Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:29:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Change at eBay as they ditch PayPal  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Change at eBay as they ditch PayPal
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2021, 08:11:51 AM »
It worked fine for me. My auctions ended on 31/03 and the money reached my bank account by 06/04 i.e. after the Easter bank holiday weekend. As I’d listed during one of eBay’s promotions, the only deductions were £1 per auction.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2021, 08:45:18 AM »
Changed mine over, no worries. Rather than give Paypal all my details I gave eBay all my details. I'm not sure what the issue is.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline sultanbev

• Bookworm
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2021, 11:29:52 AM »
Have been watching with horror as Ebay change the look of my page, downgrading the pc imagery to that of a smartphone. Functionality is far worse, previously I could see 15-20 listings of what I have for sale in one go, now it's three!

Now they're preventing sellers from accepting payment in Paypal, and holding onto your sale money for 2-4 days. So I'm getting out.

Was musing the other day that someone needs to set up an ebay for wargamers, and low and behold, found this:

https://minisbarter.com/

It has no auction facility, so it's just straight sales and barters, but thats no problem.
So have started listing items here, mostly 15mm Napoleonics and some 6mm moderns at the moment.

As Carne Ross the Accidental Anarchist says, you don't create change by protest and boycott, you set up the alternatives you want in place, then as people see them working, they'll join in. And the thing you're trying to replace withers on the vine through obsolescence.

I've no affiliation with Minis Barter, no idea who set it up, but am prepared to give it a try. Come over and join in, and then it'll become a success....

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2021, 01:14:31 AM »
Changed mine over, no worries. Rather than give Paypal all my details I gave eBay all my details. I'm not sure what the issue is.

For me the issue is Paypal does not have my banking information just a credit card. I am not sure I want ebay to have my bank information.  When I sold on ebay now I use the funds to pay for future paypal charges. The additional 2 day float where ebay makes interest on your cash is annoying but no different than any other bank transfer.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2021, 06:24:50 PM »

As was mentioned, Paypal doesn't require any bank info. You can use it without handing that data over. There is AFAICT no option for eBay.

I started selling some items on eBay again just prior to Covid. All the shipping issues stopped that cold but this payment issue has stopped me wanting to pick it up again. It is anti-competitive (as bad as when they owned Paypal) and them abusing their monopoly position.

The fact that they charge you a fee to hold your money and make interest off it is also another nail in the coffin

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2021, 10:20:55 PM »
For me the issue is Paypal does not have my banking information just a credit card. .

Ah, we have it attached to the bank account, so there isn't a difference.

Offline cgh

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2021, 05:23:03 PM »
It appears that eBay are charging 2.5% currency conversion charges as well according to my statement which is interesting as I've only sold in pound sterling and that's what eBay UK are giving me.  The fees certainly appear to have gone up a bit.

Offline soldieroftheline

• Bookworm
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2021, 08:20:18 PM »
I have changed over, I use a seperate bank account used only for Wargames stuff (buying and selling) and which is also the one linked to paypal so not concerned about giving ebay the details for that.

It took a little getting used to over the first sales but I'm ok with it now. Had one problem with a buyer in the US who was trying to pay me but being told by eBay that I didn't ship to his address, even though the auction clearly said I did ship to the US and I had input the correct postage. We got around that though. Don't understand the poster who said he could only see three of his listings as I can see all of mine.

However, this bank holiday weekend instead of the usual 'max £1 final value fee' offer it was '80% off final value fee'. I don't know if this was the same for everyone or if the offers change once you sign up to the new system. Remains to be seen how much difference it makes.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2021, 03:52:20 PM »
I'm very disappointed and mad about this change of policy by eBay.

I don't know what I'll do.

I have read some people are considering opening, and/or providing info only about their small savings accounts, through a credit union, or bank, not keeping much in the way of funds in that, and then sweeping any funds received from it regularly, just in case.

I suspect that might be a decent workaround, but it is a hassle.

eBay long ago lost their customer friendly image.

Some of this may be driven by onerous governmental regulations, I suspect.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2021, 04:02:46 PM »
eBay long ago lost their customer friendly image.

It just looks like Walmart now.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2021, 04:58:11 PM »
I'm not one to defend eBay.  They've been undergoing a lengthy whole-sale change.  Make no mistake, the "auction" side of eBay was abandoned a long time ago.  They're chasing Amazon now.  They vastly prefer quick and simple straight purchases which take less server-space on their side, etc.  They also don't want to deal with customer issues arising from auctions, etc., etc.

However...keep in mind, in order to have a certified PayPal account you have to link your bank account to them anyway.  Also, PayPal (which used to be part of the eBay company) used to charge you on top of eBay fees, and PayPal makes free interest off the money you keep in your PayPal account.  So it's not just big bad eBay here...it's the nature of online sales/money usage.

eBay has been going absolutely backward as far as user friendly design.  Their new pages/etc. are fucking horrible.  It's a struggle to find some pretty common stuff you'd want to access as a seller/buyer.  They also got rid of the ability of sellers to respond to negative feedback - so buyers can just lie and roast you while sabotaging your store, etc.

Some things to note though, just for balance sake:

1) eBay does deposit to your account pretty quick.  I haven't noticed a large uptick in fees compared to the older eBay/PayPal double-dip.  Between eBay and PayPal I used to lose I think 15.5% total on a purchase.  Now it's about the same, but eBay is pocketing that instead of splitting it with PayPal.

2) If you have your own scale and can print labels (i.e....buy shipping labels for your printer) you still get a pretty solid shipping discount if you ship through eBay.  I box and label stuff myself and ship it in the middle of the night by dropping it in the local post office drop-box.

So, this is to say, as someone who eBays a LOT, I haven't seen much of a change.  It does mean I'm more or less not keeping a balance in PayPal anymore, but overall I haven't seen a huge change.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!