Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686592
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stargrave for Rogue Trader in the 21st century?  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Stargrave for Rogue Trader in the 21st century?
« on: April 30, 2021, 05:14:12 PM »
Hi fellow LAFers,

Has anyone else quickly gone through their shiny new copy of Stargrave and immediately thought about using it to run Rogue Trader games set in the 40K original universe before if got really grim dark and Gothic.

There are obviously lots of nods to this classic tome and why not?

I am already thinking of running it as is and another as Rogue Trader (several thousand more years in the future lol) than the current setting.

Oh to bring the stories of Abdul Goldberg and Myron Jubblegunn (apologies for spellings) to the tabletop again.

So set your blaster to max and make sure your bolt pistol is fully loaded.

Make it so :D ;)

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: Stargrave for Rogue Trader in the 21st century?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 06:18:52 PM »
As long as Obi-wan Clouseau are on the case!  Go for it!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 06:29:37 PM »
As long as Obi-wan Clouseau are on the case!  Go for it!

of course if navigated by Lustram Locarno ;)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 06:46:55 PM »
Has anyone else quickly gone through their shiny new copy of Stargrave and immediately thought about using it to run Rogue Trader games set in the 40K original universe before if got really grim dark and Gothic.

Already being done by a middling-well-known youtube creator.  See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9_pjTw6mM&t=612s

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 07:36:00 PM »
Ah-ha,

Thanks for that I shall watch it when I can.

A quick flick through and it looks good though!

Glen

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 06:39:10 AM »
Possibly useful for the Long Night (or whatever the equivalent was called pre 30K).

There is an interview with Mr McCullogh on the Osprey Blog mentioning how in his opinion 40K Rogue Trader is the D&D of SF wargaming.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 07:06:35 AM »
UVS,

My gateway into this wacky world of wargaming and RPGs was Heroquest on the fantasy side and for Sci-fi it was a combination of BattleTech, 40K RT and Star Fleet Battles.

So to say I have a soft spot for RT is an under statement, I will start to stat-up some RT characters at some point today and put them up here one I have had a good read of the crew creation rules. Also I may be adding Inquisitor Blackadder and his trusty? sidekicks to the mix and possibly even Scooby Doo, who knows the system promises to be everything that Rogue Stars could have been but wasn't  :-[.

Happy blasting

Glen

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 07:34:41 AM »
For me the gateway for SF gaming was Traveller with Laserburn on the miniatures side.

40K: Rogue Trader for me was blighted by the coup/takeover and I did not really return until Necromunda. I do have the three Rhinos from the original release (all rather worse for wear) and an unassembled Land Raider (I also have its box - it contains the Space Hulk figures).

The three and a half supplements certainly promise a future for the game, hopefully additional plastics (wishlist: female crew, robots and something nasty for Quarantine 37).

I look forward to seeing how you progress.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 08:33:45 AM »
UVS,

From what you say, I guess you may be slightly (only slightly ;)) a bit older than I am. I loved RT but hated 2nd edition so much I got rid of all my original stuff, how I regret that now :(.

Were the Rhinos from the 3 in a box for a tenner set? Oh happy days lol

I played far more 3rd edition than anything else but I have always loved the wackyness of the original, even if the rules are very clunky by today's standards. Good luck with your Stargrave journey also.

My other standouts from that period are the fluff from BattleTech and also the fluff from a much lesser known game called Kryomek. The background and artwork are fab, the rules less so :D

Glen
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 08:35:32 AM by Storm Wolf »

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 12:53:51 PM »
...and also the fluff from a much lesser known game called Kryomek. The background and artwork are fab, the rules less so :D

Ah yes, Kryomek, aka what the Tyranids should have been.  You know Scotia-Grendel still sells the whole range to this day, right?

https://www.shop.scotiagrendel.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=217_218_3

Kryomek USA has some of the old Shatterzone RPG figs mixed into the range as well:

http://msdgames.com/epages/bccb46a7-1a07-48ac-8a77-e8e6cce9e958.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/bccb46a7-1a07-48ac-8a77-e8e6cce9e958/Categories/KRYOMEK/KRYOMEK%7CALIENS/%22KRYOMEK%7CALIENS%7CGAHAILION%20SYSTEM%20ALIENS%22
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 12:58:50 PM by Chief Lackey Rich »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 05:05:08 PM »
I remember Kryomek, somewhere I still have the rules and some figures someway.

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 05:35:59 PM »
I remember Kryomek, somewhere I still have the rules and some figures someway.

The human side of the range (and even some of the aliens) would certainly fit comfortably in Stargrave, or really any skirmish scifi game.  I was using the cyclo convict legionnaires as in AE Bounty a decade or so back.  Quality sculpts - I know Chaz Elliot sculpted some of them, as well as Bob Olley.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 09:04:04 PM »
The human side of the range (and even some of the aliens) would certainly fit comfortably in Stargrave, or really any skirmish scifi game.  I was using the cyclo convict legionnaires as in AE Bounty a decade or so back.  Quality sculpts - I know Chaz Elliot sculpted some of them, as well as Bob Olley.

Yup I have a few Kyromek, quite a few Marines, PA Marines and my favourites the Cyclos, oh and my next fave Talos CBUs :-*

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 11:41:54 PM »
Dusted off my sqauts, looking forward to fielding them as my Stargrave crew. Hope that there's an option for ogryns....
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 11:44:07 PM by craigjwoodfield »

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2021, 06:33:22 AM »
Ah good old Dwarfs Squats, those of us who are old enough still can't quite forgive GW for feeding them to the Nids in the early 90's.

Sadly I only have 2 originals left (I saved them from Hive Fleet Kraken ;)), but at least they are painted.

Now where are my Joakero???

A thought is that the other way to shoe-horn in some of the 40K stuff is that is where some of the warp lost ships turn-up in the Stargrave universe maybe?

Food for thought

Glen