Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Samnites Army  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 15mm Samnites Army
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 09:21:18 AM »
hand-painted shields ...  :o :-*
love the video too.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2021, 09:22:47 PM »
@OSHIROmodels: Cheers! :)

@frank xerox: By all means, go for it. They're all starting to get a bit ruddy and I need an excuse to buy new ones.

@has.been: Yeah, it's a good combination, isn't it. :D Cheers!

@Jjonas: Thank you! I find painting anything below 28mm to be really relaxing. I mean 15mm's got almost the level of detail of 28mm, but it's less work with blending and shading and all that annoying stuff. :)

@MGH: Thanks! That's a small sentence, but it's incredibly nice and reaffirming to read.

@Hu Rhu: Cheers! I got some samples to work off of, found some more on the internet and then just went with variations of these ~25 designs.

@rumacara: No, YOU are lovely! :P thanks!

@Cyrus1: Thanks muchly!

@RedRowan: Cheers! Yeah, I painted these over a really long timespan too, so at points I properly lost the overview of that project. On the plus side I'm weirdly proud of the fact that over the course of I think two years I didn't lose a single shield! And that's an achievement, considering the number of different boxes I kept them, the amount of times I knocked them over and Samnites and shields spilled all over the floor... :D

@Totleben: That may be, but these should be pretty close, right? Please, tell me they are.. :D

@Irregular Wars Nic: Much appreciated! Yeah, finishing a proper big army and seeing it all set up on a table is always special. But of course with these guys, all with their individual shield designs and individual cloth patterns... it's a bit extra special. And of course Ancient armies just always look cool all lined up.

@mellis1644: Thank you! :)

@duivelindoosje: Cheers! Well, there's some more 15mm Ancients lined up already. :) A few years ago I also painted a pretty big army for By Fire and Sword (the picture showing about 50% of the army)...

..and even longer ago a large Russian Flames of War army. Otherwise 15mm projects have always been more like multiple smaller batches. Oh, I painted a lot of 18mm Napoleonics as well of course, but wasn't allowed to base them, so they don't look as impressive.  But yeah, love painting 15mm. So if you or your friends got a 15mm army to paint ... :D 15mm is also a really sensible size of figures to pretty much any tactical level. Me, I mostly use it for skirmish games though to be honest. My WW2 collection is mostly 15mm (for platoon-level games). For Thirty Years War battles I use 10mm, and for Napoleonic battles 6mm.

@DintheDin: Thanks, buddy! :)

@Bloggard: Ha, thanks very much! I'd love to do more videos in the future and there sure is plenty of room for improvement. :D

Offline player

• Student
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 08:10:28 PM »
You say 97% are Xyston. I don't see any Samnites in the Xyston range? Which figure codes did you use and what range of figures are the other 3%?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:14:42 PM by player »

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2021, 11:15:04 AM »
@player: That's a very good question. The infantry is Xyston's "Italiote" range: https://www.scotiagrendel.com/Xyston/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_3_7_34. A collection of the best hats of the Ancient world, if you ask me. :D The other 3% (approximately) is the cavalry and the odd general figures, which are Essex (but on Xyston horses). The farmer/priest with the straw hat and the chicken are from the Forged in Battle range. (that's a 15mm farm animals blister I bought a few years ago)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 12:48:15 PM »
What a stunning army. Beautiful work.

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2021, 09:04:32 AM »
 :o

Fantastic looking army.  Hard to believe they are 15mm scale.  You should feel incredibly proud of what you have achieved.   

Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2021, 10:20:58 AM »
Fantastic looking army! 8)

Christopher

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2021, 03:36:47 PM »
@Elk101: Thanks very much! Yeah, it is a bit impressive, I have to admit myself. :D

@Rabbitz: Thank you, Sir! I am. :) And that's something skirmish warbands just can't do, right? I Mean they can look very pretty and so on, but having a fully finished proper army in front of you is something unique.

@Axebreaker: Cheers, Christopher!

Well, good news: Seems like I get to add a few more skirmisher bases to this army :D So stay tuned.

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2021, 08:48:26 AM »
Absolutely stunning! Love the freehand shields. The scenic shots are also great and I look forward to the footage with rail. What setup do you use?

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2021, 07:41:41 PM »
@Peithetairos: Thanks very much! Yeah, currently I'm using a setup of "that camera I got, switched to 'video'". :D I haven't done anything video since due to the lack of time, but when I do bigger army shots again I should put up some sort of rail system. There actually are some rather inexpensive solutions with wheels you basically put underneath your tripod or stuff like that. The hilarious alternative would be putting on rollerskates, I suppose. :D

Heyhey, here's some stragglers. 6 more skirmisher bases made up from leftovers.

Also, here's 6 more skirmisher bases for the 15mm Samnites army, made up from leftovers:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_08/skirmishersNEU.jpg.5308b05d5ab3daebdcbcdcc8a8951f73.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_08/skirmishersNEU2.jpg.75efb44b395ee0dcbe386e43d3c2e03b.jpg

Trying to finish the Dark Souls set until the end of the month, and then I'll paint some 15mm Gauls, followed by a whole lot of yellow Eldar vehicles! And then loads more 15mm Gauls. Hooray!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2021, 07:23:12 AM »
Bright colors! Shading and highlighting so well done, that the figure shapes are well-defined from a distance!
And convincing shield designs! What else to ask? Perfect! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2021, 09:29:06 PM »
Most impresssive!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2021, 02:50:21 PM »
@DintheDin: Thanks very much! Yeah, the gentleman I paint these for made it a point not to use a.) blacklining and b.) pure black in general, because it looks unrealistic. Which is a viable approach to things, I have to say.

@bigredbat: Cheers!

Right, the Samnites project is done. I dove right into a 15mm Gauls project of similar proportions (not quite as huge, but from what I can tell judging from the first 12 bases certainly no less labour intensive. Those guys really like their plaids, don't they). I'll get a thread started on this as soon as I have pictures. Hope to see you there!

Offline Warren_Gleeson

• Student
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2021, 04:57:29 PM »
The detailing on the figures is fantastic, but the spectacle of the army in all its glory is amazing.

Thank you for sharing.  I'll keep any eye open for your future presentations

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2021, 08:25:17 PM »
Super impressive. Love them.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/