Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2021, 01:45:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 9209
  • Latest: Bkroy12
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1516685
  • Total Topics: 105759
  • Online Today: 526
  • Online Ever: 1675
  • (December 28, 2020, 04:48:59 PM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Grymn Reapers: ud 7/7 printed landers & shuttle  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
The Grymn Reapers: ud 7/7 printed landers & shuttle
« on: May 31, 2021, 10:09:55 AM »
This thread is now the home for my Sci-Fi project using comprising of Grymn versus Druuschan.

Contents:

P.1 Where to find Druuschan
P.1 Druuschan fluff

Original first post below the line

Am getting myself organised for the release of Xenos Rampant, which I think might be out later this year.

Over the years Iíve started and stopped various Sci-Fi collections but recently discovered that I really like painting fantasy dwarves, so have purchased HF Grymn for the Ďgoodí force (and no doubt theyíll be painted in Colonial Trooper style). The outstanding efforts of Inso, both here and at FoD, are inspirational.

When it comes to the Ďevilí side, to facilitate solo play I want something that is fast and brutal but, having done it previously, am not drawn to Alien aliens, etc. I like the look of the HF Druuschan but they no longer seem to be carried by HF, so Iíve picked up what I can from EBay etc. As far as I can tell, only 5 variants were ever sold:

Drone 1
Drone 2
Stryker
Jotun A
Jotun B

Iíve managed to track down Drones and Strykers but no Jotuns.

Anyways, can anyone tell me any background - fluff etc ? I imagine the Druuschan as being somewhat like Ďnot-quite-zombieí Reavers from Serenity and I might use them in that context but am interested in other approaches.

Ta
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 04:02:08 PM by Silent Invader »
28mm figures painted in 2021
39 Foot
13 Mounted
00 Vehicles/Artillery
00 Markers/Scatter
52 Total 
plus
00 Rebased

My LAF Gallery is HERE

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: HF DRUUSCHAN - any background info
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 10:50:58 AM »
 The HF Druuschan were picked-up by another company and there were some conversions done to them.Cant remember who got them though.Macrocosm might have had them and sold them on.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after leadÖ
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 10:54:07 AM »
They went to Krakon Games and are now in their Stargrind range, and there are also new, modified versions.

https://krakongames.com/product-category/science-fiction/stargrind/page/2/

Fluff-wise, they look like they could be failed or defective genetically engineered infantry. I vaguely remember a Rogue Trooper story where the Norts attempted to create their own GIs, but they were messed up and monsterous.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:58:46 AM by Earther »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 03:27:15 PM »
Thanks both thatís really useful, especially the news that the range is elsewhere  8)

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 03:37:43 PM »
Tempted to grab some Drones from Krakon myself now  lol

Cool that you can choose metal or resin, too.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 03:48:01 PM »
Tempted to grab some Drones from Krakon myself now  lol

Cool that you can choose metal or resin, too.

I'm glad you linked them, Krakon's catalog has grown a lot since the last time I browsed through it.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 03:52:40 PM »
Thereís a lot of stuff there! Some great critters.  8)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 06:59:32 PM »
The dude behind Krakon is awesome too.

Offline voltan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 04:44:51 PM »
I vaguely remember something about them being the result of an infection spread by the implants they had, but it was a while ago and I may be getting mixed up with something else.
'I came, I saw, and I couldn't believe my eyes.' -Julius Caesar.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 05:29:35 PM »
I vaguely remember something about them being the result of an infection spread by the implants they had, but it was a while ago and I may be getting mixed up with something else.

That works rather well as fluff! Thank you  8)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Grymn Reapers: ud 22/6 vehicles
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 09:46:20 AM »
Unable to paint or game for the last 6 weeks or so my need for a hobby fix has been met by starting this new project (I resolved no new projects this year and this is already the second  o_o).

Anyways, Iíve been acquiring Grymn (the HF space dwarfs) and which in anticipation of Xenos Rampant Iím putting into five teams of 5, tasked and kitted as

Command
Light Infantry
Light Infantry
Light Infantry (Missiles)
Heavy Infantry

Iíve really no idea if these will fit the Mersey troop classes when they are eventually revealed but itís somewhere to start.

For those interested in how Kev White envisaged the Grymn might be organised, LAFer Inso has a most useful blog entry:

http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/2010/02/from-mouth-of-creator.html

So with teams of 5 sorted, howíd do they move about? I purchased an STL file of a small lander for a couple of pounds, then altered it to add a viewing slit and multi-gun. A friend (Dr Death) kindly printed off a test piece for me and utterly convinced by it I now have a resin printer on the way.  :D

A unit of Light Infantry with their lander (the stalk will be replaced with clear Perspex in due course):

Given how the Rampant rules generally work, I figured itíd be more functional for each unit to have a lander specific to its role, so I made more modifications - once again helped by bits from Thingiverse and advice from friends - to create these variations:

I have about 10 Druuschan though Iíll be getting more from Krakon Games idc; this 5 figure pack is available and could well be the basis for my own units:

To distinguish the Druuschan transports, Iím inclined to give them a somewhat angular shuttle (as opposed to the soft, cuddly curves of the Grymn lander). This one I started from scratch, though once again odd bits from Thingiverse/elsewhere and advice from friends made a significant difference:

It wonít be test printed until the printer arrives but hopefully it will work. Iíve left some flat surface area as Iím thinking the Druuschan will behave much like the Reavers from Serenity, so I might make some Grymn corpses to tie to the sides of the ships.

Hereís what it scales like with the Druuschan minis (Iíve borrowed a picture of someone elseís minis, might have been Dags  ???):

Terrain-wise, I expect itíll be summer Temperate so I can use much of my existing terrain to which I can add a sci-fi flavour.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 09:56:14 AM by Silent Invader »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 10:36:36 AM »
Very cool stuff. Those are both figure ranges that I've considered myself so am very keen to see this develop. You're making great strides with your software skills too. Im sure you won't be disappointed by your printer either.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 11:06:04 AM »
Cheers Steve and thanks for your help so far  8)

Offline eilif

• Mastermind
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 11:02:16 PM »
Cool project.  I like your choices of minis and vehicle designs.  Looking forward to seeing that Lander in 3d.
Chicago Skirmish Wargames:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/chicagoskirmish/
Chicago Skirmish Wargmes, Club Blog:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Grymn Reapers: ud 7/7 printed landers & shuttle
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 04:30:39 PM »
Thanks very much. Iíve been waylaid with matters 3D, learning quite a lot that is useful, and now have a clutch of printed vehicles.

A reminder of the Lander for the Grymn Light Infantry:

The role of the Lander is the Grymn is somewhat derived from the Lightweight (Airportable) Land Rover.

Carrying a driver plus 5 troops with little personal space or comfort, itís manoeuvrable, relatively fast, and readily modified.

There are now variants for each of the Grymn troop types (light, heavy, Missile, command) plus Iíve also printed off crashed markers that will be suitably decorated.

The Grymn are significantly smaller than their enemy, the Druuschan. The example is of Drone #1 whoís right arm will easily bend for variations in pose.

The Druuschan are in units of 10, travelling in a Shuttle.

The Shuttle is inspired by the Saracen APC, being larger and armoured, and in consequence much slower. 

The Shuttle has been printed in two parts and joined. I shall be needing to print more of them, no doubt making slight improvements when doing so.

Iíll be on to painting these soon.