Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:10:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rampant SciFi: UD 30/3 Belters (Infinity & Battle Droids) FINISHED  (Read 22243 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Rampant SciFi: 31/12 Statted forces for first XR game
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2022, 08:36:37 PM »
Hi Paul and thanks all  :D

Regarding my Reivers (and I think, perhaps the Serenity Reavers too), some have more intellect than others. My Reivers have been ‘modified/mutated’ from human prisoners to make them more efficient at their mining task, whatever that is. It follows that some tasks require more brain and others more brawn (it’s no surprise that their leader is one of the smallest and is the least mutated).  Some mining tasks require unthinking obedience and a total disregard of personal risk: thus the Grunts who constitute the mass of berserkers.

Btw the project is far from finished as I have 20 odd minis for another 2 berserker units, and I’ll probsbly get more plus some close combat heavies. I also have many more dwarves, humans, droids and Wookies to paint. Then there’s the terrain……  ;)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2022, 10:18:15 PM »
Btw the project is far from finished [...]
Glad to hear! I always do enjoy following your threads!  ;)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2022, 10:55:36 PM »
Glad to hear! I always do enjoy following your threads!  ;)

Me, too! And thanks for explaining!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2023, 02:40:24 PM »
Thanks folks.

In terms of demonstrating that the project is unfinished, I’ve now specced both the Grimm and the Reivers as 48 point forces (12 and 13 units respectively). Admittedly I have a few more minis to buy.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2023, 05:52:36 PM »
Thanks folks.

In terms of demonstrating that the project is unfinished, I’ve now specced both the Grimm and the Reivers as 48 point forces (12 and 13 units respectively). Admittedly I have a few more minis to buy.

Go for it! That’s the spirit!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Rampant SciFi: 5/1 first game of Xenos Rampant
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2023, 09:12:30 PM »
I’ve now played my first game of Xenos Rampant, using the bones of Scenario Alpha which is a Sweep and Clear operation.

As I was playing on a smaller board of roughly 75” square, I reduced the Grimm detachment to 3 units totalling 12 cost points, and the Reivers to 3 units totalling 13 points. Though the two detachments were of roughly the same size, the Reivers were more robust at 25 strength points versus 15 for the Grimm.

The setting was an ocean-side area of my planetary setting;  light cover was provided by clumps of palm trees but otherwise the ground was open. 

I played the Grimm whereas the actions of the Reivers were determined by Mr Spock (whose ancestor is Mr Babbage from The Men Who Would Be King). There were a few minor modifications to the scenario to accommodate Mr Spock’s thinking process, including that his ‘defeated’ units were not available for recycling back into the game.

Start: the table before serenity was rudely interrupted; dice were rolled to determine the respective start points

Turn 1: the first units onto the table with the Reivers advancing

Turn 2: all the Grimm are on the table, with ‘berserk’ Reivers having closed to their left and the brute with a light sabre to their right; the Reiver leader has yet to arrive.

Turn 3: the ‘close combat’ Grimm move into the cover of some palms while their SMG shooting colleagues open-up on the ‘berserk’ Reivers albeit without much effect; the Grimm leader then calls in fire support and takes out 3 of the Reivers ensconced behind the palms; the Reiver leader comes into the game  and as the ‘brute’ has Hive Mind, he’s able to survive what was an otherwise unsuccessful bout of fighting by virtue of  his +1 to Courage rolls.

Turn 4: More shooting by the Grimm, more attacking by the Reivers; small losses here and there

Turn 5: much like Turn 4 but with the Reiver leader’s presence now having quite an effect on all Courage rolls, as he’s within 12” of the berserkers and the brute has Hive Mind; the Grimm commander realises that shooting will not take him out quickly enough, so instead calls down Fire Support but fails the activation

Turns 6-7: more shooting and fighting, with the Grimm repeatedly failing to call in Fire Support

Turn 8: success! Fire Support is called in with 9 hits out of 10, which is just enough to kill the Reiver Leader; in the subsequent Courage test the brute chooses to run from the table

Turn 9: with the remnants of the berserk unit being all that is left of the Reivers, spurred on by the cocktail  of drugs being pumped around their bodies they make a fanatical charge that ultimately ends in them being shot down

So a win for the Grimm. The Grimm destroyed or routed enemy units costing 3 and 2  points (it was an 8 point unit that chose to run away!), which according to the scenario earns them 2 Victory Points. As the Grimm held firm, the Reivers earned nil.

I shall probably play each of the scenarios as components of a campaign, though as I want to play my choice of units, I shall probably ignore the campaign system as detailed in the book and just compare progress through their totals of VPs.

As regards the game, my principal learning was that this was a learning experience. Pre-game I’d made changes to Mr Spock’s decision-making engine, though I expect I’ll make a few more revisions for Scenario Beta.

Playing both sides on my own, with everything going on I occasionally found that I’d forgotten to apply rules, such as taking the Firefight option, or charging the Reivers an Armour deduction for the Grimm’s use of armour-piercing rounds. This is less likely to happen next time.

All-in-all I very much enjoyed XR. The relentless pressure from the Reivers kept the Grimm behind cover while they brought their better shooting to bear. If the palm trees hadn’t been available to hide behind, it would likely have been a different outcome.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2023, 10:31:29 PM »
Good stuff, it sounds like you had some fun with the rules and got your lovely models and terrain out.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2023, 10:38:49 PM »
Yeah, sounds like you had some fun. And Mr Spock seems to have been a good opponent!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2023, 07:36:53 AM »
I have yet to even read my copy, so I appreciate your AAR.
What changes to Mr Babage have you made/are you thinking of making?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2023, 08:52:32 AM »
Brill  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2023, 10:01:16 AM »
Nice pics :D ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2023, 03:44:26 PM »
Thanks all -it was a lot of fun, even without someone to gloat over or by gloated over by.  ;)

The changes to Mr Babbage will be pretty obvious from reading the rules. Babbage does deal with the primitive tribes of the 19thC, which my Reivers are not so the changes I’ve made reflect that.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2023, 04:37:56 PM »
I feel like I've seen a lot of overly detailed models and terrain lately. Your most recent work has been a breath of fresh air; everything is well executed, but it doesn't feel like it's too much, if that makes sense.

It's a reminder to myself that this hobby is about fun and telling cool stories on the tabletop  :)
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2023, 05:28:22 PM »
Thanks all -it was a lot of fun, even without someone to gloat over or by gloated over by.  ;)

Who would ever do such a thing  :D

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2023, 06:35:46 PM »
I feel like I've seen a lot of overly detailed models and terrain lately. Your most recent work has been a breath of fresh air; everything is well executed, but it doesn't feel like it's too much, if that makes sense.

It's a reminder to myself that this hobby is about fun and telling cool stories on the tabletop  :)

Thank you. :)

Much appreciated