Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:23:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Red Box Games closing down  (Read 4981 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Red Box Games closing down
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 06:15:17 PM »
Tre's (non Reaper) style is for close to true proportion, so his figures are the same height as standard 28mm ranges but do not have the same oversized heads and hands. Makes his figures look slender and small.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 06:39:52 PM »
Tre's (non Reaper) style is for close to true proportion, so his figures are the same height as standard 28mm ranges but do not have the same oversized heads and hands. Makes his figures look slender and small.

Thanks. I wonder though how they compare to Footsore. I late pledged the recent Baron's War campaign, so don't have the models yet, but from what I can tell they (footsore minis) don't appear to have the classic oversized heads and hands.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 06:52:56 PM »
Haven't noticed any scale issues within the range (figures have a lot of natural looking variation in body shapes and things though, love that), but they certainly are typically rather differentially proportioned compared to many other ranges, which is good to be aware of. Can't directly compare them to Footsore at the moment, but the minis I have from them are also rather slender from memory, so they might actually be a reasonable fit if the height difference isn't too bad.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 08:38:29 PM »
Can confirm they are on the small side, least the ones I've got. Sometimes that doesn't matter, sometimes it does.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 12:25:34 PM »
Does anyone know how Tre's halflings size up against Games Workshop Lord of the Rings halflings? Can somebody post a comparison picture?
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2021, 01:54:40 PM »
Guess Tre will be back one way or the other. The fact that he doesn't want / isn't ready yet to sell the line - or even lease it out to someone for continuity - says so imho.
Hope you'll be back, Tre.
Leadhead

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2021, 10:50:03 AM »
Does anyone know how Tre's halflings size up against Games Workshop Lord of the Rings halflings? Can somebody post a comparison picture?
Found this: https://azazelx.com/2011/08/20/red-box-games-size-comparisons-with-gw-lord-of-the-rings-figures/
From memory, the GW Hobbits are fairly consistent in size (unlike e.g. the humans), so these would be a tad smaller still.

The Dwarves are basically a perfect match, which is terrific news (though will end up costing me some money...). Several other RBG ranges have somewhat smaller heads on the figures, though height-wise they'll fit in with the Middle-earth sculpts pretty well.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2021, 12:46:41 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to look into this for me Coenus - much appreciated.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2021, 06:14:25 PM »
Sad news.  He is a very talented sculptor.

Offline Black Arrow

• Schoolboy
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2021, 05:06:58 AM »
Tre Manor is an immensely talented sculptor who has been inspiring me for many years. Tre Manor along with Kev White really got me into the hobby and for that they'll always have my thanks, and as someone with an artistically-inclined family member who is also losing eyesight, my heart goes out to him.

It's been very hard to watch Redbox's developing financial straights over these past few years, I have found it very hard to understand what has led Tre on multiple occasions to drop sculpts and entire lines from his store suddenly. The Orcs and Helsvakt and original goblins for example-I would have dearly loved to see those ranges expanded upon, but in some cases they disappeared before I even got a chance to buy them. More than once I have hesitated to invest in one of his ranges out of uncertainty that it would remain available long enough to work my way through it.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2021, 08:50:19 AM »
Tre Manor along with Kev White really got me into the hobby and for that they'll always have my thanks, and as someone with an artistically-inclined family member who is also losing eyesight, my heart goes out to him.
By far the two favorite sculptors of mine.
Im very sad about this... Tre made the best looking dwarves of all times (in my opinion of course), and his human sculpts have a very strong atmosphere. But I never bought anything, because the scale... I always hoped, that he will make a new line, fitting to other manufacturers.
Maybe I should buy some sculpts and make a diorama, as long as Im able to.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2021, 10:52:33 AM »
Very sad news to hear. :(

Like many others, I found the size/scale differences of his models were just too big a difference for me to incorporate RBG figures into my other games. I excitedly bought some barbarians and some elves back when they first came out, to use in dungeon crawlers, and they were tiny by comparison to the other 28mm figs I already had.

I did try and buy some other figures later on (my logic being that I liked the figures, and that doing a project with exclusively RBG figures only would solve the size/scale issues I had), but between never knowing what was being worked on next, or when it would be out, I always found that the models I wanted were invariably out of stock or out of production. That was a good while back, and at that point I just stopped trying - buying some models should never be that hard!  :?

I love Tre's sculpting style, and I really liked that he was a traditional GS artist making metal models. What I never understood is why he chose a scale so different from everybody else's, and why it was so difficult to have a wider plan or roadmap for each faction. That said, I do understand that it's hard being a 1-person operation, and that creativity doesn't always strike when you need it to.

Whatever he gets up to in the future, I heartily wish Tre all the best, and I hope that his model ranges eventually resurface and get completed/rounded out to a reasonable point.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2021, 12:23:36 PM »
In fairness the height of the models isn't much different from the standard 28mm models I also have, it's more the proportions. I bought a bunch of the Njorns and really loved the smaller heads sculpted on, because this made the bodies look more powerful (similar to how comic books proportion their characters). But next to Gripping Beast and Foundry Vikings they do jar a bit. It's like they are sculpted in the proportions of a tall man, but with a slightly less than average height, if that makes sense. They're beautiful models and I got around it by raising their height on their bases, but although I'm very happy with them I get why it may put some people off.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2021, 01:07:59 PM »
Some of his models are quite flat. I remember a kickstarter form some 5 years ago which dit feature a fantasy warband, a bear, some wolves and some multipart fighters. Especially the multiparts were more 2D than 3D, just out of place with the other models ( or 28 mm miniatures on the whole ). Missed his earlier kickstarters, the norse, the barbarians, picked up a few of those models but those are spot-on. A well, as said before, hope he'll get the mojo and funding back to continue his work...

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2021, 09:49:47 PM »
I think Tre has been experimenting with different stuff over the last few years - multi-parts, CAD, plastics - to grow the business, some of which hasn't been successful.