Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:27:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...Full Battle Report Page 11 09 Oct 23)  (Read 21274 times)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Thanks again, fellas!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...(Gringo40s MACV-SOG Batch 2 - Page 10 02 Feb 23)
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2023, 10:06:12 PM »
And, as promised, here is Batch #2 of the Gringo40s MACV-SOG boys I (finally) got.

The first 2 pics are the guys I put in tiger stripes.  The fellas in the 2nd 2 pics are in ERDL.

Then, the 5th pic is Batch #2 all together, and the last pic is both batches all together.

Enjoy!  ;)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...(Gringo40s MACV-SOG Batch 2 - Page 11 02 Feb 23)
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2023, 07:14:55 PM »
Brilliant work Cap'n! 🫡
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...(Gringo40s MACV-SOG Batch 2 - Page 11 02 Feb 23)
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2023, 08:34:47 PM »
Thanks, Mr. Gnome.   :D

I have a scenario in mind for them.  Gotta paint up some medical staff and some more civilians first...

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2023, 10:52:26 AM »
CapnJim

splendid work on my Gringo40s MACV SOG figures.! :o :-* :o :-* :o :-*

regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2023, 04:22:42 PM »
Thanks, Ged.  Appreciate it!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2023, 05:32:07 PM »
They do indeed look very good!
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2023, 09:53:11 PM »
Thanks, Carlos!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
LT Blutarski saw SP4 Jones running up to him.  "What's up, Jones?" inquired the LT.  "The Old Man wants everyone at the CP.  Got a mission."  "Roger.  I'll get Sergeant Throckmorton, and we'll be right over."

LT Blutarski found SFC Throckmorton, and they headed to the Co. CP.  Once all Company leaders had assembled, CPT Johansen spelled out their mission.  It seemed the battalion was doing another sweep.  2nd Platoon, LT Blutarski's platoon, was tasked with seizing a bridge over a creek, as well as an adjacent hill and hamlet.  They would only have 2 of his squads (3rd Squad was doing perimeter duty), but would have both M60 teams.  They would also have an M48 tank from one of the tank platoons, and could use their RTOs to try to get fire missions from the Company mortars.  Of course, they could expect to run across both PAVN and VC units, thus the sweep.   

SP was in 1 hour.  He and his Platoon Sergeant set about getting things ready.

My brother Mark was up from Florida for his annual visit last month.  We game, shoot, smoke cigars, and do a bit of drinking, as well.  On Sep. 20, we were joined by Ted and Gene (my regular gaming group) to play a Vietnam game using Fistful of Lead: Bigger Battles.  Ted and Gene decided they wanted to play the two of us, and we randomly determined that they would play the PAVN/VC, and Mark and I would play the US.  The scenario was taken from the rulebook.  I'm just now getting to this, as my wife and I left for a vacation in the Canadian Maritimes just as me brother left to head back to Florida.

Here are the Scenario Info and Troop List sheets for the US force:

And here are the PAVN/VC Scenario Info and Troop List sheets:

And here are the Scenario Special Rules:

That's the set up.  I'll post the AAR here in the next few days.  Stay tuned...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...Battle AAR Lead-in Page 11 08 Oct 23)
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2023, 06:16:02 PM »
Once LT Blutarski got SFC Throckmorton, his squad leaders, and the TC together, they came up with a plan.  2nd Platoon/Charlie Company would advance in patrol column up the path leading to the objectives.  Once they got close to the objectives, they would deploy with the attached M48 going left to get up on the hill, and SFC Throckmorton would take 2nd squad and an M60 team right of the path.  It would be 2nd squad's mission to assault the hamlet.  The LT would lead 1st squad and the other M60 team up the path and left of it.  It would be their job to protect the M48, and to assault the bridge.  Their medic would be where he thought he needed to be.  Either the LT or SFC Throckmorton could call for mortar fire with their RTOs.  Mind you, contact with the enemy could change things, but that was the plan.

With that in mind, 2nd Platoon hit the SP right on time.  Here's the battlefield they came up on...

As they advanced in patrol column up the path, LT Blutarski heard shouts of "Contact front!  Infantry in the open!"  He looked north, and could indeed see enemy infantry advancing south down the same path they were advancing northward on.  It looked like a platoon-sized element of mixed PAVn and VC.  And it looked like they had RPGs and a DShK! 

"Deploy! Deploy!" shouted the LT.  With that, his Platoon Sergeant, Squad Leaders, and the TC all did as planned and ordered.

His opposite number on the other side of the stream did the same thing. 

Most of the PAVN and VC went east, toward the hamlet.  And they were bunched up.  LT Blutarski grabbed the mic from his RTO:  "Black 6, White 6.  Fire Mission, over"  "White 6, send it, over."  "Black 6, fire mission.  Infantry in the open.  Grid 184832.  Fire for effect, over."  A minute or 2 later, 3 81mm mortar rounds landed among the bunched up PAVN and VC.  From where the LT was, it looked like several PAVN and VC were taken out by the mortars.  "That oughta do it", the LT thought to himself.  "Black 6, White 6,  Target destroyed, mission complete, over."  "White 6, roger, out".

While LT Blutarski was calling in the mortars, his men were advanced according to the plan.

Meanwhile, it took the PAVN and VC a few minutes to sort themselves out after the mortar barrage.  What the US LT didn't know yet, was that the mortar fire had killed the PAVN commander and his bugler, as well as almost all of the DShK crew, not to mention several PAVN regulars and VC.   

But, once they sorted themselves out, the PAVN and VC got back on the move.  2 RPG teams went right to go tank hunting, while most of them went left, toward the hamlet.

LT Blutarski and his RTO hurried up to catch up with his men, who by now had reached the stream, while the M48 provided overwatch from the small hill. 

The PAVN and VC tried to put up a fight, even wounding a few GIs - the US medic was busy for a short while.  But after the US mortar strike, and the pounding they were getting from the M48, they couldn't quite get it going.

With US troops holding the bridge and the stream, 2nd Squad assaulted the hamlet.  After a hot little firefight, they took it.

The remaining PAVN and VC had finally had enough.  They melted back north, leaving the hill, bridge, and hamlet in US hands...

And with that, the fight was over.  And it went about as we thought it might.  US firepower and tactics won the day, and their flak vests saved a few of them from serious wounds.  BUT, it could have gone very differently.

The evening before we played them game, my brother and I played 6 turns of the scenario so my brother could brush up on the rules.   By the end of the 6th turn, RPGs had roughed up the M48, and the VC were in sole possession of the hamlet.  And the bridge was contested.  Both sides had taken quite a few casualties, and the company mortars apparently were too busy to bother with the requested fire missions.  A PAVN/VC win was possible had we played it out to the 10th turn.  Unfortunately, we were focused on getting my brother up to speed on the rules, so I didn't take any photos... ???

Hope whoever read this enjoyed it.... 8)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 08:14:18 PM by CapnJim »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: CapnJim heads back to 'Nam...Full Battle Report Page 11 09 Oct 23)
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2023, 07:39:49 PM »
Fabulous AAR Jim!

It's the Bridges of Madison County that Clint really wanted to make isn't it?

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2023, 08:04:48 AM »
Great AAR Capn.
28mm Vietnam and FFOL BB, what a lovely recipe.
I feel a game coming on.

Flatpack

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2023, 02:29:53 PM »
Great AAR Capn.
I feel a game coming on.

Thanks, Carlos.  Not to mix movies, but Gunny Highway did fight in Vietnam, so that could be...

Great AAR Capn.
I feel a game coming on.

Thanks, flatpack!  Carry on then, lad!   :D 

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #163 on: October 13, 2023, 04:53:31 AM »
I’m sure I read thro the AAR the other day, but now most of your data sheets, and some of the photos have disappeared. Is this just happening to me, or are other people seeing the same ? Very odd.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #164 on: October 13, 2023, 05:45:30 PM »
Huh.  They show up for me....