Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:44:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689481
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting Block: 15mm Kappadokians, Rhaetians, and Galatians  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
Re: Painting Block: 15mm Kappadokians, Rhaetians, and Galatians
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2021, 02:16:22 PM »
Those look fantastic, Jjonas

I also used Old Glory principes as later Galatian legions with clipped plumes as they gave a look of old and new:
I am also using OG 15 imitation legionaries for my later Galatian units

@trev

Thank you so much for the info and especially the sources. I'm going to delve into that and see what word is used for vests in Sulla 16, sometimes it's the translation that's weird and not the original. So that's it, I'm going Persian with the Cappadocians (and Armenians). The Galatians are going the 'blue' route.

I just need to figure out how to differentiate the Rhaetians from Gauls (and my Ligurians) for the game board since they probably all looked the same historically: probably just the palate for shield designs will differentiate the different Celtic tribes.
You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2021, 05:04:34 PM »

Thank you so much for the info and especially the sources. I'm going to delve into that and see what word is used for vests in Sulla 16, sometimes it's the translation that's weird and not the original.

Apologies for butting in (since Trev's response is better), but I actually know this :D The word Plutarch uses in that passage is χιτώνων (not sure if Greek shows up on the forums here... basically "of (their) chitons..."), so IMO it can refer to a bunch of different things, since you could argue he was just trying to generally say "the stuff they were wearing", or, maybe he *does* actually mean their "tunics". Since he specifically calls them "Median" and "Scythian" tunics, you could take this as meaning "full of wacky embroidery and not a solid swatch of colour to be seen anywhere" :D

Of course, Plutarch wrote this all down a  couple hundred years after the events, so he himself could have just been going for "colourful" as well lol

"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 05:22:09 PM »
Not butting in at all, tibi gratias ago, Fremitus.

Chitonon showed up in Greek, so thanks for that and saved me a bit looking. So, it looks like there's a bit pf painting for the wacky embroidery. I'll how well I can do in 15mm.

Thanks again

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 07:52:22 PM »
Not butting in at all, tibi gratias ago, Fremitus.

Chitonon showed up in Greek, so thanks for that and saved me a bit looking. So, it looks like there's a bit pf painting for the wacky embroidery. I'll how well I can do in 15mm.

Thanks again

I couldn't fathom painting Persians or Scythians in 15mm! Even at 28mm I pretty much resort to the "dot and dash" trick lol Anything more intricate than that and I end up spending too long on designs I'm not happy with, and end up painting over. On the other hand, I suppose at 15mm you'd be forgiven for painting with toothpicks :D

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 08:39:45 PM »
Well, my 15mm Mithradates stand turned out so. There's a bit of eastern clothing on the general with the leopard skin on the horse, that's probably about as detailed as I can get in 15mm,

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 11:08:48 PM »
Well, my 15mm Mithradates stand turned out so. There's a bit of eastern clothing on the general with the leopard skin on the horse, that's probably about as detailed as I can get in 15mm, />

These look the part. 15mm has so many more options than 28mm, but 28mm allows more color detail. I would stick to edging along sleeves and tunic edges and pants myself, with some few with dots or dashes. Even at 28mm scale Immortal robes need more of an impressionistic approach. Also later Achaemenid "uniforms" were both patterns and stripes and flowery motif patterns.

https://www.ancientworldmagazine.com/site/assets/files/1168/sarcophagus3.jpg
JJonas

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 10:09:14 AM »
Quote from: Fremitus Borealis
Apologies for butting in ...

Good butting  :)

Quote from: Fremitus Borealis
Of course, Plutarch wrote this all down a  couple hundred years after the events, so he himself could have just been going for "colourful" as well lol

A good point easily forgotten.

Nice painting Richard. 

Quote from: Richard in Sachsen
So that's it, I'm going Persian with the Cappadocians (and Armenians). The Galatians are going the 'blue' route.

I just need to figure out how to differentiate the Rhaetians from Gauls (and my Ligurians) for the game board since they probably all looked the same historically: probably just the palate for shield designs will differentiate the different Celtic tribes.

That sounds good.  Looking forward to seeing them.  Colour branding is a good way to subtly differentiate tribes.  Blue and white is great for Galatians.  Jeff's are great on his site. The Rhaetians are possibly related to the Etruscans, so could maybe have some old north Italian features like large squarish scuta or bronze crested helmets.  Alternatively, you could include some hexagonal shields to represent more recent 'German' influence.  I have no evidence for these though, they are just ideas foir the tabletop.