Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:00:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Last Kingdom in 28mm using SAGA  (Read 3348 times)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
The Last Kingdom in 28mm using SAGA
« on: May 19, 2021, 07:32:44 PM »
Hi Chaps,

Well it took a year to take the plunge but after finally finishing off a large (for me) amount of GW fantasy figures I was free to buy the Viking Saga starter set from Gripping Beast. I intend to play solo and the setting for my little world will be The Last Kingdom series from Netflix.

This could have been slotted into the fantasy section (?) but it is set well and truly in the Age of Arthur and I would also appreciate the advice of others who have trod this path before me. With the help of son number two I will put photo updates on here and already have several buildings underway.

Has anyone done this before? I intend to use the Late Romans from Gripping Beast as a base for the Arthurian army and have encountered the first little bump in the road-does anyone produce a King Arthur figure similar to the David Dawson character? He is rather slender and wears a mail shirt...

Thanks for any help and pointers. Everyone has probably already seen Saga Thorsday on Youtube but I thought I would mention it as I find it great listening/occasional glancing when I am painting and may well be worth a look for others.

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
Re: The Last Kingdom in 28mm using SAGA
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 07:48:17 PM »
I think you're confusing Alfred with Arthur. Rather than Late Romans you'd be after Anglo-Saxons.

Offline Cerdic

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 10:28:31 PM »
Yes, King Alfred the Great, late 9th Century, is the setting for The Last Kingdom.

The Arthurian Age was 400-odd years earlier!

The Last Kingdom TV series was criticised for the ahistorical look of the Anglo-Saxons in particular. To replicate the 'TV look', I would use Normans and find some rectangular shields for them!

Not sure where to find a skinny King figure, though...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 10:30:08 PM »
You're going to need some shields with holes in the middle for the Welsh  lol

Don't blame me, blame the production crews  lol Every time I think of it I wet myself....... totally crazy even for a TV production  :D

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 07:39:28 AM »
Old age has well and truly set in! I did indeed confuse Alfred and Arthur!  o_o I do intend to continue with this and use the tv series as a template. Looks like it will be Anglo Saxons... I suppose the idea of a more uniform look for them will have to be abandoned.
Still need to find a slender ALFRED figure. Thanks for the help which I needed immediately.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 08:15:14 AM »
Might be an idea to have a look at a proper 25mm figure for Alfred, some of them are a tad slimmer than a chunky 28mm figure?
If memory serves the bloke on the tele was a right sickly looking weedy little runt.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 09:24:24 AM »
Footsore make a great Alfred miniature.

I've been doing something similar but with their wonderful Æthelflæd mini.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »
Spot on Harry! The character playing Alfred was portrayed as a bit of a weakling... must watch the series again, I rather felt it suited the story.
Skyven I had not seen those Footsore characters, my wallet will take a hit and maybe use him as a warlord/hero... will look at the rest of the range as well. I had not considered them before but the Saxon Priest is really nice

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 02:07:24 PM »
Might be an idea to have a look at a proper 25mm figure for Alfred, some of them are a tad slimmer than a chunky 28mm figure?
If memory serves the bloke on the tele was a right sickly looking weedy little runt.

:)
As he was in real life!

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 07:02:07 PM »

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 09:49:19 PM »
Rumucara, yes I think they will be the winner, I had forgotten all about Black Tree Designs and will have a look through their range. So far I seem to be amassing more characters than actual troops but a few boxes of Gripping Beast plastics should even this up. Thanks for that link it was very useful.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 07:29:10 AM »
Really enjoyed the books (though there is a sneaking feeling, in the last couple I've read, that Cornwall is a bit bored now and just phoning it in) I couldn't even make it through the first episode of the TV series which was utterly awful. I recommend reading the books if you have the time.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 07:42:09 AM »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 07:45:16 AM »
Yep, good luck with that, wild horses wouldn't drag me into ordering from 'em!

:-[

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 08:06:11 AM »
They seem to have sold off some of their problematic lines and are using kickstarter in order to get funds for new molds. We always did receive our stuff but it took some time. Too bad they seem to be lousy at communication as well, otherwise you simply could have phoned and ask/mail about availability.
Ah well. The big majority of BTD models I've acquired this year have been 2nd hands, so that might be your best best ;-).
Leadhead