Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:02:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Narrative Rules that Focus on the Squad / Warband vs. Individuals?  (Read 975 times)

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
    • Will's Tabletop Projects
Hey guys,

I'm slowly chipping away at a narrative skirmish rule set. I'd like to keep the focus on the group (approx. 10-30 figures) compared to rules where the focus is on the individuals (whether that's a squad of heroes or a single leader/officer).

Think something akin to Band of Brothers' Easy Company - yeah, there are individuals and officers, but the story itself is about the men as a whole, the battles they fought, and the places they served.

Are there narrative rules designed with that sort of focus?

If so, I'd love some recommendations?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 07:38:11 PM by WillPhillips »
Focused on 6mm pike and shot and 28mm Frostgrave
Blogging about my projects at Tabletop.WillPhillips.org

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
Re: Narrative Rules that Focus on the Squad / Warband vs. Individuals?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 09:14:40 AM »
Are you talking about something like the legendary Games Workshop Realms of Chaos?  A chaos champion leads his warband to triumph or disaster picking up followers along the way alongside various mutations.

Chain of Command campaign supplement has rules for the effects of battle on the platoon, not just what happens to the casualties but it tracks the men's opinion of the platoon commander and his Captain's opinion of him as well depending upon how the platoon performed. 

Offline Carrakon

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 09:15:36 AM »
Nordic Weasel Games' "Five Men at Kursk" might be just what you're after: You get one Squad of WWII soldiers you follow through a campaign. While individuals do play a role, most of it is more tied to the squad as a whole, than the usual "hero"-stuff - i.e. you got for example "key individuals" which bolster some aspect (for example mobility) for the whole squad as long as they're around.

The campaign system is very fun, too - how many wargames are there, where your men might face court martial after retreating?

Gamesize is well inside your given preference: usually you play with your squad plus some support. The rules do, however, support going bigger to up to 3 Squads plus support, should you so desire.

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/174545/Five-Men-at-Kursk
If I were you, I'd rather be me.

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 07:01:59 PM »
Are you talking about something like the legendary Games Workshop Realms of Chaos?  A chaos champion leads his warband to triumph or disaster picking up followers along the way alongside various mutations.

Chain of Command campaign supplement has rules for the effects of battle on the platoon, not just what happens to the casualties but it tracks the men's opinion of the platoon commander and his Captain's opinion of him as well depending upon how the platoon performed.

I think Realms of Chaos may predate my time in the hobby in a serious manner. Will take a look.

The Chain of Command campaign rules look potentially relevant. Will look at that, as well. Is it focused on the platoon commander, or does it spread out the focus on the platoon as a whole?

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 07:03:33 PM »
Nordic Weasel Games' "Five Men at Kursk" might be just what you're after: You get one Squad of WWII soldiers you follow through a campaign. While individuals do play a role, most of it is more tied to the squad as a whole, than the usual "hero"-stuff - i.e. you got for example "key individuals" which bolster some aspect (for example mobility) for the whole squad as long as they're around.

The campaign system is very fun, too - how many wargames are there, where your men might face court martial after retreating?

Gamesize is well inside your given preference: usually you play with your squad plus some support. The rules do, however, support going bigger to up to 3 Squads plus support, should you so desire.

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/174545/Five-Men-at-Kursk

Have heard lots of good things about Nordic Weasel's Five XYZ series of games. Haven't taken the plunge on any of them, but sounds like it might be a helpful reference.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 07:18:59 PM »
I publish a little ruleset called planet 28 (and a fantasy version, Brutal quest that has more RPG elements)
It's designed for small warbands of custom characters and the solo rule set also adds rules for single character warbands :)

it's free on wargames vault if you want to give it a read and see if it's what you're after - only 12 pages! :)

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 07:30:10 PM »
I publish a little ruleset called planet 28 (and a fantasy version, Brutal quest that has more RPG elements)
It's designed for small warbands of custom characters and the solo rule set also adds rules for single character warbands :)

it's free on wargames vault if you want to give it a read and see if it's what you're after - only 12 pages! :)

Well well well, it's nic_the_evans from the 'Gram!

We chatted briefly over there (I'm sevenlabors) after I missed the KS for Brutal Quest. Picked up the PDF from the vault, but if you've got any leftover print copies, I'd still be interested in buying one from you.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 07:40:10 PM »
Well well well, it's nic_the_evans from the 'Gram!

We chatted briefly over there (I'm sevenlabors) after I missed the KS for Brutal Quest. Picked up the PDF from the vault, but if you've got any leftover print copies, I'd still be interested in buying one from you.

Ha, the tiny world of wargaming!
Yeah I have copies of brutal quest over at the mammoth webstore, Or you can get them through rooks press :)

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 10:07:40 PM »
Ha, the tiny world of wargaming!
Yeah I have copies of brutal quest over at the mammoth webstore, Or you can get them through rooks press :)

Cool. I'll go put an order in.