Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:27:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690862
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Factory , Greek Hoplites. Very nice :)  (Read 3634 times)

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
Wargames Factory , Greek Hoplites. Very nice :)
« on: June 02, 2021, 12:49:33 PM »
Having previously  bought Warlord Factory  "Field of  Glory"  sets  of  Romans, Celts, German Cav and Numidians I have to say they are quite a mixed bag.  Overall the sculpting sharpness is not great and yet they come w heaps of spare bits and  have the advantage, over most other plastic sets,  that for most figures both arms are free.  This enables greater diversity of builds.  In general the shields and weapons included are much better quality than the bodies.  Head were a mixed bag w some good ones but lots of poor ones w mold lines down middle of face and almost no mouth...

Anyhow w all that as background I was pleasantly surprised w how well done the hoplites set is.   Figures are crisp w minimal mold lines.   Again both arms are free so figures can easily  be made in attacking or  resting/ on guard stances.  Heads are nicer than previous and the usual excellent range and quality of weapons is reflected again w plenty of  kopis swords,  spears, sarissa,  shields  etc. 

Scale wise they fit well w  Victrix.  They are slightly bulkier and taller than Victrix  but well within normal human variations.  I've interchanged a few heads and they look fine either way.    A box of 30  will make a great basis to my Spartan army I'm looking forward to starting.     I'll post some shots as I go  but  for now here's some stock shots of the kit and some pro  paint jobs.   

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
Re: Wargames Factory , Greek Hoplites. Very nice :)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 12:50:02 PM »
the sprues. 

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 12:50:45 PM »
commander

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 12:51:34 PM »
more

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 12:56:49 PM »
It's a pity they are out of production.    Some other company should buy them  and continue to produce.  Warlord Games I'm looking at you !    Much better than their current Greek range ! 

There was also a set of  Greek Amazon Women by Wargames Factory -- which I'd love to get a set of  but  have been unable to find anywhere.   The search continues...

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 05:49:16 PM »
It's a pity they are out of production.    Some other company should buy them  and continue to produce.  Warlord Games I'm looking at you !    Much better than their current Greek range ! 

There was also a set of  Greek Amazon Women by Wargames Factory -- which I'd love to get a set of  but  have been unable to find anywhere.   The search continues...

Yeah, I'd been looking for them for a while as well with the Amazons.

Even more irritating, I'd put an order in for them that got canceled when Wargames Factory was bought by Warlord, and they'd promised that everything would be available "soon"

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 07:03:20 PM »
As soon as they whip up a set of rules to go along with. Shame they stopped doing that. The excellent WGF zombies/survivors range isn't available any more either, but at least the "test of fortitude" (when putting them together) Samurai are.. :)

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 12:38:30 AM »
Beautiful painting!

I have a box of them as well. I used all the cuirassed ones in my "Bactrian Royal Guard" unit that I'll hopefully be sharing soon. I agree that the proportions are nice and mix well with Victrix (and Foundry!)
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 02:44:34 AM »
I do like these, and wish they were still in production.  I will also say the Numidian boxed set is massively under rated.  They work for everything under the sun, from Numidians, to Peltasts, to slingers, and beyond.  It was an amazingly versatile box.
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 08:10:03 AM »
Beautiful painting!

I have a box of them as well. I used all the cuirassed ones in my "Bactrian Royal Guard" unit that I'll hopefully be sharing soon. I agree that the proportions are nice and mix well with Victrix (and Foundry!)

Looking forward to the Bactrians

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 08:16:12 AM »
Work in Progress

Left    WF body  w Victrix head and some greenstuff beard extensions. 

Middle  Victrix body  w  WF head

Right  straight WF

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 07:57:43 PM »
The Wargames Factory Greeks were well worth the price. Nice job on yours, they benefit from new painting techniques alot.
I found them to be too large to go with my collection at the time, but then Vendel and everything else seemed to grow. Two limitations I found were the lack of sleeves on any of the arms, and some of the heads and crests were a bit flat on my set I have. Now in a world of Victrix they fit much better, and head swaps do really help. I found the shields to be sadly lack luster- but most hoplite enthusiasts have at least one plastic bits box full of hoplite shields. I have a lifetime supply of Wargames Foundry ones that are just peachy.

I'm certain the red crested dude is Wargames Factory issue, bolstering some Old Glory and Foundry hoplites.
https://ancientbattles.com/HeroesOfGreece/old_hoplites/Old%20Hoplites_01282020_001_TitlePage.jpg
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 07:59:50 PM by Jjonas »
JJonas

Offline Cyrus1

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 03:00:09 AM »
I think Warlord bought all the Wargames Factory stuff but haven't reissued them yet as they have their own plastic hoplites. They were good value, I really liked their Persian infantry and cavalry sets too.

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2021, 07:50:53 AM »
I was wondering if the Persians were good.   I'll keep an eye out for them. 
Stage 2  in the 1st 3  guys. 

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 07:10:30 AM »
Spartan General.   Wargames Factory head and kopis.   Horse Aventine,  body I think Aventine but  ??  1st Corps.    :)