Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:37:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Front Rank miniatures up for sale !!!  (Read 4287 times)

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Front Rank miniatures up for sale !!!
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2021, 09:27:46 AM »

The owners have run a great operation all these years with great customer feed back, but with their planned retirement its hard to see any real long term continuity with the company.
But what ever happens i wish Alec and his wife all the best , they have brought much enjoyment to many.

I can’t disagree with that. I don’t dislike many of the figures at all. Indeed I’m building out my Front Rank Late C17th collection right now. They have been a great company, with many lovely figures - it’s just the £££ numbers that look rather shaky to me.

And who knows... I don’t think Foundry have brought out anything new for the last 10 years, but they’re still going, trading - as far as I can see - entirely on their extensive back catalogue. So it can be done.

But as Gary says, a business that doesn’t continue to grow, innovate, move forward, may well last for a while treading water, but probably won’t have a long term future.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 08:25:57 PM »
Just had a delivery from Front Rank (well, the second since they announced the retirement) and it was top class service, just 8 days from placing the order to it arriving on my doorstep in Montreal.

Well packed and not a single miscast, casting worm on around 60 figures plus horses and artillery. The SYW British/Allied and French armies are just about complete now.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 06:12:39 PM »

Good point indeed Captain Blood...

To circle back to my original question, I have many friends who are of the artistic type (mostly visual art, photography, film and some actors/comedians and a signer...). I know they tend to lends toward making their "own art" with their "own style", but most of them, if not all, could quite easily copy the style of someone else... I’m wondering if it’s the same for miniatures sculpting. Could a new sculptor copy Alec’s style? Could he or she add new ranges and improve older sculpts? Would this be a more viable option for a potential buyer? Having a good bases to start with and the possibility to expand from this base?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline nonsuch

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 08:15:17 PM »
i
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 04:12:42 PM by nonsuch »

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 03:18:22 PM »
If someone does buy Front Rank they will have no choice but to find someone , if not themselves , to copy the front rank style for any future releases or it wont be front rank anymore!!!
Gripping Beast seem to have done alright!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2021, 10:13:44 AM »
Just noticed on Front Rank website that Gripping beast have bought them….should be open for business from 14th October.

Offline nonsuch

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2021, 08:15:50 PM »
Gripping Beast seem to have done alright!
Yes they are, how ironic you mentioned them, they are front rank now!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2021, 11:54:29 PM »
Oh no. Will they be called Gripping Rank or Front Beast?  lol
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2021, 10:05:57 AM »
Yes they are, how ironic you mentioned them, they are front rank now!
I don't claim to be some sort of mystic, but any offerings (in lead or plastic) that my followers wish to donate will be accepted gladly.

Offline nonsuch

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2021, 09:24:09 PM »
I don't claim to be some sort of mystic, but any offerings (in lead or plastic) that my followers wish to donate will be accepted gladly.
LOL