Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:15:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ancients "skirmish" rules?  (Read 2462 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Ancients "skirmish" rules?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 05:46:28 PM »
I echo the endorsement of Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes. Good skirmish set that can be tailored to fit the period.

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 06:13:51 PM »
Short answer is...YES.
Several games on LAF where it is used for Medieval & seems to work fine.
Lots of 'shooting' at each other in Ancients:- Bows, slings, javelins, pilum,
catapults, (primitive) crossbows, (equally primitive) hand grenades (Naphtha, or Hannibal with pots full of snakes), just to list a few, just
no gunpowder.

FFoL works superlatively well for small scale ancient/medieval action.  We've used it for Greek, Dark Age, and Samurai warfare.  For 5-10 models a side, you cannot beat it for versitility.
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline President Buer

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 11:08:58 PM »
We are looking for a "warband" skirmish style game.. so unit vs unit. This is the list of rules I've compiled that fit our parameters.
SAGA
WAB
Clash of Spears
Lion rampant
Fistful of Lead: Big Battles

Anything I've missed?

I've been looking for something similar and hopefully have found a winning combo with a slightly modified WAB - at least for enticing fantasy players over. Do a google search for "WFB warbands", a pdf should be the top result - it's for the old Warhammer Fantasy warband rules they had for free on the GW website that were basically reducing unit minimums and a few other tweaks alongside some campaign ideas.
To apply it to WAB I'd say start off without using characters, just use a unit's champion as the force commander, and reduce unit minimums to 3 (maybe 5?) for infantry and 2 for cavalry. From there it depends on what size you go for. A 500 point army will have 2 or 3 10-15 man units and can squeeze in some cavalry if needed. If you opt to do an escalation league from this level it's easy to add on the 100 points between games then you could have a big blow-off at the end. It's got a strong Tale of Four Gamers vibe when mixed with the escalation league idea.