Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:48:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1898 Miniatures Legion Etrangere - New range  (Read 28955 times)

Offline 1898 Miniaturas

• Librarian
    • 1898 Miniaturas
Re: 1898 Miniatures Legion Etrangere - New range
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 08:41:49 PM »
Will Empress Miniatures carry them in the UK with your other ranges?  (Too many horror stories now of additional charges being levied to risk a purchase from any EU-based store.   ::) )

Sure! Empress in the UK and Badger in the US

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 09:18:14 PM »
When do you think they will be at Badger?
Mark

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 09:19:22 PM »
It isn't, but we will. Hope to have dead&wounded soon

That's a shame as it is a very nice range.Excellent sculpting IMO.
Mark

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 05:22:36 PM »
If you want a successful range do ACW, Napoleonics or Zulu War.You can't go wrong with these.
Mark

Offline 1898 Miniaturas

• Librarian
    • 1898 Miniaturas
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 05:53:18 PM »
If you want a successful range do ACW, Napoleonics or Zulu War.You can't go wrong with these.
Mark

It's not our priority at all, believe me. Fortunately Rafael and I have both successful business –Rafael a celebrated wargames store and myself a military history publishing– so we can afford to make the miniatures we want, regardless the sales.  :D

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2021, 06:14:54 PM »
The Zulu War part was kind of a joke because of the popularity of such a small war. lol .I just hope you fill out existing ranges when you can. Believe me I know the cost of manufacturing figures, not cheap by a long shot.
Mark

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2021, 01:36:22 PM »
Beautiful sculpts  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2021, 04:14:43 PM »
Great character . I will be getting some if these
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Oberstleutnant Koenig

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2021, 02:56:54 AM »
I agree, they are a great looking range. Full of character.

I wonder if they will blend in with Artizan Designs FFL range?

Whilst having all these legionaries available, when will we see a fully fleshed out range of Tuaregs? Are they not the main antagonists of the Legion?

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2021, 03:21:32 AM »
If they are like their other ranges they will be smaller than Artizan. I have read that the FFL never engaged the Tuaregs while others have said they actually did so maybe someone with more knowledge about this can chip in.
Mark

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2021, 04:14:01 AM »
I won’t get into the question of how much fighting occurred between the Legion and the Tuareg, but can say there is no such word as’Tuaregs’. Tuareg is in fact the plural form of Targui.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »
Whatever the etymology of 'Tuareg' (and I'm not altogether sure its meaning and origin have been established beyond doubt) I think perhaps you need to take up the business of the plural with either Merriam-Webster or the OED. Both of them seem convinced it can be used as a plural with or without the 's', much like 'Zulu.'

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2021, 03:15:38 PM »
I won’t get into the question of how much fighting occurred between the Legion and the Tuareg, but can say there is no such word as’Tuaregs’. Tuareg is in fact the plural form of Targui.
they never  met them...simply because if you look at the map of the border, even nowdays one, between Morocco and Algeria...it's long way to reach far desertic zones populated by the Touareg..and, in addition, the Legion had nt any posts in the middle of Sahara neither in Niger..their foot unit status was partially upgraded by the few mule born companies that, in any case, weren't long range desert units but quick reaction forces for local emergencies or units mainly employed to support caravans once those ones had reached French border..
.the French only reached the Touareg and submitted them  with difficulties first with small locally recruited camel mounted goumiers bands and then with purposly formed Compagnies Méharistes..and, to some extent, from the other side of the Sahara trough Tirailleurs Sénégalais..some of them even formed in ad hoc units of Camel Mounted Tirailleurs...The ennemies of the Légion where the beraber, the moroccans, the berbers ecc...
Mounted and foot goumiers first, then spahis and turcos could be their support troops..that said, certainly  a full North African/Desert range with camel mounted compagnies méharistes, Tirailleurs Sénégalais on foot or camel mounted could be also very interesting and iconic...first tought that reach my mind about possible ennemies for those Légion castings should be, in  case, some nicely and historically well researched Moroccan warriors...that nobody had ever produced, except some few figures by Castaway miniature...but anyway, for the moment, let's buy some Légionaires that seem nicely done..
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 03:28:06 PM by italwars »

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2021, 03:28:51 PM »
I think that most people think that they fought each other is that FFL is the most iconic unit in the Armee D'Afrique and Armee Coloniale (Troupes De Marine) and that the same can be said about the  Tuareg of all of France's enemies in Africa.
Mark

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2021, 04:14:39 PM »
I agree, the new FFL figures are very, Very nicely done.

However, I will echo some other comments, about the non-FFL units that did a lot of the fighting, and from a wargamer's point-of-view, are seriously overlooked by companies for ranges. I think that rather than add yet another Mule-mounted range for FFL, that figures for the non-FFL units be fleshed-out, to make them more available/accessible. But, I could be wrong. ;-)