Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:39:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Building a Peninsular town (update 19/03/24 - more buildings painted  (Read 20375 times)

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
Re: Building a Peninsular town (update 10/08/23 - fruiterer and bakery)
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2023, 11:36:03 PM »
FFoL, tripled… cinematic sets demand cinematic rules!
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2023, 01:54:22 AM »
The bakers baking the bread is a lovely touch. Gorgeous buildings.
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2023, 08:22:36 AM »
Lovely !  :o

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2023, 08:50:52 AM »
Emboscada.  A home brew set of Peninsular rules written by has.been of this Parish. Very simple even simpler than FFOL in my opinion, works with single based figures, unique activation mechanic.

Let me know if you would like a copy (2 pages. 4 sides & one of them is the cover! :D)

• Scientist
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2023, 01:32:37 PM »
I would. If just to “borrow” the good bits!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2023, 08:05:16 PM »
just to “borrow” the good bits!
You'll have to find them first. :D

Feel free to ask any questions. No guarantee I'll be able to answer though. lol

• Scientist
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2023, 02:29:10 PM »
I like the command control rules…very DBx like.  I have used something similar.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2023, 04:02:40 PM »
I intended several 'effects'
1) When a figure is 'hit' & goes down, the shooter should not know what the effect was.
    Did the target:- Die? get a wound? Dive for cover? or Slip on a rotten tomato?
    The owner can later try & recover the figure. If he tries for the rest of the game &
     fails every time, it was serious.
2) Without complex rules:-
     Veterans will do more, recover faster than Average, & them more than Novices.
     If a mixed unit advances you will tend to find that the novices drop out of the
     action faster than the others, while you are likely to end up with your veteran
     troops still fighting. No guarantees though. I had two Old Guard veterans fall to
     a novice female Spanish fighter. Those that know my dice throwing ability will not
     be surprised by that.

I think it is always easier to have a basic/simple set of rules, then add a scenario
specific rule(s). e.g. 'The River has frozen over. If attempting to move across it lose
D6 inches but a throw of 6 = Ice breaks. Treat as if hit by a shot'.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2023, 05:54:30 PM »
Always fun rules to play.
Just keep shooting  lol
Flatpack

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2023, 04:56:31 PM »
Thanks guys, glad you like the latest additions. The bakers are from Black Hussar Miniatures. They have some really nice sets for napoleonics and the SYW.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2023, 04:11:07 PM »
I thought a bit about how I should proceed with my Peninsular Housing Project. Some basic ideas as well as a collection of ideas for future buildings.

I am considering creating backyards for at least some of the houses. That would make the whole thing livelier and offer more gaming options. This also raises the question of whether I should standardise their sizes. For that I would have to put them on new bases that all have the same depth. Is that worth the effort? I‘m really not sure.

Another question is whether I use street names. That would be a nice gimmick, but would limit myself with different city structures and, strictly speaking, would be limited to Spain. That's why it's probably not going to happen.

Regardless of that, I thought about what else the city needs in addition to various residential buildings:
- A town hall and palazzo (of course with town square and the church on the other side).
- The city will probably only need a cathedral when it gets bigger; a city in Spain or Italy can't have too many churches, can it?
- Thinking about it, I might do another monastery, this time for nuns (the Sarissa Town Villa lends itself to that).
- What the city definitely lacks is a decent hostel. For this I have the Swan Inn from the Longfall series in mind. And there is definitely room for at least a small tavern in addition to that. Where else are all the soldiers supposed to go in the evenings?
- A good number of small shops and craftsmen are still missing for daily needs: Blacksmith, pottery, wine shop, greengrocer, butcher, fabric dealer and clothing, carpenter and barrels as well as a dealer for olive oil with a press in the courtyard. This will be a mixture of self-builds and Sarrissa Streets of Rome (including conversions).
- I'm still not quite sure about a laundry, a fishmonger (only makes sense in a coastal town?), a second bakery (is that necessary?), a barber (how to model that?) and a brothel.
- Also, the Longfall warehouse calls for a merchant/wholesaler (import/export?) I guess.

What do you guys think? I‘m curious to hear your thoughts and ideas on this.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2023, 09:06:42 PM »
My thoughts?
You are going to be a very busy fellow.
Do not always look at what you HAVE to do. Sometimes it is
good to review what you have achieved already.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Building a Peninsular town (update 05/09/23 - some thoughts on the project
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2023, 05:51:46 PM »
Thanks has.been! Setting up everything built so far forces display game was a real pleasure and I still enjoy adding new stuff immensely.

Enough theory for now. As you probably know by now, when I have finished a batch of houses, I start the next building spree. And I was even able to include the first ideas.

For starters three buildings from TT Combat. They are nice sturdy builds, and some fit the peninsular nicely. I finally went without bases, as they will be more flexible. Otherwise nothing special, just an extra door on the side and preparations for the roof.

The third building of the set will be the other side of a little square along with the fruiterer. To get a better match I added a small passage in the rear.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2023, 07:01:41 PM »
Next up three DIYs. The first is a greengrocer and my first go at a flat rooftop. For the porch I used the last remaining resin roof (or rather the last bit of it). On the rear I added a rosary cross.

The second is just a living quarter with no particular use. For variety I added a fountain and oriels, the latter from TT Combat. This is also my first try at a complete stone look, adding some raised stones with Miliput. This one is probably past its prime.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2023, 07:08:22 PM »
The last one is brothel. Since I had no lantern to draw customers the ladies will have to show off on the balcony (again from TT Combat).

At the side entrance I added a pergola plus a twine frame at the rear. The bits are part of the same „Venitian Window Gardens“ pack from TT-Combat as the oriels.