Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:23:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690791
  • Total Topics: 118350
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: An SCW “A World Aflame” game  (Read 5633 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Re: An SCW “A World Aflame” game
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 12:00:12 PM »
I enjoyed that too.  Can we have some more?

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 03:25:23 PM »
Superb looking game!   :-*   :-*

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 07:47:38 PM »
Sparrow, very nice. Can I ask what you think of “A World Aflame” as a ruleset? I tried them when they were first released and found them somewhat lacking...something I find with many Osprey ruleset. I have also tried “Triumph and Tragedy” and it’s SCW add-on as an alternative, plus 2FL’s Chain of Command. However my 28mm SCW is currently sitting unused in “deep store”.

Thanks

Hi. Firstly I am biased as I helped with the play testing (which means I saw them before the Osprey edit 😉), They are very much a kit bag you can adapt or add to and games benefit from some time in pre prep and you designing appropriate event cards for your game. As is said at the start of the rules there is more than a nod and a wink towards Charles Grant. I don’t play WW2 these days but the mechanisms probably wouldn’t work for 39-45 by current gaming standards? However, their simplicity (I think) works well for the Inter War period. They are not everyone’s cup of tea but I’m comfortable with them (a big factor if I’m honest) and give me the sort of game I’m after.  Hope this helps. (I also use Chain of Command for SCW games and enjoy those to!).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:32:37 PM by Sparrow »
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 07:52:22 PM »
I enjoyed that too.  Can we have some more?

The day job sort of snowed me under today but once I’ve set up and played “day 2” of the game I’ll pop some more pics and a précis up. Will probably be the weekend at this rate 🤣. The aim is to get all my “toys” out so at some stage I’ll have to work in Panzer 1’s and CV Tankettes to! Glad you’ve liked the pics so far ... thank you!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 09:39:53 PM »
Sparrow, your game has probably inspired me to dust-down my copy of "A World aflame" and give them another go. Nothing to lose!

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 10:09:12 PM »
The day job sort of snowed me under today but once I’ve set up and played “day 2” of the game I’ll pop some more pics and a précis up. Will probably be the weekend at this rate 🤣. The aim is to get all my “toys” out so at some stage I’ll have to work in Panzer 1’s and CV Tankettes to! Glad you’ve liked the pics so far ... thank you!

Much appreciated.  Also, where do you get Panzer 1s?  I've been looking to no avail.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 11:26:03 PM »
Much appreciated.  Also, where do you get Panzer 1s?  I've been looking to no avail.

Here one would imagine

https://www.empressminiatures.com/tanks-and-vehicles-55-c.asp

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 06:00:56 AM »
Sparrow, are your buildings home-made or commercially available?  If the latter can you say who the manufacturer is. I would normally shie-away from a large expenditure of 28mm buildings for what is a "niche" period for me, but some could also serve with my 28mm Peninsular War collection.   

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 03:22:50 PM »
Sparrow, are your buildings home-made or commercially available?  If the latter can you say who the manufacturer is. I would normally shie-away from a large expenditure of 28mm buildings for what is a "niche" period for me, but some could also serve with my 28mm Peninsular War collection.

A lot from here;

https://www.empressminiatures.com/builders-yard-89-c.asp

You could also ask the Author of A World Aflame if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:37:12 PM by Paul @ Empress Miniatures »

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 10:25:28 PM »
Hi all. Buildings are primarily a combination of Empress, Grand Manner (and a couple of jazzed up Miniature Building Authority from when you used to get the in the UK), all worked on by Dave Bodeley.

If you want SCW tanks look no further than Empress.

SJWI - I hope you get on better with the rules ‘second time around’. The key is work with their style and add the layers/flavour for your style of game with event cards (and house rules?). Treat them as a kit bag.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 10:26:40 PM »

You could also ask the Author of A World Aflame if you have any questions.

Oh yeah.. and any questions to Paul lol

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 08:54:12 PM »
This looks all very nice
, ,

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2021, 06:49:08 AM »
Okay, after a bit of “real world” disruption my solo game reaches Day 2. Overnight many of the CNT FAI militia have melted away (decided by dice) and the few remaining are just enough to provide a holding force on the Republican left but that’s about it. The Assaultos have held up better although they are light on ammo now. The Republican HQ has given them orders to hold the village.

More important is the arrival of a near full strength batttalion from the International Brigade (the British battalion) plus a more depleted battalion (the German battalion) along with three ATG’s  and 4 T26’s (I told you I wanted to get my toys” out!). In the hour before dawn these have been deployed on the Republican right with the T26’s and the British battalion up front and the German battalion forming the reserve. The plan is to sweep up the right flank and the storm the copse woodland whilst turning left to capture Windmill Hill. The 2nd wave support line can then move through and see off the remaining Fascist forces. In the assault the T26’s will also try to deal with the barbed wire in front of Windmill Hill.

Nationalist overnight support has been patchy (a long overdue bit of bad dice rolling on their part) and is limited to a Mountain Gun, deployed near to the Condor Legion Flak battery, and an ATG secreted in the grove to face the tank attack expected given the track noises heard in the hours before dawn. The Condor Legion FAO has relocated to the Convent Tower and limited off table artillery support is available (if the right event card turns up).

Cloud cover is limited and air support is possible (if the event cards allow).

Here we go!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:58:32 AM by Sparrow »

Offline scotty

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 08:04:44 AM »
This looks fantastic, can't wait to see more

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2021, 09:03:53 AM »
Cheers  Scotty, appreciated. A few more snaps (taken like all of them on my mobile phone) before the tanks start rolling....