Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:00:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL] Horizon Wars: Infinite Dark, Precinct Omega's new space combat game  (Read 4087 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
As requested by the forum rules, please avoid politics, identity or otherwise. Thanks!

Offline Kontuz

• Assistant
I'd also like info on what it's like to play this game.
Bonus points for going over how to escalate from one abstraction level to another.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Yeah I’m pretty interested in this for small encounters - one on me duels that’s rent quite dogfights etc.

Offline Pascal

• Assistant
Wow!  $56 for the book and PDF is a lot in comparison to the Skirmish game which is $38.

I would have to see some batrep/game play videos to understand how this compares to say A Billion Suns.

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
  • Roll dice. Change the world.
    • Precinct Omega Publishing at Wargame Vault
Wow!  $56 for the book and PDF is a lot in comparison to the Skirmish game which is $38.

I would have to see some batrep/game play videos to understand how this compares to say A Billion Suns.

It's a bigger book (almost 20 pages longer) with a lot more expensive art in it (I couldn't afford more than just the cover for Zero Dark, but I pushed the boat out for Infinite Dark, art-wise). I, too, would love to see some batrep/gameplay videos. I tend to feel that the designer isn't the right person to do these. Plus, I don't have the camera set-up that a decent batrep would require.

Without going into the identity politics of the cover, here, I would admit that, in retrospect, I might have included more, y'know, actual ships on the cover. But there is logic to the design. First, the game plays at three different "scales" (as previously mentioned) and the three figures represent each of those scales. Second, a big part of what distinguishes the game from other spaceship combat games is the inclusion of named "hero" character that pilot or command your vessels, so I wanted the cover art to emphasize the human part of the game over the ships.

As a final note, though, people with other objections to the cover art are very welcome to keep their money. I don't want it.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
I, too, would love to see some batrep/gameplay videos. I tend to feel that the designer isn't the right person to do these. Plus, I don't have the camera set-up that a decent batrep would require.

I understand the thought process, but perhaps a batrep that you are there for to add color.  Perhaps two of your playtesters, then break it down into basic example/components using a hand held/Phone video.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
I understand the thought process, but perhaps a batrep that you are there for to add color.  Perhaps two of your playtesters, then break it down into basic example/components using a hand held/Phone video.

I've head that there are people who have friends in their local club who will play-test their games. This isn't me. My nearest play-tester lives 200 miles away. My local clubs are full of wonderful people, but none of them is interested in play-testing my games on a regular basis.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: Batreps, you could try contacting Ash from Guerilla Miniatures Games over on Youtube and see if he'd like to do a video or series testing out your game.  The guy's got a crowded schedule but goes out of his way to promote smaller manufacturers and lesser-known games, and has probably significantly impacted sales for quite a few of them, including Relicblade, Forbidden Psalm, Zona Alfa and A Billion Suns (or at least Brigade's starship minis that were used in the ABS vids).  He's a professional youtuber with the production values to match.  Certainly not the only similar creator out there, but he seems to be more willing to look at the little guys instead of grinding out nothing but GW content than most, probably owing to having written rules sets of his own. 

Channel main page here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/GuerrillaMiniatureGames/featured

You might also try talking to MiniWarGaming.com, who are one of those "similar creators" out there, and seem to be branching out more than they used to.  Their channel is here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/miniwargaming

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
Thanks for taking the time, Rich.

Ash is a top guy, for sure, but he's already had a free copy of Horizon Wars: Zero Dark out of me and no sign of a review. As you say, he's got a full schedule already dealing with people with a lot more money to push around than I have.

And the Miniwargaming guys haven't replied to any of the several messages I've sent, offering them review copies, so...

I will make my own videos. It's just a case of building up the capital to get the hardware and take the time. Right now, it costs me roughly the revenue of 6-8 months' sales to put out any one book (mostly because of the cost of art, but that's how I've decided to try to make my books, so that's on me). I'm mostly sustained by Patreon income, right now, and I'm trying to build my YouTube content - putting episodes of my podcast up in video form and edited versions of my regular Friday livestreams - because if I can double my subscribers I can actually monetize that content.

So video batreps and HTPs are pretty much inevitable, even if I just have to bite the bullet and accept that the quality won't be what I'd like it to be. Tbf, I do actually have at least two people, locally, who would probably be prepared to let me put the camera on them when we roll some dice...

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Ah well, wasn't aware you'd already reached out to them.  Not 100% surprised about Ash, little more so on MWG.  They have a lot more people on staff (ie more than one) and at least lately seem a lot more open to trying new things.  Still, I suppose the real money/views for both channels comes from GW vids.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
 Let me pitch in  for a moment. I'm one of the playtesters for Infinite Dark, and I really (as in really) like the game. Most of my spaceship gaming has been fighter based - Silent Death, Bag the Jedi, X-wing, etc. So that flavours a bit of what I'm about to say.

The rules are for me that sweet point between simplicity and grittiness. If you've played Horizon Wars, then the dice mechanics are very similar, though it's also true that Robey has learnt quite a bit since then, and it shows in more elegant rules and clearer descriptions. The movement mechanics which often hinders space combat games, work exceptionally well and are some of the easiest I've used that don't have templates (ie Xwing - templates add simplicity, but sometimes get in the way). I think there where the rules shine most are the solo rules. Both with infinite dark and zero dark, the solo rules function very well and are playing card based, with the suit and number telling what the red force (opponent) will do. The ship design rules are also very flexible and allow you to do all sorts of ships, which together with the pilot/captain rules make for some interesting semi roleplaying games too. It's not just an Xwing any more, but your head strong new pilot aiming to prove he's just as good as the rest of the squadron piloting an Xwing.

All my ships have been CL1 (fighter) based, so I had to go out and get and load of the plastic spaceships from The Plastic Soldier Company to play CL3 (fleet based). I've yet to play a full CL3 game, as my ships aren't finished being painted yet, but I've a good few CL1 games under my belt and can say they're the best starfighter rules I've found so far.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
It sounds really interesting. I like the idea of the roleplaying side of things.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Thanks Dijt, that’s really helpful. I’ve long wanted a sort of RPGish spaceship rules to play a lone ship in various scenarios. I’m happy only using rules as a starting point, and it sounds like these might be a good starting point.