Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bonnie Blue Flag fast play ACW test game  (Read 3931 times)

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
Re: Bonnie Blue Flag fast play ACW test game
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2021, 04:19:05 PM »
Norm,

Would you think the tracking needs to follow into the next turn also - or 'remove all movement markers from units' at the end of the turn?

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2021, 04:20:19 PM »
Another question?

The rules state that turn initiative determines which side goes first, and then each player will roll for their commanders+mods, with the highest score having the initiative.

Does this mean that the entire side which has the highest scoring commander activates together, or does a single player with the highest scoring commander begin activating his units first, and then the turn sequence phasing back and forth to each player based on their commander initiative rolls?

Tied to this question is the Order Of Battle for the 2nd included scenario Port Republic - which includes T. Jackson on the board in addition to Brig-Gen. Winder (for the Stonewall brigade).  Would commander Jackson be rolling for [side] initiative too, or would only the Brigade Generals be rolling for the initiative of their brigades (to gain initiative for their whole side/or for each Brigade)?

If a side has more than one brigade, I applied the Commanders rule from page 28, so that a divisional commander is on the table. At this point I assumed that the senior commander on the table uses his current attrition value to modify the initiative die roll.

A few times the system talks about doing things to meet the historical situation IF a historical scenario is being played, so I think scenario 2 overrides the the above.

For scenario 2, clearly the designer wants the presence of Jackson to be a factor of advantage over the Union,  so for the Union, I ignored the divisional commander rule, since there isn’t one in the order of battle and instead, when initiative was rolled, I allowed the Union to use their best leader at that moment (i.e the one with the most attritional points left) to modify the initiative.

I think you could activate the divisional commander rule if you wanted to show structure and just represent the Union divisional commander with a base that has 2 attrition points, the same as a replacement leader would have.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2021, 04:23:59 PM »
Norm,

Would you think the tracking needs to follow into the next turn also - or 'remove all movement markers from units' at the end of the turn?

I think the tracking would need to stay with the unit until such time that the unit in it’s next movement phase does not ‘advance’.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2021, 04:53:26 PM »
I think your assumptions make good sense.

The procedure for determining initiative isn't too clear (perhaps complicated by moving from a 1 vs. 1 match system [a player per brigade facing the same] , to multiplayer game mechanics).

Maybe the author will define these.

Offline swordman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2021, 05:17:31 PM »
hello guys, glad these rules are discussed. I think I read somewhere that there are "additional" rules regarding attrition. only I can't remember where I would have read this. I still vaguely remember that a commander could replenish his attrition points. only I no longer know how it worked. anyone any idea about that?

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2021, 05:57:21 PM »
There isn't a great on the web, or at least that I can find. Brigade Commanders can have their Attrition points increased by a divisional commander handing over some of his .... is that what you are referring to?

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2021, 01:58:08 AM »
If a side has more than one brigade... I allowed the Union to use their best leader at that moment (i.e the one with the most attritional points left) to modify the initiative.

Minor quibble: considering the amount of fuss about seniority when ranks were the same, I should think one of the Union comanders (determined by dice before the game starts) should be declared senior and his attrition points used. Allowing them to shift command back and forth sounds more like love children rather than jealous officers.

Got my rules recently and they look good.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 06:20:12 AM »
Minor quibble: considering the amount of fuss about seniority when ranks were the same, I should think one of the Union comanders (determined by dice before the game starts) should be declared senior and his attrition points used. Allowing them to shift command back and forth sounds more like love children rather than jealous officers.

Got my rules recently and they look good.

That seems just as fair as any other way. That '6' Value for the Confederate Divisional Commander is pretty much going to ensure Initiative rests with the Confederates, at least for the first part of the game. The rule book does give a very good first impression, I would like more of my sets to look like this.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2021, 01:01:12 PM »
That seems just as fair as any other way. That '6' Value for the Confederate Divisional Commander is pretty much going to ensure Initiative rests with the Confederates, at least for the first part of the game. The rule book does give a very good first impression, I would like more of my sets to look like this.
I've been thinking the same thing, but even just with a couple opposing brigades on a side - one brigade hangs back, and it's commander detailed to keep his attrition points firm for winning initiative rolls (aka - game tactics, tactics).  ;)

It is a beautiful-looking ruleset, and I liked the results vs. process mechanics as soon as you described them. 

Offline Bydand

• Schoolboy
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2021, 03:51:41 PM »
Hi, Thanks Norm for the positive review of Bonnie Blue Flag on your blog and for taking the time to answer the rules queries that have been posted.
If I could just clarify the Initiative question.
Initiative is rolled for at the beginning of each new turn with each side using the current attrition level of their senior commander on the field. In the case of the Port Republic scenario in the rules this would be Jackson for the confederate player and Tyler for the Union player as Tyler was in overall command of the Union forces although of equal rank to Carrol.
Swordsman I think the article you are referring to is the one I wrote for Charles Grants Wargammers Annual 2018 called wagons Roll. It explains the mechanism I devised for one of the large weekend games mentioned by olicana and involved the resupply of attrition to players via a system of supply depots, railroads and wagons with the risk of these valuable assets being captured by roving enemy cavalry.
Hope the above has been of help.
Kevin

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2021, 08:51:42 PM »
Thanks Kevin - enjoying the rules thank you.

Offline swordman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2021, 06:28:22 AM »
thank you very much for the info Kevin. You have no idea how much time I spent looking for that article in various magazines while having it on hand. The rule regarding is a nice addition. Thanks.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2021, 12:11:46 PM »
Hi Kevin. Just wondering, for those who want to make their own scenarios, how many troops a base of onfantry or cavalry shpould represent? A base of artillery is obviously a section of 2 guns. I'm thinking of the opening infantry fight on McPherson's Ridge, July 1, 1863.

Edit: my guess is 50-60 troops per base?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 04:19:41 PM by vtsaogames »

Offline dallascowboy43

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2021, 01:06:33 PM »
Ordered the rules yesterday after the discussion on this thread, looking forward to them, does anyone have a link to the FPW amendments mentioned on the Edinburgh Wargames site?
Clive

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 07:27:29 PM »
My suggestions (off the top of my head) for FPW: Chassepot as small arms, Needle gun as carbines. French artillery as smoothbores, Krupp guns as rifled guns. French units 6 bases, Prussians 8 bases. More Prussians, more artillery. Cavalry does not dismount.