Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:32:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689617
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Alfred's Campaign against Mercia - more Waelstowe Solo play  (Read 640 times)

Offline Athelstane57

• Assistant
Alfred's Campaign against Mercia - more Waelstowe Solo play
« on: November 27, 2023, 03:37:03 PM »
Alfred the Younger, had become king of Wessex after his uncle, Alfred the Elder had been slain by the High King of Ireland’s men.   

The younger Alfred had waged war immediately on Mercia, after a successful campaign the previous year, Alfred decided to invade West Mercia and drive out Coelwulf, the Mercian king.

In the first game, my objective was ‘Blood’, kill more Heroes.  So this time I thought about a plan.  Wulfhere, one of my other two Heroes, would march into some woods and lure Burgred of Mercia, Coelwulf’s right-hand man into attacking him.  I was hoping that Wulfhere could reform his men into a semblance of a shieldwall quicker than Burgred.    Then Edwin, my third Hero would charge in early.  I was going to keep Alfred on the hills near the Saxon camp and fend off the inevitable attack by Ceolwulf and Wiglaf.   Alfred was my strongest Hero in terms of Warriors and abilities - he has a good Summon ability and, should his Kinsmen get separated by enforcing Alfred’s orders, I could quickly get the back by Alfred’s side.

So I put Edwin and Wulfhere’s Focus Cards (the cards that activate them), towards the top of the pile and left Alfred’s at the bottom.  Of course, my cards get shuffled in with those of the Mercians, so I was not sure when my Heroes would activate, but I knew their order, roughly.   And the plan worked, but only just.  Wulfhere and Edwin took out Burgred, Alfred managed to hold of Coelwulf.  Wiglaf the other Mercian Hero almost felled Edwin after Burgred had put up more resistance than expected.

From his hill, Alfred surveys the Mercians on the heights opposite

Wulfhere quickly leads his men into the woods and quickly reforms them - it could have gone badly wrong otherwise

Burgred the Mercian, takes the bait and charges through the woods at Wulfhere, his formation starting to break up as he did so

Edwin's Focus card comes up on cue, and he launches a blistering counter-attack on Burged.  Edwin wades in and fells many Mercians, shattering their shieldwall

Coelwulf, as ever, let's his other Heroes go first before getting involved.  Here he exhorts his warriors to have no pity on the men of Wessex

Coelwulf leads the attack on Alfred the younger and the men of Wessex

Alfred the younger urges his men to stand firm in the face of the Mercian onslaught

Young Wiglaf of Mercia, finally joins the fray...

..and quickly smashes apart Edwin's shieldwall

After Alfred the younger's victory, he invades East Mercia and although his men are victorious, he is injured and captured and has to give up all claim to the Mercian lands.   After his release, he is approached by Aethelred of Mercia who urges Alfred to help him overthrow the tyrant Coelwulf.  Alfred agrees and a second battle occurs on the very outskirts of Tamworth.  Alfred was victorious but once more injured, escaping a second capture, and probable death only because night began to fall.

The confused but bitter fighting on the outskirts of Tamworth
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 08:21:38 PM by Athelstane57 »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Alfred's Campaign against Mercia - more Waelstowe Solo play
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 06:56:07 AM »
 :-* :-* :-*