Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:18:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim's Modern Stuff (Northern Gambola Aid Convoy Set-up...Pg 26 - 23 Apr 24)  (Read 46749 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Great AAR and photos  8)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Gripping stuff Capt. :)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Thanks, Gents!  And now, for the final chapter in our "gripping" ( ;)) tale...

Part 3 - Get to the Choppers!

While things were looking up (mostly) for our SpecOps boys and the folks they had rescued, it wasn't over yet.

The Balszaki rebels were trading shots with Cowboy 3 in the OP, and while they had suffered a number of casualties at the hands of the OP, they were beginning to give better than they got.  Men in the OP were going down, and it wasn't looking good over there.

But Cowboy 2 had freed that last 3 prisoners.

Meanwhile, the rest of the force was collapsing their lines toward the LZ (and, unfortunately away from the OP).  More local thugs made an appearance, with some spilling out of that large central building, and some making their way downstairs in that 2-story building near the LZ.  The ones that came from the central building were taken care of by the assault team that was covering the force's 6, while the ones in the building by the LZ were slowly driven up onto the roof by Cowboy 2, where they were engaged by nearly everyone on the rescue force...

At about the time all that was happening, 2 more rebel trucks full of rebels came in, one from the south and one from the north.  And, in both cases, it proved to be "wrong place, wrong time...".  For in both cases, they came on right in front of the anti-armor teams and an assault team heading to the LZ.  A couple of AT rockets and a few bursts of M4 fire later, and those 2 trucks and their occupants were no more...

At this point, everyone but the assault team that had gone to retrieve the fallen M60 gunner had made it to the LZ, and that team was heading there and getting close.  Cowboy 1 called in for the choppers waiting on standby.

But, they had lost contact with Cowboy 3 at the OP.  After Cowboy 3 had radioed in it looked like they were about to be overrun, they had quit answering their radio.  And, except for the sound of approaching helicopters, things had gotten pretty quiet.

Conclusions...

And with that, our 15 turns were up.  All of the assault force, with all 12 prisoners, were at the LZ, except for the assault team with the downed M60 gunner.  And they were heading that way and only a couple turns away.  With nearly all the resistance taken care of (except a lone thug with an old hunting rifle, and the 3 rebels closing in on the OP), we decided that the choppers would wait for the assault team with the M60 gunner to get there.

Also, as an epilogue, we decided that Cowboy 6 grabbed a couple men from the LZ, put them on his Little Bird's skid-benches, and went over and rescued Cowboy 3 at the OP (one man had not been hit, but had backed away from their position and its radio).

So, our SpecOps men had rescued all 12 prisoners.  But in the course of the battle, 8 of the SpecOps men had been hit.  Of those 8, 3 were put back in action.  For the other 5 (the RTO, the M60 gunner, and 3 men from the OP), we rolled on the "What happened to him?" chart in the core Fistful of Lead book's campaign section.  Of those 5, 1 ended up OK, while 4 needed medical treatment.  So, at the cost of 8 WIA (4 seriously), our 30 SpecOps men successfully rescued the 12 prisoners, and took out an estimated 60 to 70 local thugs and Balszaki rebels.

We all had fun, and the most amazing thing about it was that Ted rolled some decent dice!  This may become a convention scenario...

Hope you all enjoyed these tales of daring-do...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 05:28:38 PM by CapnJim »
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Superb  :o :o :o

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Great stuff, thanks for sharing all that.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
lovely stuff, thanks for posting.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks, Gents!  And to has.been and Grumpy Gnome, you're welcome...

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Looks like a great game, Jim! Is this in the plans for Advance the Colors this October? I think it sounds like a great scenario. Thanks for the report and all the photos...  :-*

Mike Demana

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Only FFofL can do this, I enjoyed that AAR muchly!

;D   :-*   ;D
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Looks like a great game, Jim! Is this in the plans for Advance the Colors this October? I think it sounds like a great scenario. Thanks for the report and all the photos...  :-*

Thanks, Mike.  This scenario might appear at Advance the Colors.  The other scenario I'm working on is the Battle of Matewan, WV in May 1921 during the coal mine wars....one, the other, or maybe both!  We'll see.

Only FFofL can do this, I enjoyed that AAR muchly!

;D   :-*   ;D

Thanks, Harry.  The battle played out as one would expect a SpecOps mission to - and I could picture in my mind the movie scenes for various parts of the fight... ;)

And yes FFoL is a very versatile stable of rulesets... :D

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
A great finale  :)

Apologies if you’ve mentioned if previously but where are the buildings with the tin roof from?

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
Excellent

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
A great finale  :)

Apologies if you’ve mentioned if previously but where are the buildings with the tin roof from?

Thanks, AKULA.  And actually, I haven't mentioned that...most of the buildings there (including the tin roof ones)  are from Crescent Root Studio.  Sadly, that line is not currently offered...

Excellent

Thanks, Jaye...

Offline Mike Garland

• Assistant
Great game. I need to pick up a copy of Fistfull of Lead.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Great game. I need to pick up a copy of Fistfull of Lead.

Thanks, Mike.  And I would highly recommend doing so... ;)