Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:59:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Never trust anyone on the Frontier" an ...epic NWF Campaign  (Read 96088 times)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Re: "Never trust anyone on the Frontier" an ...epic NWF Campaign
« Reply #480 on: January 07, 2022, 11:19:28 AM »
Truly wisdom flows from the mouth/fingertips of Umra Khan like water from the falls of the Hindu Kush!  All I will add is that on that day (when we take the adorable stack of firewood from Parbal Gali & use it to fuel a pyre for to burn all the unbelievers) there will be MUCH REJOICING!!!
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #481 on: January 07, 2022, 06:25:41 PM »
Now in Injia’s sunny clime,   
Where I used to spend my time   
A-servin’ of ’Er Majesty the Queen...

Dispatches Abbottabad
Recent action along the border in the Black Mountain village of Parbal Gali demonstrates a need for further punitive crossings into the tribal  regions. The force's political officer Sir Cullingame feels this new development may be a result of the the bandit khan Ghul Akbar being in Swat fomenting jihad, and allowing the Chagarzai to expand into previously pacified territory unchecked.  This aggression will be quashed by immediately increasing patrols in this area and burning any villages suspected of harboring these malcontents.

GSTQ
BG MacQueen
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 08:01:47 PM by CPT Shanks »
"welcome to the world of cascading failure"

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #482 on: January 08, 2022, 11:07:30 AM »
Prologue Battle of Surani

Bannu, sun rising indifferent to the tragedy below his rays

Two British officers are discussing at the gate of the strategic town, two well known officers, Br Gen Davenport and the gallant Maj Vousden, still waiting for his VC and following promotion.

“William the situation is very critical, Fully seems disappeared near Mir Ali Mirali and between him and Stockfish they probably can barely assemble only few fighting units, now that also reinforcements have been destroyed by this ruffians (see link: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131610.450), what’s the name…ah yes Rowenda or something like that, and now this is the situation:

Waziri are devasting Tochi Valley while Afridis are coming from Spinwam and menace to cut our communication if they take Mir Ali Mirali (see link: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131610.435) and that idiot Mandrake worries over everything that doesn’t matter and forget those to do. Instead of sending immediately Munchy to support my boys in Tochi valley, keep him napping in Jandola, as if for his only presence Mulehead run hiding into Wana. I know Mandrake, in his office they spend the days in endless discussions talking about everything under the sun and doing nothing.
But you William…you are a steady officer.

“Sir thank you sir, but I…”
“No stop it, I am not as stupid as Mandrake and I can recognize a good officer also without seeing it”
Vousden mumbled what he wanted to mean, but Davenport continued
“I have had a meeting with an old friend of mine, Mohammed Khan, he belongs to Khattak tribes and they are worried for the great power Umra is achieving thru his Afridis conquests.

Well, he told me that Bajadur, the idiot first son of Sher Khan has discussed with his father because is jelaous of his brother Wali and of the glory he is achieving campaigning under Abu Zar. Now he with few bandits is devasting Surani area claiming that his father and his brother are only jackals, he know well how fighting ferenghees and this kind of idiocy and some ruffians are rallying under his flag.”
“Is this Khattak reliable? I mistrust all Punjabis”
“Oh yes he is, I m a good connoisseur of men. He teached me also some good proverbs:  Sher now is divided among helping Wali and Abu Zar, but this could become too mighty; and also about his young son…could become a problem…you know the Pashtun proverb: the wise man distrusts even his mother; or supporting Bajadur, but this...b ut he is a blinding dog hunting deer and probably he will decide to keep his best warriors under his direct control, waiting to have Umra’s suggestions, or orders if u prefer. We will decide for him…”

“And we should trust this Khattak ruffian, Sir?”
“Exactly good boy you got the point. And with his precious information I have developed a plan to get rid of these pesty Pashtuns even without the help of inept Mandrake. You William will get in a hurry few units and march on Surani. You will take Bahadur and we will have a good hostage against Sher, while  giving time to Fully to recover his men and counterattack Ruanda ..Powanda or whatever is his bloody name or Abu Zar, or both and then march with you back to Tirah. Easy like Sunday morning!”
“Sir yes sir” My… this man is a perfect mix of superhuman stupidity and monumental incompetence. But on one thing he is right, Surani must be cleaned from bandits, possibly taking some important hostages, but I know how they fight, and it will be not an easy task.”
“Risaldar Singh Dhillon ask to Cpt Gonnester and LT Barnes and Utterton to kindly come immediately to my room for urgent orders, run!”
In the very same moment, close to Surani a Khattak tribesman is speaking with Rustam Bahadur:
“Hosoor your plan is working, they will run here and you will attend them and show to your Father, the mighty Sher Khan, your value and smartness”
“Good job but now go and refer any news from Bannu!”
Then Rustam Bahadur galloped among his warriors rallying them and ordering for the imminent battle, probably they will arrive in the afternoon and a messenger will run to inform Sher to come and spring the trap.

“Today it will be a good day to die and I will give a harsh lesson to these Ferenghees. I will stop them, gaining precious time and pinning them here, and my Father will be obliged to come to support me and, on the inertia, also Bannu will fall and I will be recognized for what I am!”
But Vousden is not losing more time, he knows that quick victory will be a must.
Surani, less than a village, few mud brick houses, will witness a memorable day which will influence all next moves in North Waziristan…

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:55:03 PM by giorgio »

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #483 on: January 08, 2022, 06:59:30 PM »
My Sufis think Rastum Bajadur will meet his demise at Surani. His father will not come and the only thing he will gain is martyrdom.  This will prove to be a victory for the Raj, though just a minor skirmish, not the linchpin to the region that  BG Davenport expects
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 08:40:38 PM by CPT Shanks »

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #484 on: January 10, 2022, 09:32:04 AM »
THE HUNZA FIELD FORCE
Start the march

From the Zibbib Khan diary…
"…The last days spent in Gilgit were full of preparations...
The sounds of the bugles from reveille to lights-out ever kept us in mind that we were now really engaged in a military expedition.
Among my units, the Spedding’s pathans, those who have been selected were in high spirits, they did not know against whom they would be asked to fight, neither did they much care; they regarded fighting as a piece of fun…it must be Russians ? "

On the 20th September of 1890 the HFF left the Gilgit Fortress…
The military column leaves the fortress of Gilgit under the eyes of the Maj. Forsyth.
The Punitive Expedition against the Kanjutis,  the Hunza Field Force “HFF” consists of:
1 Platoon of the 5th Gurkhas 20 figs, under the command of Lt. Kennedy
1 Platoon of the 1st Imperial Kashmir Rifles 20 figs. under the command of Lt. Kidd
1 Wing of the Bengal Sappers & Miners 10 figs,. under the command of Lt. Jiulian of the RE
1  Platoon of Irregular Pathans 14 figs, under the command of Lt. Fitzpatrick
1 Section of Hazara mountain artillery  under the command of Lt. Mc Cormick
Command of operations is assigned to Capt. McKenzie of the Seaforth Highlanders
2nd in Command Capt. Tennyson of the 2nd Sikhs PFF…..

The military column cross  the Indus River just before the confluence with the Hunza River, the river could be passed on a bridge of a series of stones connected by planks

Their first step is  the fort of Chalt in Kanjutis territory, where a small garrison of Kashmiris soldiers with few English officers are our last outpost .

The avanguard is composed by the workers of Spedding who together with the Bengal Sappers & Miners under the command of Lt. Julian work to make the road passable.

The Gurkhas of the 5th Regiment of Lt. Kennedy serve as protection for the column, crowning the heights during the risky cross of the river.

The 1st Imperial Kashmir Rifles crosses the bridge with supply mules.

The artillery section of the Hazara mountain battery leaves the walls of the fortress.

Capt, Mckenzie and Capt. Tennyson give dispositions to soldiers...

Our heroes patiently wait their turn to cross the river...meanwhile they keep an eye on the strange figure with the cloak that accompanies the expedition, Maa Din the son of El Osprey.

That boy is the true purpose of the long journey that brought Zibbib Khan, Flashy and the other men to these distant lands.
Zibbib and his men are waiting for nothing more than an opportunity to take Maa Din and abandon the cheerful group, but they know that it will not be easy... they are involved in a military expedition and there is a serious risk of having to fight... and in front of them beyond the Kanjutis could be the Russians, also interested in the son of El Osprey, and Dad Mahomed a pathan from Quetta, a notorious ruffian and assassin, captured last year in Bokhara by Capt. Bower and already escaped...

And if this were not enough, they will have to find the mysterious village of Sust, a kind of Shangri'-la', a place that few travelers have found and that for many has represented death, by frostbite or falling into the ravines or getting lost in the endless mountains of the Pamir ...

Unfortunately two watchful eyes are watching the scene...

To be continued…..

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #485 on: January 10, 2022, 09:41:05 AM »
Great pictures! What mysteries are waiting for our friends in Sust? Intriguing... can't wait...

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #486 on: January 10, 2022, 11:24:55 AM »
I LOVE this thread!  :-* It's like reading a bloody Hopkirk novel.  ;)

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #487 on: January 10, 2022, 03:24:25 PM »
¡Fantastico Piero!
Great start to a new fight brewing in the north. I cannot wait to see the full battle engaged. I see another shady character, last spotted near Dargai. Could it be he is there at the behest of El Opsrey? Can no one be trusted on the frontier.

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #488 on: January 14, 2022, 02:01:48 PM »

Colonel Fullerton in Spinwam 

All hearts break, that it’s raining death
Today in Thal, heroes’ blood is being shed
The khaki uniform will be our coffin
Soldiers, come home – the fresh wildflowers have wilted and died
Pasthun have become wolves, humanity no longer exists
Murder’s a common occurrence and no one hear your noise
The flower has turned into ashes, every sound means a shot
Look at that Colonel over there; he’ll yearn eternally for his boys
Mighty Fully, we crave Your mercy, here You’re Rahim and you’re Rahman,
Today you’re Alfa and you’re Omega, we crave your Mercy or a pint of beer.
But we never see rain of mercy here, only rain of death by any Afghan
Whether in Thal or Spinwam, or Ali Mirali Mir
They are content with discord, They are content with blood,
They will never be content with a ferenghee khan.
Angel of death’s veil is coated over lives all around
Freedom from the Forbidden, a ray of light
Help one another, soldiers, else life doesn’t sound;
Help one another and follow your Colonel to the fight!

Dear Readers, after many months a special issue with many news is available in the best shops of Peshawar. Unfortunately, we must regret that also if new issues were not published, subscribers have not any right for reimbursement, and this number being a special one, must be payed separately.
But the price is nothing compared with the beauty of last ballad written by your beloved Winkie and available also in the last book of his Peshawar barrack ballads with many other poetic poems.
What is happening on the Frontier?
Let’s start from west where Muletail with is friends has been captured by some Afridis, retending they were the Tajiks inhabitants of Mir Zakah. We left our hero when the Afridis were attacked by some warriors just out the mysterious tower out of the village. Which is his secret?

Probably the attacker are Tajiks which did not rally under Powanda’s jihad, his army has won an important battle destroying the reinforcement sent to Tochi Valley and now Fullerton entrenched in Mir Ali Mirali is trying to form a last resistance with the rest of the defeated units from Tochi, Bannu and Thal.

The Afridis counter attack after conquering Thal and Spinwam, is splitted in three. On the west Abu Zar is rallying his ever winning troops,including Wali second son of Sher Khan, to attack and conquer Mir Ali Mirali breaking the communication line between Bannu and Tochi valley.

Rastum Bajadur with his ruffians is waiting for Vousden attack from Bannu, to receive timely support by his father Sher Khan and destroy the Anglez, opening the road to Bannu.

More South Mandrake is well entrenched in Tank and his Colonel Murchison is patrolling out of Jandala to refrain and intercept waziris bands movement,

keeping a special eye on Zarin after Mandrake defeated El Quartah at the battle of Palosina. and Mulehead gave him to his snakes.

(for more info about Palosina battle see link: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131610.315)
But what is happening in the North?
In Chitral Muletail khan (the nephew of Mulehead, not his son who is actually in Mir Zakah) tried in vain to stop a relief column, which reached safely Fort Bulgur

(for more details see following link: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131610.375#top)
North west of Chitral a new gamer is trying to force his arrival

But their route pass thru Zebak and his fierce tribesmen will be a though nut to crack

(for more details about the siege see https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131610.390)
The town’s defenders, including Mummar Am Salad, Chieftain of Zebak, flee for their lives towards the foothills of the Hindu Kush while Russian casualties were light. Politically this was to be considered a victory for Faizabad and Bad Ass Khan in gaining control once again of Zebak and it’s surrounding area. It will be reported that the Tajiks played a major role in the victory and the Russian’s were there in more of an observer’s role.Colonel Blaramberg now awaits further instruction from General Skobelev. Mummar Am Salad and what is left of the heroic defenders of Zebak now are making their way over Nuksan Pass into the Chitral to seek help from Chitrali tribes and any others that could help them exact revenge on the Tajiks and their newly found Tsarist allies.
Close to the black mountain, precisely in the village of Parbal Gali, following is the report by one of our best reporters, Mr Crisp, moving on the Frontier like an old veteran:

“There was ‘undreds of ‘em there was! Wild ‘eathens screaming down from the mountain in their white pyjamas, tulwars flashing in the sun, an’ they ‘ad a cannon too! An ‘orrible sight to behold!” On the 10th of September Major Angus W. MacGhee, Seaforth Highlanders, led a combined column to the border village of Parbal Gali. The column was attacked by ambuscade by a force of no less than two hundred Chagarzais and Hazaras. Parbal Gali falls well within the Indian border so this must be seen as an escalation of violence against friendly Pathan allies and so met with swift reprisal.

Upon his return to the Darband cantonment Major MacGhee immediately refit and organized a column to conduct punitive actions against the villages north of the border suspected of harbouring and aiding the malcontents.
Further north east the military column cross  the Indus River just before the confluence with the Hunza River, the river could be passed on a bridge of a series of stones connected by planks

Zibbib and his men are waiting for nothing more than an opportunity to take Maa Din and abandon the cheerful group, but they know that it will not be easy... they are involved in a military expedition and there is a serious risk of having to fight... and in front of them beyond the Kanjutis could be the Russians, also interested in the son of El Osprey, and Dad Mahomed a pathan from Quetta, a notorious ruffian and assassin, captured last year in Bokhara by Capt. Bower and already escaped...

And if this were not enough, they will have to find the mysterious village of Sust, a kind of Shangri'-la', a place that few travelers have found and that for many has represented death, by frostbite or falling into the ravines or getting lost in the endless mountains of the Pamir ...

From the sunny plains of Punjab, to the snow-capped peaks of the Pamirs, the adventures of a hero without spot and without fear, who with a small group of trusted soldiers goes where three Empires meet, in search of the lost City of Sust...

Unfortunately Zibibb and Flashy are unaware that two watchful eyes are controlling the scene...

But other news come from Shakot valley, as reported by the ubiquitous Crisp:

"Once I saw the signal... I would call for the retreat of my cavalry, signaling the fallback of the army, and we would return by separate routes to the fortress tower near Shakot Pass."
--Gul Akbar Khan

ON AUGUST 19, 1890 -- THE DAY AFTER HIS FAILED ATTACK ON DARGAI CANTONMENTS -- THE ABOVE COMMUNICATION FROM GUL AKBAR KHAN TO HIS SUB-COMMANDERS WAS INTERCEPTED BY THE INTELLIGENCE STAFF OF BRIGADIER GENERAL STEWART RUFF-HUSBAND, COMMANDER 1ST BRIGADE, PESHAWAR FIELD FORCE.

The one thing Gul Akbar Khan and his forces managed to accomplish was to steal away with his sister FARAH AKBAR, her husband NAZIM GUL (the last Headman of Dargai prior to its punitive destruction) and their three sons RAZA MUHAMMAD, BABA MUHAMMAD, & GAZA MUHAMMAD -- all of whom were being detained within 1st Brigade's Cantonments prior to the attack.

Upon receipt of the intercept, Brig. Gen. Ruff-Husband ordered 1st Brigade to immediately prepare for a forced march over Malakand Pass and on to the Shakhot Valley via the SHAKHOT PASS, to be followed by a coordinated assault on the Fortress Tower that faces the Pass from inside the Valley, with the object of RECAPTURING the High Value Enemy Prisoners recently freed by Gul Akbar and, if need be, destroying said tower in the process.

In preparation for this fight, 1st Brigade's 2 Mountain Batteries boasting a combined 6 Screw-Guns would be joined by E/B RHA's 3 x 9-pounder Horse Artillery Guns, which had reached Dargai on August 18th just in time to help defeat Gul Akbar's attack on the Cantonments.

ON AUGUST 20, 1890, 2nd Brigade, Peshawar Field Force arrived at Dargai. Personnel, supply, and transport preparations for 1st Brigade's imminent departure already complete, Brig. Gnl. Ruff-Husband and his staff briefed 2nd Brigade C.O. Brig. Gnl. McGilligan and his staff on current conditions, handed over command of the Cantonments and control of the vital Malakand Pass to the North, and bid adieu.  Plans were made for communications between the Brigades to be maintained via heliograph, or in cases of inclement weather conditions via courier.

Despite the punishing heat, 1st Brigade set off right after noon that same day, with 9th Gurkhas taking point, followed by 12th Bengal Cavalry, 23rd Sikh Pioneers, No. 2 (Dejara) & No. 3 (Peshawar) Mt. Batteries, and 17th Punjabis, with 92nd Highlanders bringing up the rear.  Almost all of these units had suffered some casualties during the attacks on Dargai Cantonments, but most of these had been WIA and (thanks to some good die rolls) nearly all returned to the active duty ranks over the intervening days.  Total KIA were 13 (an admittedly unlucky number), with the hardest hit unit being 9th Gurkhas, who alone suffered 5 KIA.  Still, in Brigadier General Ruff-Husband's judgement his Brigade remains strong enough to launch this new operation.

MEANWHILE IN SHAKHOT VALLEY ITSELF...

The retreating Lashkar of Gul Akbar impatiently awaits delivery of their overdue TENTS, which remain under HOLY WAR RUSH ORDER in the workshop of Lewanay Habibi’s (AKA: "Crazy Habibi's") PUKKA PAVILION PALACE...

Do not miss to subscribe to avoid missing any issue! All cheques must be sent directly to Mr Winkie to be eligible for a further 10% discount
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 02:18:15 PM by giorgio »

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
« Reply #489 on: January 17, 2022, 01:41:03 AM »
Great to see you having fun.  :)

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #490 on: January 20, 2022, 03:08:46 PM »
Great posts and intriguing stories, the tents should be something out of this world ...I'm really eager to see the final result,
Carry on  Up the Khyber !

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #491 on: January 20, 2022, 10:39:38 PM »
In response to Major "Wheezy" MacGhee's after action report, two troops of 11th Bengal Lancers escort a company of the 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers, despatched from Tilli to conduct punitive action against Seri and other suspected villages.

As always they are accompanied by the Colonel's wolfhound Shere Khan.

Offline Rhingyll

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
« Reply #492 on: January 21, 2022, 02:53:07 AM »
Nice looking lancers!!

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #493 on: January 21, 2022, 09:47:06 AM »
Yes, very nice indeed!  I will also note for posterity that CAPT SHANKS' post and Rhingyll's complimentary comment showcase the brotherly-love and comradeship of our campaign, as those very same Bengal Lancers were I believe most generously posted -- perhaps half-painted? -- from one to the other.  It's true they both stand on the same -- profoundly wrong -- side of the line when it comes to which set of Colonial Wargames Rules spread devout truth and which tell insidious lies, but in this case I will not hold that against them.  Hear, hear!  But sentiment aside, I am compelled to point out how that looks more like half a troop of lancers than two!  On the other hand, the handsome hound and his miniature likeness both look like a veritable canine army corps of one!

Offline Rhingyll

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
« Reply #494 on: January 21, 2022, 05:31:14 PM »
Mad Guru - Whilst each wargamer follows their own choice of the "True Ruleset",  we all steadfastly believe that these little tin men have souls and lives of their own. Therein lies the tie that binds us.