Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:31:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686556
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s After the Bomb project 1980s imagination - pg31 Police Vans  (Read 56379 times)

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
You need some armed coppers to keep order

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
You need some armed coppers to keep order

Nice work. Are those the OOP Mike Bravo ones?

I’ve got a bunch of police in the queue, but sadly didn’t get any of those before they disappeared.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Great project Matt. One of many   :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Ha love the Bill, well armed too with that Bren Gun!

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
Nice work. Are those the OOP Mike Bravo ones?

I’ve got a bunch of police in the queue, but sadly didn’t get any of those before they disappeared.

Yes they are and it’s sad that they went out of production so quickly as I wanted to get more of the British Army internal security figures.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks, I’ll have a look for those  :)

Quick update today:

Managed to get some police cars muddied up and based - 1/43 diecasts but I think they will serve well.

The detective is a Foundry Street Violence that Dags painted for my zombie game about ten years ago...now starting a new beat in the Post-Apocalyptic North.

Totally brilliant  lol

Obviously the frozen North. You got far to far into Game of Thrones  :D

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Totally brilliant  lol

Obviously the frozen North. You got far to far into Game of Thrones  :D

lol you know me too well!

I did actually think long and hard about what season I’d like to set the game in though.

I opted for winter, partly because I’ve got a load of snow-covered terrain/trees/mats so it means I can get a game on quicker/cheaper than having to start from scratch, but also because I like the in-game options it gives me.

It appeals to my mean streak as a gaming umpire to have ice causing vehicles to skid as they slam on the brakes at a roadblock, or someone slipping just as they pull the pin out of a grenade. In campaign mode, it makes controlling roads (and bridges) more important

Also, as if the effects of a breakdown in society wouldn’t be bad enough due to bombs going off, a lack of shelter/fuel etc would just add to the motivation during games.....why sit shivering in a tent, when someone is occupying that nice warm village over there  ;)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
I would be tempted to take the cars off their bases,
it would help reduce the 1/43 ish.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
I would be tempted to take the cars off their bases,
it would help reduce the 1/43 ish.

Nah...I like my vehicles on bases  :)

The Street Violence Detective is a little on the short side compared to some of the more modern figures I’ve got (eg Crooked Dice/Empress etc) so perhaps not the best size comparison, but he was all I had to hand when I took the photo.

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
Great looking project. A tad sinister to those of us who lived through the Cold War however. A couple of suggestions for you, if you want to give the Army a bit of armoured punch, the Corgi version of the Saladin armoured car fits in quite well with 28mm, unlike the Crescent and Matchbox versions, just needs a little bit of work on the gun and mantlet.

And as I did an awful lot of Home Defence training during my career in her Majesty's Constabulary, can I suggest that for the Police you have a look around for some coach and van type vehicles. The tactic we were taught was that Police would form Police Support Units (PSUs) usually made of up of three vehicles, 60 Officers under a Chief Inspector, to be deployed as flying columns, and sent to trouble areas. Some good period Police vehicles can be found in the Vanguard diecast range which frequently crop up on E Bay.

Hope that helps. I might even have a copy of one of the old Home Defence manuals somewhere. I'll have a dig around.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Great looking project. A tad sinister to those of us who lived through the Cold War however.

Quite true, but at least then we knew then who the enemy was supposed to be. ;)

Not always so clear cut these days.

Nice work though

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Nah...I like my vehicles on bases 

fair enough, your house, your rules. :)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
fair enough, your house, your rules. :)

I get your point, it’s just that my ocd kicks in when some of the vehicles are based, and others aren’t (and some need the base to protect them).

It’s an imperfect world  ;) :D

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
It’s an imperfect world  ;) :D

Don't knock it, it is the best one we have :D

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
Great project. I have a similar one, a small isolated place in the Soviet Union in the 1980s after a nuclear war. But I’m not as skilled as you are…. :)