Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:36:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Goalsystem Sci-Fi Game In Development  (Read 14870 times)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Re: New Goalsystem Sci-Fi Game In Development
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 06:26:03 PM »
That looks like a nice crossover between role playing and wargaming. That said, while I generally understand what stats like charisma imply, I find that a lot of wargaming almost never touches this in scenario development. As such, these stats are rarely used or have no real bearing on gameplay. Yes, your character is one hell of a charmer, but games just involve shooting and blowing stuff up. I dislike that. I mean, I like games that do not focus heavily on shooting. Some combat is to be expected, but if a stat exists, I have an expectation that it will have some value in the midst of any game and not just a one-off scenario designed to use charisma to accomplish an end goal of some kind.

Since I'm a solo gamer, I also don't care to have more than 10 figures on the table at once. I'm effectively playing all of the characters, and the more figures I pull out the more space they need. So I like the idea of 2-7 figures and a like number of enemies. I'd probably skew towards the low end and play in a smaller space.

I think you're going to be happy with the way this is going. Charisma gets used a lot--it is not only a measure of personal magnetism, but also luck and fortune. You will have the option to use it quite a bit during the part 2 of the campaign round, the post-battle. You get to send your crew out to a number of interesting things, and Charisma is involved in a number of them.

For those familiar with Goalsystem Delves and Void Pirates, the post-battle is a game within a game where you build wealth for your crew, find new jobs, acquire new equipment, etc. I am refining and expanding it for Farthest Star.
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 03:07:49 PM »
Sounds good so far.  The way the crew selection works reminds me a bit of AE Bounty, which had a vaguely similar mechanic for trading quality for quantity.  No "henchman mob" option though?  I realize they're hell on figure count requirements but I always liked henchmen.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2021, 03:53:00 PM »
Sounds good so far.  The way the crew selection works reminds me a bit of AE Bounty, which had a vaguely similar mechanic for trading quality for quantity.  No "henchman mob" option though?  I realize they're hell on figure count requirements but I always liked henchmen.

They will be included in the last chapter, which is a bestiary of sorts. The rules are there, and a number of them will be pre-built for you. I will work on a rough equivalency so folks who don't want to use them at all can just swap in another standard or minor character.

I figured folks who have been with the game a while might miss them, so in they went!  ;)

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 04:02:15 PM »
They will be included in the last chapter, which is a bestiary of sorts. The rules are there, and a number of them will be pre-built for you. I will work on a rough equivalency so folks who don't want to use them at all can just swap in another standard or minor character.

I figured folks who have been with the game a while might miss them, so in they went!  ;)

I'd say you figured correctly.  If nothing else, henchmen are helpful for getting mileage out of "squaddie" figs from other game systems.  Plus, watching them die in droves is a good way to show off how powerful "hero" figs are.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2021, 06:54:28 PM »
I'm also intrigued by these. I've played a good deal of Void Pirates and have enjoyed how it plays. To hear that the new set has solo potential, scenarios (which you always do well) and a bestiary (with henchmen!) makes it all the more attractive.

Would these rules work for Star Wars/Mandalorian games? I realise you might be going for a grittier feel, but thought to ask!

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2021, 07:10:27 PM »
Would these rules work for Star Wars/Mandalorian games? I realise you might be going for a grittier feel, but thought to ask!

They probably will, but you know he also wrote Blasters & Bulkheads, right?  IIRC it was the rule set right before Void Pirates and is, um, let's just say "Star Wars friendly" shall we?  Worth a look, especially for Void Pirates fans.  :)

http://www.four-colorstudios.com/blasters--bulkheads.html

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2021, 09:38:22 PM »
I'm also intrigued by these. I've played a good deal of Void Pirates and have enjoyed how it plays. To hear that the new set has solo potential, scenarios (which you always do well) and a bestiary (with henchmen!) makes it all the more attractive.

I think they will work for Mando-type games. The Mando is definitely a Major character. You could pair him with two Standard characters and have your standard crew.

You could also take one of those Standards and split it into two Minors (maybe one of them being the Child?). There will be enough Psychic powers and other stuff to make what you want when it comes to low level parahuman abilities.

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2021, 01:06:57 PM »
Hey Scott, this is fantastic news! I was lucky and got a hard-copy of GS Delves on Ebay quite recently and I'm planning to do some dungeoneering. A valid solo system would be really great. Do you think it will be compatible to older GS stuff?

Right now I'm preparing some monster cards to randomize encounters for the fantasy rules. Having something similar for Sci-Fi would be cool. I'm definetly willing to buy the new system once it is availabe.  :)

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2021, 01:22:31 PM »
Hey Scott, this is fantastic news! I was lucky and got a hard-copy of GS Delves on Ebay quite recently and I'm planning to do some dungeoneering.

If you know anybody else who's looking for a hardcopy my FLGS was still sitting on a couple of them last I looked.

Solo Delves would be a handy expansion, although i suspect the demand for solo gaming in general is going to implode as the pandemic (hopefully) winds down.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2021, 02:37:49 PM »
I think they will work for Mando-type games. The Mando is definitely a Major character. You could pair him with two Standard characters and have your standard crew.

You could also take one of those Standards and split it into two Minors (maybe one of them being the Child?). There will be enough Psychic powers and other stuff to make what you want when it comes to low level parahuman abilities.

Ah, great to know. I'll really look forward to seeing these. Also, with the mention of hard copies above, may I add a vote that this new system be available in hard copy or print on demand? So much nicer than pdfs, at least in my opinion!

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2021, 05:10:08 PM »
Ah, great to know. I'll really look forward to seeing these. Also, with the mention of hard copies above, may I add a vote that this new system be available in hard copy or print on demand? So much nicer than pdfs, at least in my opinion!

It definitely will be. I plan a hard cover and a spiral bound.

If someone wants to knock together a play-test roster sheet, that would be great. I was thinking of something that would be 11" x 8.5" (landscape) and accommodate 4 - 5 characters, leaving a slot or area at the bottom of each to place their initiative card.

I am hoping to have something to share tonight (Sunday) or tomorrow afternoon (Monday).

Thanks! 

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2021, 11:57:53 PM »
Hey Scott, this is fantastic news! I was lucky and got a hard-copy of GS Delves on Ebay quite recently and I'm planning to do some dungeoneering. A valid solo system would be really great. Do you think it will be compatible to older GS stuff?

Right now I'm preparing some monster cards to randomize encounters for the fantasy rules. Having something similar for Sci-Fi would be cool. I'm definetly willing to buy the new system once it is availabe.  :)

The Solo system should be easily adaptable to the past stuff I have done. It mainly keys off of an AI model's "primary" trait or class, or whatever. So it would be trivial to assign those primary traits to AI models in any Goalsystem (or other) solo game you're playing.

Thanks!

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2021, 12:03:14 AM »
Ok, so a few things before checking out this link.

This is early days on this project. There's a lot of stuff that still needs doing, including playing a bunch of games.  :D

I also need to add a lot more characters to Chapter 5. I didn't want to build too many before getting some feedback. I need to write at least two more scenarios. I would like to do more, but we will see. I would also like to work though some more of the residual stuff from Void Pirates and exorcise it out.

I think I've done a good job of that so far, but there is more work to be done.

Ok, so here is the link:

https://app.box.com/s/l3ikbcuv1548p47f2scx22tb3vcc6nce

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:04:46 AM by fourcolorfigs »

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2021, 10:08:03 AM »
Downloaded and scanned through this morning - looks good. 

I like how the goalsystem has been streamlined over the years, makes it much quicker to stat up a few figures and get into the game and the solo/co-op bolt on is a great addition.

Looking forward to trying it out in it's natural form and also transferring ideas to my favourite setting - Chaos in Cairo.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 10:21:07 AM by pauld »
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2021, 12:05:14 PM »
Downloaded, but I'm swamped at work right now.  Hopefully have some feedback in a day or three.