Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Romano British/Late Roman Renders  (Read 2770 times)

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
Victrix Romano British/Late Roman Renders
« on: May 10, 2021, 01:50:07 PM »
Victrix have posted a render of the first figure from their new Romano British/Late Roman range and very nice it looks too. From the render and sculpting style it could be the same sculptor who worked on the Vikings, Saxons and Normans.

Text from the post for those who don't use FB.

'Here we have the first renders of the first Late Roman / Romano British figure.

We have two helmet types so far on this figure but with more options to follow. Plus there will be bare heads, heads with facial hair and some Goth type heads to really extend the use of this set from Late Roman/ Romano British to Goth, Early Byzantine, Early Franks etc…
The shield is not sculpted yet and we will do some large ovals and some round. A lot of shield transfers are planed for this range and the breadth of nationalities it will cover.

He has plenty of weapon arm options and you will be able to interchange arms from the other figures in the set. Weapons include darts, javelins, hand axes and as much as we can get on the frame.

Our initial thinking for this set was going to be a mix of four unarmoured and four armoured figures plus command frame. However we are reconfiguring these to have a separate armoured and unarmoured set. Six figures on the main frame and six figures on the command frame.

We are also going to do a separate set of Light troops which will include archers, javelin skirmishers and also looking at some Staff slingers and slingers all in the same set.

Design sketches have been done for the first four figures in this set, leaving another two figures to design. Now we are open to a bit of customer input on these last two spearmen figures. It would be nice to do a couple of kneeling figures. So combined with the other figures you can make a very striking shield wall whilst still retaining enough standing fighting figures for those who only play skirmish games. Polite opinions on some kneeling or not kneeling figures is very welcome.

Let us know what you think!'

Looking like it could be a very interesting range.

Steve

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Victrix Romano British/Late Roman Renders
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 04:02:13 PM »
Excellent Steve  :-*

Any news on the release dates for the Norman dismounted Milites, Sergeants and Mounted Miltes please?

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 04:28:09 PM »
They’ve not mentioned anything yet, eagerly awaiting the Normans myself!

From what I’ve read on FB the cavalry are a ways off yet as there are a number of other sets in front of them. I would think later in the year for them.

I actually thought the Norman foot troops would of been out by now so I’m guessing tooling is taking a little longer than anticipated as we’ve not seen any shots of the test sprues yet. Fingers crossed we’ll hear something soon.

Steve

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 04:30:19 PM »
They’ve not mentioned anything yet, eagerly awaiting the Normans myself!

From what I’ve read on FB the cavalry are a ways off yet as there are a number of other sets in front of them. I would think later in the year for them.

I actually thought the Norman foot troops would of been out by now so I’m guessing tooling is taking a little longer than anticipated as we’ve not seen any shots of the test sprues yet. Fingers crossed we’ll hear something soon.

Steve

Ah well..... i can wait.... it's not like I really need any more..... but I inevitably will do!

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 05:28:14 PM »
Apart from the leg wraps/puttees these look quite similar to the Dacians - which are excellent head swaps for Roman Auxiliary Archers - so much kitbashing opportunity!

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 12:25:34 PM »
Apart from the leg wraps/puttees these look quite similar to the Dacians - which are excellent head swaps for Roman Auxiliary Archers - so much kitbashing opportunity!

I believe in one of the earlier post they mentioned that they had intentionally not sculpted the patches and such on the tunics so that they could be used for more than just the Romans.

Kit-bashing is definitely great with the Victrix kits. I've just ordered myself a sprue of Dacians so that I can make some dark age archers for my Viking/Saxon war bands.

Steve

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 07:16:06 AM »
Some more renders from Victrix, looking to be a very interesting set with lots of options.

Text from their post for those without FB access.

"Late Romano British

We are pleased to show you some renders of the Late Roman, Romano British, Goth/Germanic set we are currently working on. We have just finished all the parts for the main frame and have now started work on the command and personality frame. You will start to see some images in a week or two.

This is going to be an incredibly versatile set. We are including 30 heads on the main frame alone, covering various styles of helmet with clean shaven faces and helmet heads with facial hair and a lot of bare heads. A mix of Large Roman oval and round shields. There are cloaks and a huge amount of weapon arms including thrusting spears, Swords, axes, Angons and darts.

So from this one set you will be able to make Unarmoured Late Romans, Early Byzantines, Romano British and various Germanics such as Goths and Franks etc…

We will be doing an armoured warriors set and a specific set of light troops armed with bows and staff slings.
Keep an eye out for more updates."

Was not really interested in this range when they first announced it but the images they have shown and the sets they have planned certainly have my attention now. Managed to grab myself a copy of the old WAB supplement Age of Arthur recently for a little inspiration.  :D

Steve

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 10:56:54 AM »
If they're a good fit, more or less, with the Footsore Goths I will certainly be adding some to my collection. Same goes for the Late Romans

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 11:53:18 AM »
Thanks for sharing Steve.
So many lovely details emerging on these already  :-*
Looks like they've decided to basically produce a generic 'early dark ages' warrior set suitable for most territories and peoples in the former Western Roman Empire...

I've just got the new Norman set and they are really fantastic. I'm a big fan of Victrix and the ambition and scale of what they're doing. I do however have a few minor grizzles about what I'm seeing here...

1. Some of the heads appear to be re-used Saxon Fyrd heads - or almost identical. I guess one hairy Dark Ages head is much like another, but still... I also think the frizzy hair is somewhat overdone, and this applies to some of the other more recent sets too. Ancient Celts with lime-washed hair, fair enough. But not really keen on the inclusion of so many heads with manic manes for other periods and settings. Some bare heads with more realistic / natural-looking hair would be preferable.

2. The creases in the soft clothing are too exaggerated. I appreciate these are computer renders, and the effect is less pronounced by the time they are translated into actual plastic production mouldings. But I think they go a bit overboard with the creasing. Less is sometimes more.

3. These don't look too bad so far, but I'm not a fan of the sometimes 'over-dynamic' posing. There are a couple of stock poses which have appeared in all the Viking / Saxon / Norman sets, where the body is twisting, leaning back... Just too much. For a diorama, I guess these kind of figures in exaggerated combat poses would be useful. But they look a bit odd in amongst advancing / standing, even attacking wargames units.  Just personal preferences / biases obviously :)

Overall though, I'm sure these are going to be as brilliant and impressive as the other recent sets, and no doubt I'll be adding the set to my extensive plastic sprue library  lol

What I'm really waiting for though, are those gorgeous Norman cavalry to arrive...  8)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 12:26:29 PM »
I agree with Captain Blood on all of his points, particularly about the creases in the clothing and the more extreme poses that seem to appear more in the recent sets. The body-twisting back for a mighty blow pose especially seems to leave one of the main torsos useless for anything else. The poses start to look a bit awkward as well, but not quite to Wargames Factory standards.

If I could add one more criticism that may slot me into a minority: the weapons are too thin on the recent sets. I understand the desire for more realistic proportions and I'm game for sensible axe heads, sword blades and such, but the spear shafts on the Saxons are so thin that I am worried about their durability on the gaming table. I know some people weren't too pleased with the thickness of the spears in the Victrix Republican Roman sets, but to me it's a compromise for the fact these are primarily for wargames tables.

That said, I love what Victrix are doing, and it's great to see so many useful sets coming out.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 02:10:44 PM »
That is a good point David. Some of the spears in the Saxon set are super fragile. Beautifully done, and probably realistic in scale, but can’t see them lasting long on the wargames table with some of the hamfisted types I sometimes play with. That said, the spears in the Norman set look to be a little more robust, so maybe they’ve learned and adjusted somewhat…

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 02:27:53 PM »
I certainly agree about the weapons, although I've not had any problems myself yet I would like to see them produced a little thicker.

Had not noticed the duplicate heads but have noticed the creases. I do think they look more pronounced in the renders than they do on the miniatures themselves. It's an area where I think the Perry's experience really shows.

I've seen a number of people pick up on the pose thing. I personally don't mind them but then my interest is small skirmish games and I'm not trying to rank them up. There have been one or two where I think it has been a little extreme though and that seems to have limited the options available for those particular figures. I seem to recall from an old post that a lot of the ancient and dark age sets were based on the original sculpts for the Iberians so I think rank and file poses are unlikely to change much.

Agree with you both though, despite these minor things I really do like these new sets and the kit bashing potential between them is great. Very much looking forward to the Norman cavalry too!

Steve

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 05:13:16 PM »
I agree about the poses - I bought the Norman infantry recently and noticed that a lot of the bodies were similar to the ones in the Saxon and Viking sets of which I only picked up a sprue of each but I do think that I'm going to struggle to make 60 uniquely posed Normans! I'd like to see a few more passive poses in their future sets.
Also the way they design their kits as marvellous as they are they do limit your options with heads and arms etc to an extent as certain heads only fit on certain bodies thus reducing the versatility.
With the Normans I've found assembly fairly slow going as I've had to refer to the rather extensive guide to what goes where.
Makes me yearn for the days of the RTB1 imperial space marine box set!!  lol