Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 11:15:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685086
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s After the Bomb project 1980s imagination - pg31 Police Vans  (Read 55997 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Great project. I have a similar one, a small isolated place in the Soviet Union in the 1980s after a nuclear war. But I’m not as skilled as you are…. :)

Thank you, and welcome to LAF  :)

It would be great if you wanted to start your own thread and share some ideas from your project...that way we can motivate each other  :D

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Nice cop cars there, AKULA.  They sure look the part. 

I use 1/43 vehicles with my 28mm figs, too.  The look good enough for my games. 

Again, well done!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Great looking project. A tad sinister to those of us who lived through the Cold War however. A couple of suggestions for you, if you want to give the Army a bit of armoured punch, the Corgi version of the Saladin armoured car fits in quite well with 28mm, unlike the Crescent and Matchbox versions, just needs a little bit of work on the gun and mantlet.

And as I did an awful lot of Home Defence training during my career in her Majesty's Constabulary, can I suggest that for the Police you have a look around for some coach and van type vehicles. The tactic we were taught was that Police would form Police Support Units (PSUs) usually made of up of three vehicles, 60 Officers under a Chief Inspector, to be deployed as flying columns, and sent to trouble areas. Some good period Police vehicles can be found in the Vanguard diecast range which frequently crop up on E Bay.

Hope that helps. I might even have a copy of one of the old Home Defence manuals somewhere. I'll have a dig around.

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve actually got my eye on the Saladin (amongst others) that’s just been released by Empress.

I like the idea of the Police Support Units - I’ve got a couple of bus models on the way that I was thinking could have been requisitioned, plus I’ve obviously got some vanguard police cars already.

Would be interested to see what the Home Defence manual looks like...the more ideas and fluff the better  :)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
In our Doctor Who games we  use my old Dinky Toy Saracen APCs, Humbers, Austin Champs, Leyland ACV, Bedford RL. All fit nicely for size. The Matchbox Daimler Dingo a nd Dinky Daimler Armoured Car are neat matches at very nearly 1/56 though a bit early.  I was a Military Liaison officer to the then Regional Council for a few years back then and we had bunkers full of old Military vehicles kept in long preservation for use by civil defence and others.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
Great project. I have a similar one, a small isolated place in the Soviet Union in the 1980s after a nuclear war. But I’m not as skilled as you are…. :)

sounds interesting tell us more...

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve actually got my eye on the Saladin (amongst others) that’s just been released by Empress.

I like the idea of the Police Support Units - I’ve got a couple of bus models on the way that I was thinking could have been requisitioned, plus I’ve obviously got some vanguard police cars already.

Would be interested to see what the Home Defence manual looks like...the more ideas and fluff the better  :)

I’ve just got the 1965 Police War Duties Manual on eBay for a tenner 😀

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
I’ve just got the 1965 Police War Duties Manual on eBay for a tenner 😀

An excellent find  :)

You might want to watch the following (no sound unfortunately) on mobile columns...a bit before the time my game is set in though.

https://youtu.be/J2m8ozxwHKs

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Some US vehicles for the game...at some point in my campaign they will enter from the southern end of the map, heading north away from the worst of the fallout.

I painted these originally c10 years ago for my zombie game, but with a minor repaint and rebase they are now ready for action.

The soft-top pickups are from Fenris Games, the turtlebacks & the ambulance are from TAG, and the tanker is a conversion based upon a FOA truck...all c1/55 or thereabouts.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
Great painting. Very inspirational thread.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:12:32 AM by nozza_uk »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Thanks mate  :)

Managed to get some police painted today - Riot police are from Offensive (I’ve replaced the large rectangular shields they come with smaller round ones from Gripping Beast). The regular bobbies are from Crooked Dice.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AKULA’s After the Bomb project - 1980s UK imagination - pg7 Police
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2021, 02:15:05 PM »
Another small update, just trying to keep some momentum going this week while I’ve got a couple of days off work.

A quick and simple camp -  Renedra tents with some resin odds and sods.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: AKULA’s After the Bomb project - 1980s UK imagination - pg7 tents
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2021, 02:39:53 PM »
Looking good so far.  Nice job on the coppers, by the way!

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
Re: AKULA’s After the Bomb project - 1980s UK imagination - pg7 tents
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2021, 06:50:55 PM »
nice additions, the tents look great!

cheers
Matt

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: AKULA’s After the Bomb project - 1980s UK imagination - pg7 Police
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2021, 09:21:08 PM »
Another small update, just trying to keep some momentum going this week while I’ve got a couple of days off work.

A quick and simple camp -  Renedra tents with some resin odds and sods.

Very nicely done!

Add a couple of signs, a peace symbol and one that reads “We told you so” and it could be the base camp for any survivors of Greenham Common. Any such survivors probably would have a rather sooty look.  :)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk