Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:33:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686501
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Macedonian figures  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: Macedonian figures
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 10:40:04 PM »
Fantastic work. Now you need to show us some pics of them deployed and arrayed for battle.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 07:56:24 AM »
Melnibonean- I'll have a look to see if I have in game photos. The only one I located is off a game I played about 5 years ago . Oh and I have a shot of a pike phalanx waking through a "wheat field"

I've been profoundly disillusioned with the current set of in print rules and of course, as I discovered, actually locating gamers who want to play in 28mm, particularly in London where I live, seems even more difficult as London is the mecca for devotes of 15mm who delight in A Derivative Little Game. So I have no expectation that these figures will get off the shelf. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:12:08 AM by Doom Beard 78 »

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 08:17:59 AM »
Nice!
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 08:50:00 AM »
Doombeard, have you checked out Simon Miller’s “To the Strongest”. I find them excellent and with what you have painted you can easily field two Successor armies for the battles of the Diadachoi.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 09:43:32 AM »
re: TTS

I have a pdf copy of it and FKAP somewhere.  I have played it a few times at shows usually in Simon's games .  Its OK, allows you to put lots of figures on the table and play to a finish at a good rate but the grid is a turn off for me.  A 6x4 grid from the Bat star is £52. I'd rather spend that on figures. I can't be faffed with making up a grid myself and  spending ages with a set square to locate where to affix markers to show the corners of the grid strikes me as the most irredeemable tedium.
 I found that the game greatly emphasises the linearity of Ancients= this may actually be pretty accurate ( I shall defer to wiser heads on the merits of this point) but as a games mechanism it did n't float my boat. 
I can appreciate that the grid speeds up the game by removing measuring and means that a whole section on manoeuvres can be removed from the rulebook; it also means that you don't issues with clipping or resolving how to maximise contact. to be honest I have rarely struggled with resolving those issues.

Besides, as far as I tell, other than the august personage of the Big Red Bat I have failed to locate anyone who actually plays it in London. 

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 10:06:28 AM »
Doombeard, thanks. An honest view and one I can understand. I too played Simon’s demo games and then I jumped in with both feet. I decided that buying a mat or two was small beer compared to a 28mm army of metal figures. TTS has re-vitalised my ancient gaming and it has been a staple of my group’s weekly Zoom games during Lockdown. The grid system has made playing by video very easy.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 10:29:05 AM »
I can see why people have taken to it and I applaud Simon for what he has achieved; rather than rehash the DBX concept for WHAB he has gone a different route

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 05:32:52 PM »
re: TTS

I have a pdf copy of it and FKAP somewhere.  I have played it a few times at shows usually in Simon's games .  Its OK, allows you to put lots of figures on the table and play to a finish at a good rate but the grid is a turn off for me.  A 6x4 grid from the Bat star is £52. I'd rather spend that on figures. I can't be faffed with making up a grid myself and  spending ages with a set square to locate where to affix markers to show the corners of the grid strikes me as the most irredeemable tedium.
 I found that the game greatly emphasises the linearity of Ancients= this may actually be pretty accurate ( I shall defer to wiser heads on the merits of this point) but as a games mechanism it did n't float my boat. 
I can appreciate that the grid speeds up the game by removing measuring and means that a whole section on manoeuvres can be removed from the rulebook; it also means that you don't issues with clipping or resolving how to maximise contact. to be honest I have rarely struggled with resolving those issues.

Besides, as far as I tell, other than the august personage of the Big Red Bat I have failed to locate anyone who actually plays it in London.

It is funny but I would say the reverse it doesn't favour linearity, the several games I tried ended up with units all over the place! It is an entertaining game especially with lots of units but I don't see it as historical. Units ignore their neighbours breaking and fight on regardless. Although I was used to playing the old style WRG rules where a rout would or could effect surrounding units, rather than units almost fighting in isolation and ignoring what is happening around them, Hail Caesar seems to encourage providing support for lines. Although you would only notice it in a larger game.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 07:42:18 PM »
Johnp4000, I don't want to sound like an advert for TTS but your comment about "units ignore their neighbour breaking" has now been addressed.  Simon has covered  many queries/issues via his free amendment download "Even Stronger".  These mods are in preparation for what I presume will be a v2 of the rules sometime later this year/early 2022.

A battle I ran last week was almost decided by one side breaking as you describe.     

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 08:36:56 PM »

I've been profoundly disillusioned with the current set of in print rules and of course, as I discovered, actually locating gamers who want to play in 28mm, particularly in London where I live, seems even more difficult as London is the mecca for devotes of 15mm who delight in A Derivative Little Game. So I have no expectation that these figures will get off the shelf.

That’s a cracking looking phalanx!

We had 336 pikes and hoplites on the table for Paraetecene at the Society of Ancients Battle Day a couple of years ago....  We were using Piquet/ Archon which just about copes with games of this scale.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 12:03:30 AM »
Melnibonean- I'll have a look to see if I have in game photos. The only one I located is off a game I played about 5 years ago . Oh and I have a shot of a pike phalanx waking through a "wheat field"

Be right back, I have to go get a mop to clean my drool off the floor from that last "super phalanx" photo lol
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 06:40:17 AM »
We’ve played loads of FKaP and some TTS - the grid thing we are quite happy with. Early on I marked out the grids on the cloth before a game, using small stones / grit. The actual grid doesn’t have to be that accurate, so you don’t need to worry that every box is a perfect 6” square. It is obvious which units are in which box.

We moved on to mats with grid corners pre-printed, partly as we were updating mats anyway, and partly because its quicker.

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 09:14:17 AM »
Johnp4000, I don't want to sound like an advert for TTS but your comment about "units ignore their neighbour breaking" has now been addressed.  Simon has covered  many queries/issues via his free amendment download "Even Stronger".  These mods are in preparation for what I presume will be a v2 of the rules sometime later this year/early 2022.

A battle I ran last week was almost decided by one side breaking as you describe.   

Thanks, I will have a look, this was a few years ago, I just noticed Simon seems to have revised some aspects of the rules and a V2 is due out.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2021, 12:59:44 PM »
Photos of one of the last Ancients games I played . Hail Caesar Hoplites v Macedonians.  The date shown on the computer file in 2017. From memory I hosted this on a 15"x6" table in my living room - I supplied most of the figures. Upon arrival my opponent questioned why he was "wasting a perfectly good day wargaming with me, when he could be in the park with his daughter". Fair enough I thought, so I never invited him back .  JohnP4000 knows the gamer in question.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2021, 01:01:27 PM »
Be right back, I have to go get a mop to clean my drool off the floor from that last "super phalanx" photo lol

That has to be the best thing I have read today