Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:11:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...Full Battle Report Page 11 09 Oct 23)  (Read 21690 times)

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...(Rubicon US Squad 09 Mar 22)
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2022, 01:16:39 AM »
Thanks, and sorry abut the delay fellas, I was on vacation for a couple weeks, and am still playing catch-up.

Great work on those rubicon figures - I’m guessing you still have plenty of spare kit that can be used to further customise the Empress minis as well?

Yep - plenty of bits to save for future projects!

Good looking stuff, Jim! Just finished reading your teaser part one of the battle report in The Herald...

Thanks, Mike.  Glad you enjoyed it.  Part 2 will be in the next issue....
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...(Rubicon US Squad 09 Mar 22)
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2022, 10:27:12 PM »
Well, we played our first game of BOHICA yesterday.  We used the same scenario as this thread's earlier game using FFoL:BB.  Quite the different outcome, though.  I'll post an illustrated AAR soon, likely Sunday.

I must say, we were impressed with the rules.  Quiet playable and thorough.  I'm sure we dicked a few things up as we went - but we figured things out by the end...

2 things got reinforced though.  1.  Don't get caught out in the open when there are units on overwatch that can see you.  And 2.  M79s and mortars are not pleasant experiences when they land on target...;)

They may become our modern-ish rules of choice now... 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 10:28:55 PM by CapnJim »

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...(1st BOHICA game 01 Apr 22)
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2022, 10:51:33 AM »
Glad you like them. ;)

Did you use the example Random Events Chart provided or make your own up?

There is a Facebook page dedicated to BOHICA if you are interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1213127089208316

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...(1st BOHICA game 01 Apr 22)
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2022, 10:49:12 PM »
Glad you like them. ;)
Did you use the example Random Events Chart provided or make your own up?
There is a Facebook page dedicated to BOHICA if you are interested.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1213127089208316

Thanks, Paul.  I put together a master Random Event Table in an Excel spreadsheet, with about 30 events inspired by Ambush Valley's Fog of War cards and the example Random Event Tables in the BOHICA rulebook.  I then pick 20 of them to make up a Random Event Table relevant to the scenario in question.  I'll add to the master Table as I'm inspired to do so.

As for the FaceBook group, well, I don't have a FaceBook account.  Not yet anyway.  It seems my resistance to social media is waning...

Anyhoo, on with the show!

LT Barnswallow approached SFC Gridley at the center of the hamlet they had just taken.  "Status?" he asked.  Gridley responded "One of the M60 guys got it.  Dodsworth took him back to the CCP.  You?"  "God Damn Mulligan.  One of his f***in' rounds fell short.  Took out most of 1st squad.  3 dead and another wounded" the LT replied.  Gridley snorted "Mulligan?  Shit.  He ain't never on time or on target."

The LT was pissed.  If it wasn't for that stupid mortar round, he'd only have 2 wounded guys.  "I'm gonna have a, um, word with Mulligan when we get back".  Gridley cam back with "Good.  Maybe the guys will see you're taking care of them that way.  They ain't took to you too good yet, sir."

"I know. I know"...

As I mentioned, we played our 1st game of BOHICA this Thursday past.  We had a great time, and played the same scenario covered by the AAR earlier in this thread.  In essence, The fight was in and around a small hamlet of Dak Po, carved out of the jungle somewhere in South Vietnam.  The US forces were a Plt Ldr (with RTO, medic, and Kit Carson Scout) and 1st Squad (buffed up with an M60 team) attacking Dak Po from the NW, while the Plt Sgt (with the mortar FO) and 2nd Squad (also beefed up with an M60 team) attacking from the NE.  The US mission was to sweep Dak Po of any PAVN of VC, search the hooches, and close off any tunnel entrances they come across.   

The PAVN had the Plt HQ (with officer, bugler, M79 gunner, and runner), and their 1st Squad hiding in the hooches, while their 2nd squad was leading a pair of pack mules from the SE to the NW.  Their mission was to defend the hamlet, and get the pack mules off the NW corner of the board.

It was possible that both sides could get reinforcements through the Random Events Table.  Too bad neither did...

It all started out quiet enough.  The US unit fanned out and carefully approached Dak Po from their respective corners, while the PVN pack mule squad come up the trail from the SE.  As in the other game, first contact was the PAVN team in the NE hooch firing on the US 2nd squad, wounding a member of the M60 team.  The US M79 gunner took care of that problem with a well-placed HE round through the window of the hooch.  No more PAVN team...

The PAVN then repositioned the remaining members of 1st squad to cover the intended path of the pack mule squad.  While they were doing that, the US Plt Ldr and 1st Squad set up in the edge of the jungle at the NW corner of the hamlet, putting 3 guys on overwatch covering a gap between the buildings in the hamlet.  Too bad that's where the pack mule squad went (all bunched up, too)...2 bursts of M16 fire and an M70 HE round later, the PAVN pack mule squad had 3 KIA, 2 WIA, and a mule down.  Ugh...the other 2 guys from the US 1st Squad closed off one of the 5 tunnel spots...

Back at the NE corner of the hamlet, the Plt Sgt and 2nd Squad moved up into the area around the hooch their M79 gunner had taken care of, while another M60 crewman hoisted the wounded guy up on his shoulder, and headed back up the trail with him to the CCP.

The PAVN did manage to put some effective fire (including from their RPG and RPK) on the Plt Ldr and 1st Squad, suppressing a few guys (including the LT, who apparently hadn't impressed his men yet - Random Event Table), and wounding one.  Once the LT got his s**t together, he called in mortar fire on the PAVN in the hamlet, but it would take a few minutes to fall.  But fall it did, taking with it 3 PAVN KIA and a WIA.  Too bad one shell a bit short (Random Event Table) and landed right on top of 1st Squad, killing 3 - including the poor sod who was already wounded just as the medic got to him - and wounding another).  Maybe the Lt needs to have a chat with the Mortar Section...

By then, the fight was out of the PAVN. They had taken heavy casualties, and lost their 2 mules (one was wounded and one panicked and ran off - it failed its morale roll!).  What was left abandoned Dak Po to the Americans.

the Americans, out of 22 men, had 3 KIA (from the errant mortar round) and 2 WIA.  Once the PAVN di-di-mao'd, the US fellas could search the hamlet and close off the area tunnels.

As this was our first time playing, the first few turns went slow, as we looked up rules, and worked our way through the spotting, firing, and casualty charts.  But we figured it out, and were impressed by now complete the rules are.  Since BOHICA is a (very) fleshed-out and Vietnamized version of Danger Close, I think we may have found our go-to modern-ish rules.  We're looking forward to playing them again!

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...(1st BOHICA game AAR 03 Apr 22)
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2022, 10:06:07 AM »
That'll teach you to bunch up  lol

The mules are a great idea.

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2022, 06:06:15 PM »
That'll teach you to bunch up  lol

Yup... ;)

The mules are a great idea.

The scenario called for civilian porters, but I don't have any of those painted up.  I did have the pack mules, so that's what we used.  They were susceptible to being fired at, becoming casualties, and having to do morale checks, along with the PAVN leading them...it worked out just fine... 

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2022, 10:16:08 AM »
That AAR sounds exactly like our first few games. The gameflow is really nice once you have thew rules learned.
It gives the same feeling you have when you read one of the many books about Vietnam small actions.
Really well written rules.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2022, 10:25:50 AM »
That AAR sounds exactly like our first few games. The gameflow is really nice once you have thew rules learned.
It gives the same feeling you have when you read one of the many books about Vietnam small actions.
Really well written rules.

:-* Shucks  ;)

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2022, 10:39:35 PM »
Got more painting done!  This time, it's my 1st Cav Div aero-rifle platoon's 2nd squad. 

The 1st 2 pics are the squad leader and the M79 gunners (Empress, except for the kneeling M79 guy - he's a Black Sun fig from Crucible Crush)
The 2nd 2 pics are the riflemen from Team A (all Empress).
The 3rd 2 pics are the riflemen from team B (again, all Empress)
The last pic is the whole squad.

Enjoy!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...(Another US squad added 04 May 22)
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2022, 06:24:35 AM »
really nice additions to your collection

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2022, 09:09:25 AM »
Nice !
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2022, 09:24:48 AM »
Lovely painting fella!   

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2022, 12:03:37 PM »
High speed, low drag!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2022, 05:40:33 PM »
Thanks, chaps!

So far, that gives my A decent US platoon.  A Platoon HQ (with LT, SGT, 2 RTO's, a medic and a runner), the squad leader and 2 M60 teams from the weapons squad, and 3 rifle squads (2 1st Cav Div and one generic)...

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2022, 06:07:39 PM »
This thread gets better and better - lovely sculpts & great paint jobs  8)