Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:46:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Trampsteamer WIP ( update 27/04)  (Read 3591 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Trampsteamer WIP ( update 27/04)
« on: April 17, 2021, 10:56:26 AM »
Chris Abbey sent me a copy of his Trampsteamer set.

Being me I couldn't just build a straight kit.So I started tweaking it to fit in with my existing ships.
I had a lovely bought of insomnia this morning so rather than try and work on something commissioned ( in case I muck things up as awake doesn't mean not knackered.) I threw some paint at the ship. Colouring in all the progress to date.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 02:33:43 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Re inventing the wheel or another Trampsteamer wip.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 11:01:55 AM »
A couple of pictures to show the styling and continuity I'm aiming for. So all of my Pulp item's sit comfortably with each over

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 12:32:31 PM »
Nice little collection.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 06:43:47 PM »
Holy simoleons Mark... this morning's work? How bloody quick can you paint???

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 10:40:24 PM »
Looks amazing Mark!  :o

Love the landing pad for the Gyrocopter.  lol

Offline mikos khan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 12:21:34 AM »
Great work, I really like the interiors. 

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 08:51:02 AM »
Cheers Chaps,
As usual it's a thread to motivate me to finish something.

Matt ,
It's not particularly fast .Just organized. lol

I stood in the kitchen and painted it. Which stops me from sitting back and day dreaming waiting for the paint to dry.( I suspect thats where a lot of my painting time disappears)
Plus I'm not doing fine detail, and it's a cumbersome lump to try and move around on a desk without knocking sending things flying.
Because its so big its possible to work on different sections at the same time as you've pain drying.
1st paint on was the deck slightly thinned paint .Painted along the length of the decks.Using a on old crappie brush so it scratches/ streaks the paint allowing thinned area's of the paint to show some of the cardboard throught it. Whilst its drying paint all the portholes and dark woodwork black.Then go back to the deck add a little brown to the black paint you've got on the go .Thin it down use it as a shade was around the deck and all walls. Whilst its drying paint the grey 'C' shapes in all the portholes. Then the green for the outside portholes of the cabin.Whilst that's on the go use the green for the walls and the landing pad. Then the base colour for all the white areas .Painting only a 'U' shape around the edges of each panel . Then an 'i' shape in the center(ish) of each panel.(Therse no need for the base colour to cover every square inch .It just wastes paint and time. ) then a squared off figure of eight in a 50/50 mix of base colour and white into the area not painted with base colour. Using a crappie brush and blur the edgess with your finger.(finger painting is the quickest method) .The highlight is adding more white to your remaining 50/50 mix. Two or three vertical line's and a couple of stippling dabs from the same brush load and blur edges with your finger.
Whilst drying paint lower hull red .Then base colour all the dark wood work with chocolate brown. Use a little. Chocolate brown to shade the red wiping off and blending with you finger as you go.Then go back to the woodwork 50/50 mix of chocolate brown & leather brown with a final highlight of leather. Then a chocolate brown/ red mix thinned down and dabbed on and wiped off immediately .Where ever you want rust on the white paint.
Whislt drying highlights on all the portholes with just white.With the white paint that's left use it as a finial highlight and correction on the wall's in the odd spot blending with your fingers as you go.
(The railing canvas is just the base green leather brown and white quick wet blending with a finger.)
Then the black areas are the final areas to get painted as it where I've held the model the most ( so its got finger prints galore ;D)
That pretty much brings it up to this point.
Sounds long winded but if I'd just replied crappie brushed and finger painting some would be shouting B.S.

(The straight lines on the Hull ,and the landing pad. where achived by a combination of raised strips and embossing lines into the cardboard during construction. Save time and effort when your painting)

So that's how I chuck paint at speed on big Pulp builds. Ingnore fancy stuff and stick with a simple pallet and a stylized realism( boardering on an oxymoron I know  ::))

It's the same method I used on the Eather flyer.But that thing fought back at every stage. It wasn't so muchba labour of love but a battle of wills.

Which ties in nicely with the pic. I've still furniture to make for the cabin similar to the rooms on this.

The radio room will recycle the original. Panels from the kits bridge detailing. One half the table( other half is in the chart room) and in the recessed former windows.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 01:08:14 PM »
Great job, very evocative. Without the heli pad it could be used for earlier time periods as well. I love it!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Trampsteamer WIP (or Re inventing the wheel )
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 05:11:26 PM »
Thanks.
The landing pad is an optional piece.As you said it's more suitable for post 40's games. That said I've added a little detail to the deck on the corners of the white square . All I have to do is make another baloon or airship.So I can push it bach to pre 1920.
Mind you I could just build the 1930 patiented prototype helicopter.

Here's a couple of pictures of the reworked bridge and radio room. I've added a couple of pictures of the detailing parts and Chris's original layout for the bridge.
Just to show I've kept to the original parts .Just slightly re intrepited to cover three rooms rather than one.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Trampsteamer WIP ( update 27/04)
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 02:48:44 PM »
Starting to see the finish line.
I've only navigation and search light's to make .Plus a couple of life rafts or life boat's( not made my mind up yet) The life rafts would sit on the roof sections either side of the bridge.
The life boat's to the rear of the funnel..
Nearly forgot I've a helicopter to build too ::)

For now I've used the gyroplane as it's the nearest thing to a helicopter I've got painted.( not something that could technically use the pad but it sort of work's for the Photos.)

I'm avoiding making a platform for a floatplane ( until it's called for in a game as I'd only get sidetracked building a plane for it)  I've waterlined seaplanes already done so it's not really needed.

Then it's just a matter of snagging and weathering.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 07:19:01 PM »
I really like the radio room interior and the ships cranes.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 01:46:57 AM »
Great stuff, full of character! Lots of brilliant little details.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 05:18:06 PM »
Cheers,
The painting scheme is a Nod towards The 'Golden Fleece' of Tin Tin fame. I'll make a difference set of masts and Dereks as well.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 06:40:23 PM »
A lovely piece of work!  :-* I like all the little details like charts and books, makes it all come alive.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 05:58:33 PM »
That looks amazing. The wood is so spot-on, I could swear you went out and found some old wood and cut it into tiny strips and glued it into place!!  :-*

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/