Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:05:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pendraken's 10mm League of Augsburg range  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Pendraken's 10mm League of Augsburg range
« on: May 25, 2021, 01:41:51 PM »
Heyhey, hope everbody had a wonderful Pentecost weekend. Against initial plans I watched the ESC finals and had a wonderful time doing so.

I also painted the 10mm League of Augsburg range for Pendraken Miniatures' web store.

Here's an example of the some of the figures:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_05/examples1neu.jpg.d464a89cd1623a2b835774441213cf0f.jpg

To me the LoA range always had something mythical about it because there was much talk about its prettiness (which is true), and I never knew much about the period too, so that added to the mystery. The range basically covers the wars of Louis XIV. of France, from the late 1660s up to the very earl years of the 18th century. LOADS of cavalry codes in this range, despite the fact that cavalry wasn't quite as varied as say during the early to mid 17th century and the fact that the figures (except for three codes I think) can be used for any Western European army of the time.

As I said, I was extremely unfamiliar with the time, so I had to do some research first. Still don't know a whole lot to be honest, but I can at least claim that I think that the uniforms are correct and all are based on actual historical regiments.

So yeah, the picture there just shows some examples. All in all the range encompasses about 100 infantry/artillery/guns and close to 90 cavalry figures (including a whopping 28 individual generals/commanders). Hope you like them!

Offline Leftblank

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6shooters wargame club
Re: Pendraken's 10mm League of Augsburg range
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 02:34:40 PM »
Nice pictures, good sculpts, good painting. The LoA is a very interesting period.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 03:30:26 PM »
Thanks and indeed! I know woefully little about it, but it certainly is a very interesting series of conflicts. Of course I'd be most interested in the War of Spanish Succession too.

Speaking of which, halfway through painting these figures I was shown this little propaganda medallion from the Spanish War of Succession (which kinda almost fits the period a bit ;-) ):

Front: "Carolus III., King of Spain and India". Back then the Americas still ran as "India" in Spain. As a funny side note earlier that day I had read that there's no distinction between the words for people from India and the word "indian", as used for native Americans at the time. To this day people from India living in Spanish speaking parts of South America still are broadly referred to as Hindus to avoid confusion. Not sure if this is 100% accurate, I read it won Wikipedia. But it shows once more that real world/history's 'fluff' will always be richer/absurder than any fantasy setting. ;)

Back: "And now bloody feathers off the roosters [a national symbol of France] will fall off the sky and onto Catalonia and Aragon." On the medallion we see an eagle (the Empire) in flight, carrying a rooster who's losing some feathers which fall down onto the scenerby below.

Interesting stuff, isn't it. The medallion's probably from 1710. Charles III. (later Emperor Charles VI., father to Maria Theresa) was the anti-French/Bourbon alliance's candidate for the Spanish throne.

The WSS would be dead interesting to wargame as well. So much to do, so much to do. Anyway, I hope you excuse this little detour, but I found the little snippet from around the period interesting and befitting the League of Augsburg project. Hope you did as well!

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 11:06:17 AM »
Very nicely done, they are a great range and they are wonderful sculpts.  I have two quite large armies to represent the French and then the Alliance forces

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 11:11:50 AM »
@Frostie: Thanks and: excellent! I'd love to do that period in 10mm, but I'm still not done with my 10mm Thirty Years War collection, and I'm having a hard time justifying yet another grand (because a 10mm project WILL be grand) solo project in the 17th century. Of course that may be subject to change at the drop of a big, white-trimmed hat!  :D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 11:13:45 AM »
Great painting  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 09:06:05 AM »
Veeery nice! If I had not already a collection in 28mm, I would be very tempted to start a couple of armies in this scale !

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 12:52:04 PM »
@OSHIROmodelterrain: Thanks very much! :)

@chema1986: Yeah, my excuse is that I do early/mid 17th century already, and these other conflicts would be a bit too close to that (apart from the usual factors or time/space/money). However, getting a few, maybe for fighting my 10mm Ottomans for some large-scale skirmishes or something is kinda tempting.. :D