Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:49:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Winter terrain - seeking advise  (Read 808 times)

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Winter terrain - seeking advise
« on: May 02, 2021, 12:10:10 AM »
I am looking to do some winter terrain, for the Ardennes, at least to start with.  I have a winter mat already so just looking at solutions for suitable drop terrain.  I will be going with snowy forest bases with loose trees, firs/pine as well as deciduous (bare because winter) trees, both of which I already have.  The advise I need is;

1. To make the trees snowy, what do people recommend to give them a frosty look?  A quick dust with a cheap white rattle can?  Something else?

2.  Considering the forest bases, I imagine drifts with the occasional bit of earth showing through.  What are people using to do the drifts?  Again, I don't think the cheap rattle can will really cut it.

3.  Has anyone experimented with putting temporary snow on existing buildings?  Something that can be easily removed afterwards?

Thanks!
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Re: Winter terrain - seeking advise
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 12:32:44 AM »
I doubt that white out of a spray can is likely to make your trees look snowy without a very heavy covering; the aerosol paint will tend to just make them look kind of grey.

I'd suggest that you might get better results by wet-brushing with a very heavy white gouache or gesso. Maybe sprinkle some baking soda over it while the paint is still wet, to give it a hint of a crystalline sparkle.

I've never tried xmas-tree spray snow for modeling, so I can say neither yea nor nay about that.

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 12:39:42 AM »
Thanks Fitz, I had thought about trying baking soda... somehow but was put off by the stories I have read of it yellowing.  Something to consider.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 01:45:54 AM »
Setting the Scene by Pat Smith has great ways of making winter scenery http://wargamingwithsilverwhistle.blogspot.com/
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club