Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:35:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s After the Bomb project 1980s imagination - pg31 Police Vans  (Read 56400 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Great work mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Looking good. The truck conversion looks better than the original  ;)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Beautiful!  And yes, the sheds of our local TA unit still had sheds full of War Reserve Bedford RLs.  Just one thing though - RAF Blue-Grey as a vehicle paint went out in the 1960s.  RAF vehicles were then painted in the same OD & black scheme as the Army, or plain OD with a reflective yellow stripe stuck centrally along the sides and across the front and rear.  This often had ROYAL AIR FORCE in dark blue.  The RAF roundel was still applied front and rear though.

God knows what lived in War Reserve sheds though.  Some RAF fire engines came out still painted blue-grey for firemen's strikes.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 09:49:58 AM by Jemima Fawr »
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
Looking good. The truck conversion looks better than the original  ;)
Agreed, I've got 2 of them. I'll shall have a play with a screwdriver tonight.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Thanks everyone for your comments  :)

Beautiful!  And yes, the sheds of our local TA unit still had sheds full of War Reserve Bedford RLs.  Just one thing though - RAF Blue-Grey as a vehicle paint went out in the 1960s.  RAF vehicles were then painted in the same OD & black scheme as the Army, or plain OD with a reflective yellow stripe stuck centrally along the sides and across the front and rear.  This often had ROYAL AIR FORCE in dark blue.  The RAF roundel was still applied front and rear though.

God knows what lived in War Reserve sheds though.  Some RAF fire engines came out still painted blue-grey for firemen's strikes.

V.interesting...thank you for sharing...I might repaint the RAF truck, although I like the idea you mention about War Reserves sheds with old paint schemes...particularly as I’ve got plenty else to paint in the meantime  lol

Agreed, I've got 2 of them. I'll shall have a play with a screwdriver tonight.

It just amuses me that someone at Corgi went to all that effort, and there is no mention on the box...I wonder maybe they used the same model chassis for another purpose?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 12:24:44 PM by AKULA »

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Thanks everyone for your comments  :)

V.interesting...thank you for sharing...I might repaint the RAF truck, although I like the idea you mention about War Reserves sheds with old paint schemes...particularly as I’ve got plenty else to paint in the meantime  lol

It just amuses me that someone at Corgi went to all that effort, and there is no mention on the box...I wonder maybe they used the same model chassis for another purpose?
Sadly, I never saw any RAF War Reserve vehicles.  I did go in the deep storage aircraft hangars in 1989 and saw everything from Meteors and Lightnings to Phantoms and Tornados, as well as probably 100 or more Scout helicopters stored on racks up one wall!

Apart from the aforementioned reserve fire engines, I never saw any RLs in RAF service during the 80s - all MKs and TKs, with some new types appearing around 1989, though I expect there were still some in reserve somewhere.  All the RLs I saw in the 80s were TA, but they never seemed to come out of the sheds, as they were only for war mobilisation.  I've got a feeling that they were still painted in 1960s-era gloss Deep Bronze Green.

If you're interested, the RAF's 'cars of choice' during the 1980s were the Mini and the Vauxhall Chevette (bloody awful things); all painted gloss black, with roundels front and rear.  Right up until the 21st Century, whenever you walked into MT Control on any RAF Station, you'd see a road safety notice board that was invariably covered with horrific photos of mashed Minis and Chevettes from the 70s and 80s!  :o

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
All looking very good! Thanks for the tip on the Corgi MK. Saves me breaking out the hacksaw. Speaking of all things Bedford and RLish, what would really set the scene would be a Green Goddess fire engine. Nothing says Civil Defence or industrial unrest like a Green Goddess.

@ Jemima Fawr. Funny about the Minis and Chevettes. I think in the early 1960s Humber Hawks were high fashion as staff cars. How are the mighty fallen and all that.

They also were one of the preferred diplomatic vehicle for a time. Former colleague of mine picked one up that at one stage had done duty at the High Commission in Canberra. Of course poor old Rex Hunt was graced with an Austin Princess in 1982.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Nice start on your new project mate! Modern What-Ifs are one of my favourite go-tos for Gaming  :D

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Nice start on your new project mate! Modern What-Ifs are one of my favourite go-tos for Gaming  :D

Thanks mate....if nothing else I’m learning new stuff about civil defence bunkers etc that I hadn’t covered before  :D

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Nice work.

Good spot on the lorry. Still hoping for something from Empress.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Thanks mate....if nothing else I’m learning new stuff about civil defence bunkers etc that I hadn’t covered before  :D
If you haven't looked already can I suggest the SubBrit website. I was a member for a while, fascinating.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
If you haven't looked already can I suggest the SubBrit website. I was a member for a while, fascinating.

Thanks mate, I’ll check it out  :)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
I found these two books pretty interesting when was doing this in 20mm.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
I found these two books pretty interesting when was doing this in 20mm.

Thanks, I’ll have a look for those  :)

Quick update today:

Managed to get some police cars muddied up and based - 1/43 diecasts but I think they will serve well.

The detective is a Foundry Street Violence that Dags painted for my zombie game about ten years ago...now starting a new beat in the Post-Apocalyptic North.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 04:57:30 PM by AKULA »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
How did I miss this thread? Really cool stuff, Akula.

In Threads I think they had steam tractors, as fuel supplies had run out. Would be a cool addition.