs weren't holding up too well and so I designed a set of embossed text signs. The building is showing it's age though - quite rough around the edges. But I think the signs make for a nice addition.

That is all for now! Any questions or comments are always welcome!

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
Re: Shtim's Dutch Colonial Adventure - New Characters & Resin 3d Printing
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2023, 12:15:52 PM »
That's some inspired work.  What a great project!