Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:51:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Newline Design 28mm Bengal lancers vs Foundry  (Read 4787 times)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Re: Newline Design 28mm Bengal lancers vs Foundry
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2021, 12:11:52 AM »
Dear Giorgio

If you really like Foundry NWF like I do ..just stick to it…with just an head swap you could also have Sikh troopers ..spare Sikh heads from woodbine or Perry ww2 are on the slim side so absolutely compatible with the classic foundry (which indeed had big heads as concern figure proportion which are small for toda’s syandards )..as for your question about compability between newline designs and WF the answer is yes ..they are compatible..sorry for the moment I’m not able to post a picture cause my metal boxes  full of unpainted colonials are in the cellar which is among a cloud of dust and a crazy mess as I’m having made some shelves ecc to store my too big wargame collections..in my imperial NWF army  I have a mounted force made out of 1 quadron or basic unit in TSATF therms  (12 castings) of Wargame Foundry Bengal /Indian Lancers in campaign dress , 1 of  sword/carbine armed  mounted Guides by Old Glory and 1 last squadron of Bengal Lancer in attention  pose with upright lances by Conoisseur (a kind present from your foe Umrah Khan 😏😏🙂) that ll paint as the iconic toy soldier type “skinner horse”..all the 3 units from those above mentioned manufactures are perfectly compatible even if in different units..the Newlines are of similar design/proportions ..unfortunately Artizan are bigger, Perry different style and taller …as concern Wargame Atlantic Afghan cavalry if you ll use the options for regular Amir’s Afghan red or brown clad cavalrymen they could be useful but I guess that, contrary to our friend and expert Mad Guru, you re building an army and gaming NWF punitive exepeditions and not the Second Afghan War..and from what I read there is not a single evidence of a Pathan or Mashud or Afridi mounted unit fighting the Anglo-Indian columns …so even if interesting the NWF mounted tribesmen are useful only for a polo match or in support of Rambo 🙂

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2021, 09:58:55 AM »
Thanks! My real problem is that I follow the malicious counselling of the perfidous Umra... This morning we were discussing about the absolute need of mules for my future artillery for my Raj. I'm thinking to Askaris... An alternative could be Old Glory... For artillery I'm thinking to Foundry Sikh plus an officer in Poshteen that I already have, Problem with FOundry is that are blistered in a very strange way, not very effective...
I have read your comments about Umra, please take care before congratulating him for my future fortress,,, lol
DO you have mules / logistics...?
p.s. Mad Guru was totally right. I told him 2AW but you are right as it is more a matter of punitive expeditions and not regular battles. Not another Maiwand lol
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 10:03:45 AM by giorgio »

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2021, 10:23:53 AM »
The perfidous Umra ...please dont forget is a Khan,
Has always a good thought for you ,poor Wazir.
And already dispenses a good advice to you , poor Wazir.
So don't look any longer for Pathan's cavalry, as stated by Italwars too,  and don't paint Pathan's turbans green or pink or violet...and next time before pronouncing my name wash your mouth and clean your ...apple
🤣🤣
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 10:40:33 AM by Umra Khan »

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2021, 10:37:57 AM »
Dear Giorgio

If you really like Foundry NWF like I do ..just stick to it…with just an head swap you could also have Sikh troopers ..spare Sikh heads from woodbine or Perry ww2 are on the slim side so absolutely compatible with the classic foundry (which indeed had big heads as concern figure proportion which are small for toda’s syandards )..as for your question about compability between newline designs and WF the answer is yes ..they are compatible..sorry for the moment I’m not able to post a picture cause my metal boxes  full of unpainted colonials are in the cellar which is among a cloud of dust and a crazy mess as I’m having made some shelves ecc to store my too big wargame collections..in my imperial NWF army  I have a mounted force made out of 1 quadron or basic unit in TSATF therms  (12 castings) of Wargame Foundry Bengal /Indian Lancers in campaign dress , 1 of  sword/carbine armed  mounted Guides by Old Glory and 1 last squadron of Bengal Lancer in attention  pose with upright lances by Conoisseur (a kind present from your foe Umrah Khan 😏😏🙂) that ll paint as the iconic toy soldier type “skinner horse”..all the 3 units from those above mentioned manufactures are perfectly compatible even if in different units..the Newlines are of similar design/proportions ..unfortunately Artizan are bigger, Perry different style and taller …as concern Wargame Atlantic Afghan cavalry if you ll use the options for regular Amir’s Afghan red or brown clad cavalrymen they could be useful but I guess that, contrary to our friend and expert Mad Guru, you re building an army and gaming NWF punitive exepeditions and not the Second Afghan War..and from what I read there is not a single evidence of a Pathan or Mashud or Afridi mounted unit fighting the Anglo-Indian columns …so even if interesting the NWF mounted tribesmen are useful only for a polo match or in support of Rambo 🙂

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2021, 11:12:24 AM »
I don't like how Old Glory has organized his pack mules.
The screwgun where divided in 2 pieces, barrell and breech,
Another mule for the wheels, and a 4th mule for gun carriage.
Other mules for powder and projectiles.
The Askari miniatures  set is well made.
I think a good wargame compromise  is 1 mule for the gun. 1 for the wheels, 1 for gun carriage and 1 for ammunition, so 4 mules and 4 mulateers.
I have the  Connoisseurs mulateers, Old Ral Partha artillerymen and Willie Suren gun crew, as gun servants I use the wargames Foundry Indian artillery crew,.
My 2 cents.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 01:14:28 PM by Umra Khan »

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2021, 11:22:23 AM »
It seems the winner is Askari!

https://askari-minis.com/images/A-1-M-3p.jpg

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 11:24:16 AM »
Giorgio,

RE: mules for artillery transport, I highly recommend pack in Old Glory NWF range, which contains 6 mules carrying various screw-gun loads as well as multiple uniformed muleteers, samples of which can be seen in the 2 pics below, from the 1880 Battle of Kandahar game I ran last August.  The size of figures in the Old Glory NWF range fits very well with those old Wargames Foundry colonials you -- and I, and so many others -- love so much:

RE: Irregular tribal cavalry on the NWF... as far as I know, Italwars is absolutely right.  I have also never read about mounted tribesmen engaging in battle with Anglo-Indian forces on the frontier.  However, during the Second Afghan War, a significant portion of Afghan cavalry did consist of irregular tribesmen, in addition to the remainder made up of uniformed regulars.  This was the case at both Maiwand and Kandahar.  RE: Wargames Atlantic's plastic Afghans, I tried hard to track down their "Afghan Warriors" infantry when they were first released here in the USA, but failed.  I know they announced a future set of cavalry also, but I didn't know those figures had actually been released.  I will have to Google around for a look at them.  These are indeed boon times for we 19th Century Afghan Wars and NWF colonial gamers!

EDIT: It seems Umra Khan commented while I was in the midst of writing my own comment, and he disagrees with my vote for the Old Glory screw-gun Mule Team.  No worries, different strokes for different folks!  I have a few Tiger Miniatures figures in my collection as well, and no doubt they will do splendidly.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 11:29:01 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2021, 12:56:59 PM »
Mad Guru nothing against your Old Glory artillery pack mules, I have seen in your post that you have properly mounted gun and carriage on mules.
I have seen a photo on the Old Glory site that I don't find correct, gun and wheels mounted on the same mule.
I though the kit is like this for this reason my worries.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 01:13:34 PM by Umra Khan »

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2021, 01:15:05 PM »
thank you Mad Guru, your pictured ones are really outstanding. very very nice.
Of course your comments are different from Umra's. He is just jealous of my growing powerness.
By the way are you following the topic of our campaign? I will homage your kindness with his head at the end of it lol

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2021, 01:22:16 PM »
thank you Mad Guru, your pictured ones are really outstanding. very very nice.
Of course your comments are different from Umra's. He is just jealous of my growing powerness.
By the way are you following the topic of our campaign? I will homage your kindness with his head at the end of it lol

🤣😂🤣👏👏👏👏

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2021, 06:04:49 PM »
Mulehead Khan there are many stories in India,

one that suite for you is this:
" there are three things you must fear in life , the cobra bite ,the tiger claw and the Afridi's revenge"

you are choosing the worst !

Signed Umra Khan of Jandol

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2021, 08:45:36 PM »
This wargame will be the most terrible ever seen, the Mother and father of all wargames. The anticipation of the battle report (with lots of photos I hope) already has me trembling in fear. Keep it up guys!  lol
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2021, 10:04:10 PM »
This wargame will be the most terrible ever seen, the Mother and father of all wargames. The anticipation of the battle report (with lots of photos I hope) already has me trembling in fear. Keep it up guys!  lol

Thanks Vodkafan I hope you enjoy the remainder of our campaign, due to Covid and other amenities battle will be played in a couple of weeks.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2021, 01:12:00 AM »
HAHAHAH!!!!

You guys put a smile on my face every time.  Like our colleague, vodkafan, I am most certainly following the preparations for your campaign, and pledge to leave more comments on those threads in the future!  Your mutual trash talking is awesome, and reminds me of what goes on between a group of colonial gamers I've been playing with for the past 10+ years.  We met at the first all Colonial wargaming convention in the USA (though of course, in keeping with the style of our hobby, it wasn't really all colonial!).  Sadly we are scattered across the USA, but we've gotten together a couple of time in the intervening years and more recently we managed to play some remote games during the Pandemic.  But I haven't seen that sort of thing on a public forum thread before, which somehow makes it more wonderful, at least to me!  I sincerely hope you continue to insult one another -- albeit within the bounds of decorum -- as your frontier campaign continues!  You are of course right that the photo you posted from that Old Glory site has one mule's pack-load incorrectly assembled, which is very unfortunate!  The photo on display at the other Old Glory 25mm sales site is better, though unfortunately it doesn't show the entire contents of the pack in question either:

Meanwhile, though no one is asking, I tracked down a few more pics of my Old Glory Mountain Gun Mule Train, which I am sharing below.  I promise this will be the last thing I post about Old Glory Mountain Gun Pack Mules on this thread!

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2021, 12:36:00 PM »
Mad Guru please break your promise and add such beautifull pictures whenever you feel appropriate ;)
My topic is...your topic lol
Is the construction of such impressive rocks  described anywhere?

Unfortunately the desert voices are reporting that Umra has collected other figures and scenery and it will be thougher than planned but, with the Mightful help, the pet of Kafiri will be in chains and all his masters defeated.
Most honourable Mad, please be so generous to consider the possibility to attend my incoronation cerimony which will be held in the fort, Umra's past owner, just after his jump in the horrid ravine he is collecting... Unfortunately before I have to handle with some stupid Feringhi who believe they can overcome the Almighty will.
I prostrate myself at your feet and I rely on your wise suggestions to eradicate Umra's contagious pestilence...
In my new flag is written in Urdu "Death to Feringhi"...
But to increase my youths morale I should complete the bases ...