Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:04:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690508
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Building Troy  (Read 6711 times)

Offline SupremeLittlenessDesigns

• Bookworm
    • Supreme Littleness Designs
Re: Building Troy
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2021, 06:01:44 PM »
Thanks for all the kind comments - really helps with the morale of the project!

Favourable winds on the horizon for a Kickstarter launch this summer!

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2021, 06:06:25 PM »
I have all the models I need now to see how my citadel wall of Troy is going to look.

Here they are in the state they’re in at the moment, creating a 90-degree arc to position at a table corner.

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2021, 06:51:32 PM »
My tabletop is made up of 200mm-square terrain tiles. These can be raised and stepped to create higher ground by placing polystyrene tiles under them. With my models in position, this is my opportunity to plan how big and how high my mound of Troy will be.

Troy was built-up directly behind the citadel walls. The buildings here were grander than the ones in the Lower City outside the citadel. I had to be careful not to go wild and create a mound that was so high that any tall buildings inside the citadel looked as if they had little or no protection from the citadel walls.

There were also other ground level considerations to take into account. The ground at the gateway points should be level enough either side of the wall. However, the ground behind the East Tower, for sure, was higher than it was in front. At the moment I’m just going to leave opportunities for these features to evolve. There are a lot of things to take into consideration to be able to cram as many features as possible into what is a tight space but I think at this stage I have the groundwork of a good plan.

Here are the beginnings of my mound of Troy.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2021, 09:15:20 PM »
Looks promising  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 02:54:11 AM »
Most excellent!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2021, 10:17:15 AM »
Love it. Think the end result is going to be rather special :)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2021, 02:47:21 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it completed.

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2021, 01:49:10 PM »
What would a model of Homer’s Troy be without Priam’s palace? I have reserved a square building plot at the summit of my polystyrene mound for a palace. It’s literally as much space as I can afford to give it. The shape and size of my mound of Troy is basically dictated by the space required for a palatial building. Meanwhile I’m left with the slopes around the site, between the palace’s building plot and the citadel walls, as space for the grand buildings of the citadel.

Although the summit of Troy’s mound was carved off by Hellenistic building projects and Heinrich Schliemann’s pioneering enthusiasm did irreplaceable damage to the mound, the citadel of Late-Bronze-Age Troy must have been similar to the citadel of Mycenae with a palace on the summit and buildings linked by ramps and stepped walkways. Mycenae’s principle thoroughfare is sometimes pleasingly referred to as a chariot road.

Like Mycenae, I’m going to have a ramp that rises from the principle gate – the South Gate (referred to today only, the day of a big match, as Gareth) – up to the palace on the summit. This will be Troy’s principle thoroughfare. I think there needs to be an alternative route up to the palace, especially for gaming purposes. Here’s a stepped ramp I’ve made as a pathway from the East Gate up to the palace.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2021, 05:41:19 PM »
Liking this.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2021, 08:38:50 PM »
 Very nice work Michael.
 When will these be released?

Offline Askellad

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2021, 09:23:19 PM »
The only question is when.
The only answer I want is now.

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2021, 09:50:03 PM »
The only question is when.
The only answer I want is now.

Ditto!

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2021, 12:30:32 PM »
Thanks, guys! At this stage I can only repeat the above statement: Favourable winds on the horizon for a Kickstarter launch this summer.

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2021, 12:32:12 PM »
It’s time to get my first citadel house on the tabletop.

I have a walkway, now I’m designing a house to fill my building plot. It all has to fit on one 200mm-square tile. I’m eager to use the level step on the walkway and have an entrance to a house there. I’d also like another doorway on the other side of the building. However, this will mean paring down the building plot as I’ll need walkways on either side of the tile. Although space is tight, I’m trying to have all the walkways of the Citadel around 50mm wide to make them as functional as possible for gaming. As I’m giving myself the job of designing a building with an even more reduced footprint, it might be surprising that my plan is also to design not one single but two attached houses!

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2021, 12:34:23 PM »

To make the citadel houses look grander than the houses of the Lower City, I’m experimenting with adding a bit of colour. Not too much or too strongly coloured as Bronze Age pigments would have been natural – earth colours are a good bet – and likely to fade quite readily in the Anatolian sun.

The building has more generous height than my Lower City designs and the doors are somewhat finer in style. All in all, the Citadel should be a more desirable place to live! One further addition will be joining up the walkways with paving slabs to complete the urban look of the townscape.