Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:44:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [KS] Dungeons & Lasers 3 : Modular Game Tiles : Woodhaven Village : Last 48 hour  (Read 3831 times)

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
Inexpensive plastic modular game tiles for 28mm RPG and miniature wargaming.

Walls and floors fit together so you can make the game tile you need.

I picked up the Fantasy Core Set, Cursed Cathedral, and some other stuff in their previous KS. The SG's and another freebie, this time a townsfolk miniature set of 60+ miniatures, *really* make this a good deal for the budget gamer.

KS : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/archonstudio/dungeons-and-lasers-third-edition
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 04:22:17 AM by ced1106 »
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
My wife and I will be backing the KS, the question just is.... exactly how big a pledge will we be making?

Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
I still don't think this is the best way to do buildings for gaming, but it is good to see the sewers set finally become available. Although the clear plastic water makes it an expensive choice compared to the core sets, I think having a "premium" clear option for those that want it would haver been a better idea.

The D&L pieces are excellent quality and, despite what some people throw at them for their previous incarnation, their customer service and KS delivery is superb.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
GG also has a blog entry for D&L2: https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/04/29/the-backlog-grows/

Yeah, the buildings are gonna cost more per square whatever, with the door and roof add-ons.  :?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 08:26:54 AM by ced1106 »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/archonstudio/dungeons-and-lasers-third-edition

Live now, but short campaign this time, only 14 days.

Really good response from Archon to the feedback about the "high cost" of the sewers in relation to other sets. They have made the sewers a core set, available as a pledge component and as an add-on.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I agree with you two.

My wife and I were thinking that it feels like the buildings idea is being downplayed whilst townsfolk and sewers have become the focus.

Where are the examples of cool buildings? The current sketches are very lackluster.

Where are the thatched roofs?

We can not believe that they have not shown a complete tavern.

There is still value in the KS and we are backing it but it is not so far delivering what we hoped for with buildings. It is exceeding our expectations with the townsfolk though.

Edit: This is an interesting video on how you might ge really creative with D&L pieces to build something different than what Archon presented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpmD_AhcwIs&t=1s
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 07:58:46 AM by Rick W. »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
Not surprising the figures have become the stars of the campaign, if they are done to the same scale and standard as the goblin freebie from the 2nd campaign they will be incredible value.

Certainly not to the individual quality of the HeresyLab, Tiny-Furniture or King Games townsfolk figures but at 46c per figure (63 for 29€) you can't argue. 

If your pledge gets you the stretch goals set -that rises to 89 figures currently  :o

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Someone at Archon Studios saw that in my review of D&L 2 I mentioned I would be ok with minis at the standard of that. They posted a reply at Dakkadakka saying the minis would be higher quality than that and put some example photos.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/60/797368.page

If you prefer not going to dakkadakka… here are some samples

https://ibb.co/1XHZ79x

https://ibb.co/GkrcJ34

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
How important is it to you all to have doors to suit the new building styles?

It is vital to me and my wife and yet it seems that according to Derek of Archon Studio, there Are Norplant currently for doors to fit the new building style doorways but that anything is possible with enough demand.

Archon has been responsive to customer input in the past. If doors are important to us, we need to make ourselves heard.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
Although I initially though swappable closed & open doors would be great, it is actually a PITA and makes a real mess of the structure during games.
Now I just use the open doorways, the closed ones have been relegated to use as external walls representing storage lockers.
My set is all sci-fi though.

For the Woodhaven buildings I would think the standard fantasy wooden closed doors they already make would be fine, I have a bunch that I would love to swap for sci-fi ones.
I don't know about the functioning door models as I have not seen them in person to see how the attachment and hinge works.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
I backed the project for the dungeon tiles really and kept wondering what wood haven was all about. I then watched the video and realized that the DL 3 campaign was for a town, but they didn’t show much.

I’d like to see a complete town made with the tiles.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
Went through the updates. Didn't see a specific building, but found these pics. And, yeah, the last one was unlocked!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
I am glad they added doors for the new building doorways… I really did not want to see Doorgate 2.

Is it just me or are we seeing a medieval fantasy Thor (Royal Guard) and Batman (Mountain Knight) in the stretchgoals already? Are there other superheroes I missed?

Does it feel to you like there are several different artists designing different miniatures with different aesthetics rather than a single aesthetic vision tying them all together?

My wife and I tried to get a better idea of what we would need to pledge for to creat buildings using bits we got from D&L 2. picture a roof on the hall on the right, the yard on the left with the Dwarven Forge fountain and Hagglethorn Hollow statues being open air with the half walls. Not perfect but you can see the beginning of a decent medieval fantasy church.

Offline mirjeki

• Bookworm
That's a decent looking setup, Rick.

I'm not sure how suitable the D&L stuff is for open air buildings without some extra piece types, which it looks like the KS isn't going for. Saying that though I do think they're perfect for large building interiors. If you have an adventure/mission set inside a castle or monastery or large inn then I think the D&L3 stuff is perfect, but in terms of city buildings I'm just not seeing it. I think it's too blocky and there isn't enough variety of shapes. I can see it working for fortifications but they're just too boxy for regular houses. Happy to be proven wrong though!

I'm really loving how the miniatures are looking, especially after seeing the quality of the dragons from D&L 2. I really like the style of them too, they look like they'd fit in perfectly with my Warhammer campaigns.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Our current thinking is to use the D&L pieces as conversion building parts rather than the strictly D&L modular set up, so for example we won some GW LOTR Rohan house spare bits we can use to help spruce things ups. We will likely get some of the GW LOTR Laketown houses and take spare bits from those to improve largely D&L builds. Each of these will be built onto bases so we can hide the awkward looking bottom edges.

We admittedly lose out on modularity doing this though

And yeah, these will look boxy compared to Hagglethorn Hollow and Tabletop World but should be no worse than current Dwarven Forge building boxiness.