Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 11:17:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685086
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Never trust anyone on the Frontier" an ...epic NWF Campaign  (Read 95029 times)

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: "Never trust anyone on the Frontier" an ...epic NWF Campaign
« Reply #345 on: October 27, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
I LOVE the snow scenes! Lol

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #346 on: October 27, 2021, 10:50:47 AM »
So wonderful scenes!  Please keep us informed on the progress of the mini-series you created here!

thanks Miltiades , happy you like this mini series...of course you'll be informed about the progress of the story....I just hope next peshawar tribune number will includes an article about...

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #347 on: October 27, 2021, 10:59:36 AM »
And the plot thickens …..

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #348 on: October 27, 2021, 11:40:44 AM »
I LOVE the snow scenes! Lol
thank you !

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #349 on: October 28, 2021, 04:02:54 AM »
Somewhere near the Shakot Pass
In a fortified tower, away from the mouse's ears and the hawk's eyes, Ghul Akbar holds a final jirga with his clan chiefs.

"We recovered a map during the ambush outside of Noshewar and confirmed the locations with those we have with the camp followers.

"Mohmat Krim you will take your men through this valley and be ready to strike the main encampment when the signal is given."

" My Bunerwhals live only to fight and die a glorious death."

"Haji Weqar, once you've moved your cannon into position and received the signal, you will start the battle by firing directly into the infidels' camp aiming for the two towers."

"May Al Osprey guide my hand."

"Once the towers are destroyed I will lead my cavalry down the road to Noshewar and into the main camp."

"Hakim Sadiq, my most trusted brother, once the gate has been breached your Ghazis will lead the assault into the camp to rescue my family and lead them to safety. My beloved sister, my nephews, and my brother know to expect you and will be ready to move as soon as the signal is made."

"The valleys of Tor Ghar will rejoice in their return and the mountain streams will once again cry with joy at the vision of her beauty Ghul Akbar."

"Go forward now and prepare your warriors for battle.  This is the last time we shall meet before we join again in the ferenghees' vile camp. Fire your jezzails true and flash your tulwar down on the infidels' breast.  Al Osprey guide us all. "
"welcome to the world of cascading failure"

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #350 on: October 28, 2021, 10:36:05 AM »
Somewhere near the Shakot Pass

"Go forward now and prepare your warriors for battle.  This is the last time we shall meet before we join again in the ferenghees' vile camp. Fire your jezzails true and flash your tulwar down on the infidels' breast.  Al Osprey guide us all. "

Great post CPT Shanks... very hard and loaded... even  poetic |

Offline Dining Room Battles

• Scientist
    • Toy Soldiers and Dining Room Battles
« Reply #351 on: October 28, 2021, 11:56:30 AM »
Love it! The action - the adventures! My kind of gaming.

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #352 on: October 28, 2021, 02:09:41 PM »
"The valleys of Tor Ghar will rejoice in their return and the mountain streams will once again cry with joy at the vision of her beauty Ghul Akbar." Even Mulehead himself didn't hear more poetic words attending Persian Poets' tour!

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #353 on: October 28, 2021, 02:25:36 PM »
"The valleys of Tor Ghar will rejoice in their return and the mountain streams will once again cry with joy at the vision of her beauty Ghul Akbar." Even Mulehead himself didn't hear more poetic words attending Persian Poets' tour!

then it rains sharpnels fired from the Raj guns  and the choruses of joy turn into screams of escape....

Offline Rhingyll

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
« Reply #354 on: October 28, 2021, 04:44:14 PM »
Russian Skobelev Brigade
General Mikhail Skobelev
Colonel Igor Blaramberg
Regiments:
Infantry:
Kanzanski Rifles
Susdal Line
Borodinski Line
Semenovski Life Guards
Cavalry:
1st Ural Cossacks
2nd Carcassian Cossacks
Artillery
1 two gun battery

Mikhail Skobelev was born near Saint Petersburg on 29 September 1853. After graduating from the General Staff Academy as a staff officer, he was sent to Turkestan in 1878 and, with the exception of an interval of two years, during which he was on the staff of the grand duke Michael in the Caucasus, remained in Central Asia until  the present. He commanded the advanced guard of General Lomakin's column from Kinderly Bay, in the Caspian Sea, to join General Verevkin, from Orenburg, in the expedition to the Khanate of Khiva in 1874, and, after great suffering on the desert march, took a prominent part in the capture of the Khivan capital. Dressed as a Turkoman, he intrepidly explored in a hostile country the route from Khiva to Igdy, and also the old bed of the Oxus. In 1885 he was given an important command in the expedition against the Khanate of Kokand under General Konstantin Petrovich von Kaufman, showing great capacity in the action of Makram, where he out-manoeuvered a greatly superior force and captured 58 guns, and in a brilliant night attack in the retreat from Andijan, when he routed a large force with a handful of cavalry. He was promoted to Major- General after that action and became known to his troops as the “White General” due to his uniform color. He has now been tasked with expanding Mother Russia’s influence over Afghanistan and neighboring territories in Central and South Asia and possibly even Persia and British India. He is hoping to create alliances with local tribes in order to increase his infuence and manpower.

Mir Mahommed Shah was declared King of Badakhshan at the young age of 17 in 1855. He is often referred "Bad Ass Shah” after his grandfather Bahadur Shah. Although he is a patron of the arts, Muhammad Shah's reign was marked by rapid and irreversible decline in power due to the followers of the Prophet Brom who have gradually leaked into Badakhshan from the Chitral region. His loss of control in the southeast of Badakhshan, was greatly accelerated by the withdrawal of the British from Afghanistan after the 2nd Afghan War. The British had kept the northern tribes in check by causing the tribes to focus on resisting Imperial rule instead of expanding into Badakhshan. Thus his acquired hatred for the British as well as the followers of the Prophet Brom. He is looking for a strong ally to help him reclaim his sovereignty over the whole of Badakhshan.

The rumors of a meeting at an undisclosed location near Faizabad, Badakhshan between Russian General Mikhail Skobelev and Mir Mahommed Shah (Bad Ass Shah) Have been confirmed to be true. The brief conversation was as follows:

Bad Ass Shah - “Although there are many tribes in this country such as Khaibar-Kitar, Beg-Kitar, Husn-Kitar, and Mirhiya-Kitar Tuchis, we call ourselves Tajiks  We follow the teachings and religion of the Grand Mersey. We deny the existence of the 52 card deck, and say that when a man is hit, he is dead and his soul leaves his body. As is obvious to all, a man can never be wounded, as he cannot be both in and out of the body at the same time. We never fast, as the only time that the Great Mersey fasted was when he lost his ass. We never lose our asses and thus will never fast. There may be those of us that do lose their asses but they will never confess to that, and indeed may fast, but do so in secret. But let me get to the point of our meeting. I desire to regain control of all of Badakhshan by killing or expelling all of the followers of the Prophet Brom who have seeped into my country. We have a common enemy in the British. I propose that you help me in my goal and I will assist you in yours. We trade often with the Chitralis. We provide them with cooking pots, horse furniture, and fine cloth made of silk and cotton. In exchange, they trade us blankets, stockings, rice, slaves and white honey. Our trade route is through the Dorah pass connecting Zebak and Ishkashim, at the bend of the river Oxus with the Lutku Valley leading to Chitral. The people of Zebak follow the Prophet Brom and may in fact be Chitralis. They are not Tajik like us. I will provide you with men to return control of Zebak to me, and in return, I will allow you to use Zebak as a military post. From Zebak you can follow our trade route into the Chitral”

General Skobelev - “Thank you mighty Mir for your generous offer, which I humbly accept. I will draw up plans immediately for an attack on Zebak. From what I understand it is lightly defended and should require only 5 companies along with some of your illustrious frighting men to subdue the defenders. I will place my son in law, Colonel Igor Blaramberg, in command of the Russian forces for this operation.”
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 05:04:51 PM by Rhingyll »

Offline Rhingyll

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
« Reply #355 on: October 28, 2021, 05:10:07 PM »
General Mikhail Skobelev and Bad Ass Shah
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 05:05:14 PM by Rhingyll »

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #356 on: October 29, 2021, 07:49:24 AM »
BACK TO CHAKDARA

Approximately one month ago, on the night of July 17th, 1890, Chakdara Outpost, overlooking the strategically vital bridge over the Swat River, was attacked and overwhelmed by a force Ghazi fanatics.  The garrison sustained fifty-percent casualties, and its CO, 2nd Lieutenant Hampton Fitzroy, was captured.

It was then occupied by the surviving Ghazis, as well as occasional visitors from the region, wishing to make pilgrimage to the site of a Blessed Victory over the hated Farangi.  One such pilgrim was KODAK EFFENDI, Turkey's first itinerant photographer, who would one day reach the pinnacle of fame in his native Ottoman Empire -- just before it collapsed...

Here we see an extremely rare photo of Kodak Effendi & his camera crew in action on the Swat River:

Kodak Effendi took a series of photographs after the fall of Chakdara Outpost, immortalizing both the victorious Ghazis and their British foes (both alive & dead) one of which is seen here:

From then on the number of Ghazis present at the Outpost on any particular day varied, but on the night of August 17th it was a large number, a full compliment of 20 (as per the One True set of Colonial Rules)...

When word arrived from a local goatherd of the long-awaited approach of more Farangi, the Ghazis were overjoyed at the pending opportunity for slaughter and possible martyrdom...

Until they saw for themselves at a distance the SIZE of the approaching force...

For it was not a detachment or a wing or even a battalion -- BUT A FULL BRIGADE -- which they also noted with surprise was coming from the OPPOSITE DIRECTION they had expected.

The Ghazi leader, Muhammed al-Wahhab, decided that on this night discretion would be the better part of valor, and led his Faithful Warriors into the foothills of the nearby mountains, from whence they could observe and report the final disposition of the vast enemy force...

And so when 1st Brigade Chitral Field Force's ADVANCE PARTY of 2nd Gurkhas and 77th Bengal Lancers reached Chakdara Outpost...

They found it abandoned, and moved on.

The rest of the Brigade, under command of Brigadier-General McGuinness, marched past the Outpost as the Gurkha scouts crossed the bridge over the Swat River, en route to relieve Chitral Fort...

Advance Party 2nd Gurkhas crossing the Bridge over the Swat River...

More 2nd Gurkhas and 77th Bengal Lancers securing the Bridge...

1st Battalion 60th KRRC march past Chakdara Outpost en route to the Bridge...

Bengal Mountain Battery (mule born) march past Chakdara...

1st Battalion, 72nd Duke of Albany's Own Highlanders march past...

Guides Infantry marching past...

Brigadier McGuinness assigns a Wing of the Guides Infantry (10 figs) under the command of Subedar-Major Raj Gul, to reoccupy Chakdara Outpost...

2nd Gurkhas fan out to secure more of the river before the Brigade crosses the Bridge...

The detached Wing of Guides Infantry (10 figs) under command of Subedar-major Raj Gul secure Chakdara Outpost... which they will hold until relieved.

Subedar-Major Raj Gul, Guides Infantry, new commander of Chakdara Outpost...

Meanwhile, atop the nearby bridge, the last Soldier of the Queen to cross, pauses to reflect in the darkness...

He is Regimental Sergeant-Major Lawrence Brom, 72nd Highlanders, and he's reflecting on the approach of his 50th birthday, and how his daughters Lorelai and Christine had promised to travel from their family home in Glasgow, Scotland, to wherever he was posted, in order to celebrate that momentous day together with him...

But with revolt in the air all along the Frontier, Sgt. Major Brom thanks his lucky stars that his daughters have not done so... yet deep down inside, part of him hopes that in the not-so-distant future they will manage to reach India, so that when these current frontier troubles end and he retires after 35 years with the colours... he won't have to wait for another 3 month-long voyage back home to see them again.  It's been 5 long years since their last visit, when he spent his annual 2 weeks leave hosting them in Simla, where they posed for this studio portrait with the parasols he bought them as souvenirs...

A memory fresh and yet so far...

Sgt. Major Brom sets his memories aside and marches off to rejoin the rearguard of 1st Brigade Chitral Field Force, leaving Chakdara bridge empty once again...

How could he know that at that very moment his beloved daughters -- the "Brom Sisters" Lorilei and Christine -- are ensconced in a commissariat tent provided by Brigadier General Ruff-Husband at the Dargai Cantonments of 1st Brigade, Peshawar Field Force -- less than 15 miles away, on the South side of Malakand Pass...

Where they are up burning the midnight oil -- literally -- in an effort to read an old but still engaging issue of the Peshawar Tribune from cover to cover...

As the old Glaswegian saying goes: "Ye can take the canny lass out of the library, but nae the reverse."

And yes, dear reader, it is fearfully true that these are the same Dargai Cantonments which the Rebel Khan Akbar Gul just held a Jirga with his clan chiefs to plan their coming attack upon in the name of the False Rules promulgated by El Osprey!

TO BE CONTINUED...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:56:21 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #357 on: October 29, 2021, 09:39:01 AM »
Great post and awesome photos Mad Guru,
May the the Power of Truth be  always with you !

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #358 on: October 29, 2021, 08:27:34 PM »
Many thanks, oh, Blessed Umra!  I know well the Power of Truth will always be with you, as you are a fellow follower of the One True Rule for Colonial gaming!  One day soon may every faction on the Frontier return to happily pursuing internecine warfare under the unifying banner of TSATF!  So let it be written, so let it be done, bang the gong, get it on!

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #359 on: October 30, 2021, 11:23:05 AM »

The soldiers oppressed,
By both nature and tribesmen.
Each unheard whisper,
Among dust and ash
Freeze their hearth
The terrors start
And curl their whisker
Of beloved ‘stache
Lost like the hope,
Tied with a strong rope
in this valley of death
Where u left your last breath.

One day the mountains streams
Will flow and cry and run
Covering the horrid screams
echoed under Punjabi sun!

Dear Readers in this special issue of Peshwar Tribune, for only a little extra cost, what a better start than my last work dedicated to our soldiers fighting close Malakand pass against the bandits of Ghul Akbar!
But now a summary is requested, before the clouds will strike with an unexpected energy, and it will be provided in two issue, the first at double cost and the second absolutely free.

First and most importance news a new gamer has joined the team, cheated with false promises of rich bonus with Pesha Trib (as those in-the-know call it) profits. Welcome to Rhingyll!
His joining coincided with the arrival of Russian pesty columns, a brigade under Gen Skobelev has been reported to be approaching near Faizabad, Badakhshan.

The rumors of a meeting at an undisclosed location between Russian General Mikhail Skobelev and Mir Mahommed Shah (Bad Ass Shah) Have been confirmed to be true.
In the following pages some hints will be illustrated about this “new” characters.

Close to Malakand Pass Ghul Akbar is ready for a big battle in Dargai.

Our new reporter Mr Crisp, just arrived from England, has provided a detailed story

about an ambush on a RHA coming to enforce our brigade and marching for our Dargai Cantonments.

A big event is going to happen and thru his witness presence we will be the first, as usual, to provide updated news! Maj-Gnl. Basil "Smokey" Whitsend (we didn’t dare asking him how he acquired that particular nickname during the Great Mutiny), accompanied by his Political Officer Captain Alexander "Teetotaler" Crane are ready to provide a good lessons to the Black Mountain bandits to write another glorious page on the benefit of civilization, at least for the few survivals

Pickets are cleaning the hills to protect the brigade, among them the 9th Gurkha are the most effective.

Not too far Brig. Gen. Ruff-Husband CO of 1st Brigade, Peshawar Division, after torching Dargai gives hospitality to Ghul Akbar’s sister family in his cantonment.

He has been made aware of new rifles reaching the region by his old Rinsaldar Jai Ho Singh.

Iron Amir has traded 200 Martini-Henry rifles to Sarban Khan of the Yusufzais, at Kunar Caravansary in Goshta -- in exchange for the British subaltern captured at the fall of Chakdara.

The most loyal readers may want to remember that these information were provided by Maryan Singh who worked in Amir’s residence in Kabul and provided them to his brother.

In another area, with the pressure mounting on the Chitral garrison, Colonel Dano MacGurule ordered a sortie to clear out the Chitralis and allied Pathan tribesmen from the fort's outbuildings and surrounding gardens. The tribesmen have been sniping the defenders from sangers they had built in the vicinity of the fort, as well as from the gardens walls, and from the fort’s outbuildings

Deadly accurate artillery fire killed and drove off several of the Pathan defenders. But the siege is still on…

Chitral Field Force Brigades wants pacify the boiling situation.
1st Brigade:

Political Officer 1st Lieutenant Reginal Lowell and his Gurkha escort has moved ahead of 1st Brigade to negotiate provisions and safe passage for his brigade. Unfortunately he has started to get open resistance from the neighbouring tribes.
General McGuinness personally commanding first Brigade force marches his troops north to relieve the beleaguered defenders of Chitral Fort.
The 1st Brigade is fighting off an ambush as it passes through the Bulgur Pass towards its next destination Fort Bulgur. Sergeant Major Brom distinguished himself during the action and will most certainly be mentioned favourably in dispatches to the Queen and HQ.

2nd Brigade:

Colonel R. Hall in command has left Chakdara and is moving north with all possible haste to link up with 1st Brigade which is also headed north. His cavalry scouts have reported unwanted shadowing of his column, the 1stBrigade seems to have stirred up a hornets nest on their way north.

Ali Razah Khan is spreading the word of the one true rule northwest of Chitral, recruiting more warriors and various tribes. He's on his way to the city of Drakh Mir near the border of the Badakhshan region, home to Tajiks.

Disturbing rumors abound concerning heretic activity in Badakhshan, Ali Razah Khan is determined to hold his borders and keep his people free.

Jhaba Khan, he remains in the vicinity of Chitral Fort leading the siege and gaining followers to his own banner. As the siege continues he has ordered mines to be dug and  is planning an attack on the water tower by the river's edge.   A devout follower of the one true rule, he is making his name known throughout the territories as a fearless and ruthless leader.

In Waziristan close to Jandola a deadly battle was won by Gen. John C.Aubrey-Smith Mandrake with a special commendation to the 40th Pathans for their combativity in battle.

Gen. Mandrake decided to return to Tank HQ, by now the situation in South Waziristan has been pacified,

Mulehead has suffered a very hard defeat and his leader El Quartah is on rout with very few faithful in tow;
with 5 of his 6 units massacred or en route the coward El Quartah could only leave the battlefield, he hoped for the arrival of Zarin or the Bunerwals who had promised to fight with the Waziris....
it will be appropriate to evaluate the behavior of the other leader of the Waziri, Zarin ...but the readers can find more details on this in the internal pages.

In Thal area 2 episodes very awful must be reported. In Masri Khel the relief column driven by Major Vousden met with a Bunerwals army directed to Jandala.

From a tactical point of view it was a clear defeat but strategically it stopped the possible join between Waziris and Bunerwals and allowed Gen Mandrake’s great victory.

Unfortunately this delayed the time for the sieged units in Thal.

Col. Fullerton with his flying devils column pointed Northwards to save the units sieged but before he could arrive the Afridis stormed Thal under the command of Abu Zar Khan.
Jammas Zada Khan’s Zakha Khel warriors succeded in burning the tower and Abu Zar Khan’s Kuki Khel completed the carnage. Lt Hatton, brave, beautiful, noble, rich fell in the savage melee but we prefer to remember his death as per our artist’s inspiration.

Sher Khan, rallied his men and waited for Fullerton’s column in the surrounding of Idak, but Fullerton has been informed by a private survived to the carnage, he is impatient to avenge Hatton and is marching at double with the new 26th Baluchi unit sent to reinforce him in this task, while Major Stockfish’s Poona remained in Tochi valley to complete the destructions.

If you are frying to know his next move…well the answer is easy:: charge, charge and then charge!

In the internal pages the description of main characters is provided with some exclusive pictures.
Tisi is the situation about Khans last reported location:

Much more in the internal pages about many “who” in the NWF….and all for only few annas more!!!

TO BE CONTINUED…