Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:36:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685059
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Never trust anyone on the Frontier" an ...epic NWF Campaign  (Read 95015 times)

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
Re: "Never trust anyone on the Frontier" an ...epic NWF Campaign
« Reply #645 on: June 29, 2022, 05:48:05 AM »
With the Britishers withdrawn south of Hazara territories and tucked safely behind their fortress walls for the winter the tribes of Torghar could sensibly get back to their second favorite pastime, the first being sniping at ferenghees and their lackey dogs, that of trying to best each other for a better valley, or a mountain stream, a stepped field, a fine dog, or a herd of goats. Or to settle blood debts and ancients feuds, as well as a few new ones brought on by those who would betray the Torghar just to enjoy the Britrishers' salt. That's right, fighting each other for fun, profit, and glory. But mostly for fun.

To that end, a campaign within a campaign has taken shape. Inter-tribal scores to be settled. Blood debts to be recouped. Marriages and alliances to be planned, or the other way around.   I have broken down the primary Torghar tribes  into the Akazai,  Hassanzais, Chagarzai, Pariari Saiyid, the coalition of Nandihar, Allai, Tikari(NAT), and finally south of the Britisher's established border and a buffer against India, the Hazara.
Each tribal area comes into this portion of the campaign with the losses inflicted defending against the predation of the Raj forces in terms of life, livestock, and winter food stocks.  The hardest hit of these tribes were the NAT coalition so they will require the most compassion from their neighbors, or fight the fiercest to secure enough supplies to last through the winter without abandoning their ancestral villages to beg on the streets of Abbottabad and Peshawar.

Who will come out on top in the spring? Who will taste their neighbor's chora in the long night? Who will be assimilated into the surrounding tribes?

I used a combination of resources for the campaign but primarily Jim Webster's Hellfire Campaigns to establish the initial dispositions and resources. I devised a loose road to war based on happening in the overall campaign and got stuck in. The first battle being securing a pass between NAT territory south east of Thakot for follow on attacks to secure food and replace livestock lost in the punitive expedition by the hated ferenghees.  It was a hard fought battle between a NAT vanguard arned with jezails and rifles against border villagers armed with chora and tulwar. The door into Chagarzai territory is now open.

Schemes within schemes are the rule of the day. New heros will rise and old heros may fall, but who is pulling the strings? Who is funding this tribal war, where are the modern rifles coming from? Who has already formed alliances, however shaky, with whom? Who will die in their sleep, betrayed with a chora in their back?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 05:59:10 AM by CPT Shanks »
"welcome to the world of cascading failure"

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #646 on: June 30, 2022, 10:53:03 AM »
The battle of Gumatti

After leaving Allison’s column at the road pitchfork, Vousden advanced toward Gumatti and, while observing the low pace of supplies caravan, instructs Daniel Hunters, leader of the Northumberland company:

“Daniel we must clear the path before these ruffians can reorganize and receive Sher Khan’s support”
“Sir, perhaps you should reconsider the opportunity to split our column and rejoin with Allison’s troops”

“Not at all,  we cannot afford losing other time and I need to be sure that my flank and rear are well protected. We will advance unseen, covered by those rocks and boulders. Those villains don’t expect us before few days. Allison was instructed to advance with maximum noise and dust clouds, so they do not foresee any danger from this side!

We will advance on the left, a detachment with machine guns will cover the centre while on the right Rowes’s Ghurkas will get their toll, destroying whatever they will meet”.
“Sir I must insist that you do not expose yourself to those bandits’ fire”
“Do not be fool, the jezail bullet that kills me has yet to come; my boys need a good example to give their best. Look here the map, tomorrow we will be ready to march into Shewa, cutting out Sher Khan from defending Thal and from there we will be able to support Fullerton or, better, march directly into Tirah to confirm our authority over all Afridis. Umra will be much more manageable after licking his wounds…”

But Vousden should find very soon that his plans are too optimistic.

The fanatic Ghazi under the command of Amar Khan were well alerted and attacked with ruthless violence killing 5 sowars, suffering the same losses incurred.

With a "brilliant manoeuvre" Vousden retreats

leaving to Daniel Hunters’ Northumberlands the possibility to open a devasting fire

and then Vousden charged again and again the pinned Ghazi, killing all the survivors, included Amir Khan.

In the mean time Mack’s machine gun started to fire on Afridi gun, together with Rowsen Ghurkas, killing half crew but receiving the fire of Bajadur’s irregulars

Vousden charged again destroying the crew and killing their leader, Jagvir Khan.

At this point Rowsen's Ghurkas rallied to recover from Gurjas Khan’s fire, but Hunters'"the old and the bold" failed to kill any Bajadur’s warrior, avoiding his test for pinning.

Bajadur ordered immediately to his irregulars to turn their front and to discharge a lethal volley which killed also Vousden, destroying all the unit! But Gurjas Khanìs Afridis, still on the ground, ennerved by Vousden raid behind them, lost the opportunity to keep firing on the Ghurkas allowing the rally and counterfiring with devasting precision, even if Afridis were gone to ground to offer a more difficult target.

Hunters Northumberlands advance in skirmishmode and pin Badajur’s irregulars which cannot be rallied and rout, like Gurjas Khan’s tribesmen under devasting fire by Ghurkas.
At the end the Afridis are in rout under Bajadur and Gurjas, leaving Gumatti to the British which now have lost their leader.

Now Hunters follows his original plan to rejoin with Allison’s column, but this delay allows Sher Khan to anticipate their move returning to Thal and rallying Bajadur’s army survivors.
The time is frozen: what will happen in the north west Waziristan with old good Fully? If col Fullerton will defeat Sher Khan’s son Wali Khan he will have a double opportunity: marching on Spinwam and Shewa AND manoeuvring to trap Sher Khan between him and Allison, defeat all the Afridis and storming Thal before invading Tirah... but now stop dreaming!

We cannot close this report without a due homage by R, Winkle to the young Major Vousden (DSO), gloriously fallen leading his men to another victory! The poem, included in the Peshawar Barracks Ballads, will inspire also Melville’s poem:

Major Vousden last ride
Beauty and youth, with manners sweet,
And mighty friends couldn’t avoid his defeat; 
Gold, yet a mind not unenriched had he 
Whom here low rocks veil from eyes under a tree.
But all these gifts transcended be:
Major’s happier fortune in this mound you see.

In the following pictures Allison’s Gords celebrate the last tribute to the hero, after rejoing the two columns:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 11:57:57 AM by giorgio »

Offline Rhingyll

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
« Reply #647 on: June 30, 2022, 07:38:43 PM »
Current Location of the two Russian Brigades that have entered the Chitral Region.

Russian Perovsky Brigade

General: Vasily Perovsky
Colonel: Alexander Keldysh
Major:  Petrov Stepanovich

Infantry:
Kuban Cossack Foot Regiment
Smolenksi Line
Kharkiv Line
Turkestan Rifles

Cavalry:
Pavlogradski Hussars
Volga (Carcassian Cossacks)

Artillery:
1 two gun battery   
1 Naval Gatling gun

Russian Skobelev Brigade

General Mikhail Skobelev
Colonel Igor Blaramberg

Infantry:
Kanzanski Rifles
Susdal Line
Borodinski Line
East Siberian Rifle Regiment
Semenovski Life Guards

Cavalry:
1st Ural Cossacks
Stavropol (Carcassian Cossacks)

Artillery
1 two gun battery
1 two gun mortar battery
1 Naval Gatling Gun
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 07:41:12 PM by Rhingyll »

Offline Rhingyll

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
« Reply #648 on: June 30, 2022, 08:04:06 PM »
Lt Lowell has returned to the camp of the 1st Brigade of the Chitral Field Force. He along with Naik Gurung #4864 have briefed the commanding office of the brigade, General McGuinness, on the information gathered from their recent re-con mission. One of the village Elders encountered gave them information about a secret pass that would save them significant time on their march to relieve Chitral. Naik Gurung #4864 did not entirely trust the information that was given to them regarding the pass and wasn’t sure that it existed at all. General McGuinness is well aware of the fact that nobody can be trusted on the Northwest Frontier. A decision was made to further investigate the possibility of this pass and a larger reconnaissance force would be sent out. This force would include a heliograph team that would be able to signal back information to the main force as it continued to slog its way, northward, to and through the Lowari Pass. After traversing the Lowari Pass, which wasn’t an easy task by any means, the patrol sets up camp by a small stream.

1 unit of Pashtun Guides (platoon sized)
1 squadron of the 77th Lancers (Lt Howell)
1 company of the 2nd Gurkhas (Naik Gurung #4864)
1 platoon of the 23rd Sikh Pioneers
1 platoon of 72nd Highlanders
1 signal corps heliograph team
Baggage train

Meanwhile, A Russian Brigade commanded by General Vasily Perovsky has successfully crossed the Dora Pass into the Chitral. Progress is slow and Perovsky has sent out a re-con patrol to see if there is any easier and faster path towards Chitral. The patrol, commanded by Major Petrov Stepanovich, has lost its bearings, ventured off course, and is now heading south of Chitral towards the northwestern side Lowari Pass.

1 company of the Kuban Cossack Regiment
1 company of the Smolenski Line Regiment
1 company of the Kharkiv Line Regiment
1 squadron of Pavlogradski Hussars
Baggage Train
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 08:15:31 PM by Rhingyll »

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #649 on: July 04, 2022, 02:01:05 PM »
Rawalpindi 14th November 1890
To: BG McQueen
Abbottabad

From. Gen. Bindon Blood
Rawalpindi

Dear Mac Shuibhne
I have received your letter and I appreciated the way in which you transmitted it.
Too many ears and eyes are always ready to steal secrets...
I really appreciated your decision to bring your troops to the winter camps, but I advise you to alert your Political Agents because these tough mountaineers are heedless of the cold and snow and could go down to the valley to plunder villages and kidnap people.

I received rumors of a large amount of weapons and ammunition ready to leave for Black Mountain. The artisans of Darra are completing the preparation of rifles and ammunition, I have this information from one of our agents down at the Kohat pass.

It is imperative to try to intercept this expedition before it reaches the rebels.

Regards
BiBi

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #650 on: July 05, 2022, 06:44:24 AM »
Concerned that our last despatch took so long to get to you. Our couriers never returned and if the never arrived I fear the worst. Consider the last despatch compromised however the information is wrll out of date now and if little use. Still disconcerting about losing our couriers.

Understand all information reference shipments into the Black Mountains have established screening patrols along lines of communication from my HQ to Darband to west and Oghi Fort to east.

This information fits with current assessment that inter tribal conflicts are being fomented and financed by outside influences. Suspect Kabul or Tehran behind the unrest.  We received information of a small skirmish in one of the passes south of Tokat where a Chagarzai force was routed by "a well armed" force of  Nandihar and Palai tribesmen.  If that is the case the shipment may have already reached the northern area of the Black Mountains via the Swat Valley as per our estimate of the situation and our fall operations confiscating all weapons from this region. Your information of this southern route could have material move via the Indus up from Attock or skirting along the western bank.  If it hasnt already arrived and comes through Hazara territory east of the Indus we will certainly intercept it.

Respectfully

BG Mc Queen

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #651 on: July 06, 2022, 09:42:28 AM »
Spinwam battle prologue

A cold evil sun is rising at dawn and gives no warm to the frozen characters who are speaking out of the Raj camp, they are two well-known officers that our more loyal followers will recognize immediately:

“Look Andrew, we are again here, where our adventures started, all is the same” said Fullerton pointing towards Spinwam surroundings
“Sir, not really the same, my Sikh Guides company was wiped out at Mir Ali Mirali, now I have a brain new company of muslim guides”

“Guides are guides, no matter if Sikh, Afridis or whatever, they are good enough to give a hard lesson to these ruffians. And we have Richard’s Yorkshire too, all as at the old time”
“Well Sir, we miss Capt Liver, he was pure gold on battlefield. I’m not sure that Capt Hall will replace him without problems, if I may dare Sir…”
“C’mon Andrew tell that all!”

“Well he seems a sort of shirker and what I have heard about his previous performance seems confirm the gossip”
“Nonsense, I’ve personally selected him for this raid and I’m sure he will rise to the occasion, no matter how tough the odds are
“Yes Sir sure sir, I didn’t mean…” LT Best replied nervously
“Oh, it is ok Andrew, it was only a frank talk between two old comrades. and to be fully honest with you …well I just repeated what old Davenport instructed me about this captain, very well introduced in Calcutta, if you know what I mean. Anyway, we do not need his guns to wipe out these bandits with our guides, do we?
“No Sir” LT Best answered smiling and feeling a little relieved “not at all!”

In the meantime, in Spinwam, Wali Khan must deal with Kuki Khel tribes grumbling for his retreat, who left exposed to Fullerton revenge large traits of lands and reconquered villages. And the Kuki Khel warriors are under the leadership of a great warrior: Abdul Haq Khan. Perhaps a stray bullet during next fight could fix many troubles…

Wali had done the only realistically possible strategy: retreat to get support by his father, but now rumours are coming about another defeat by Afridis in Gumatti. That could be honey for Wali’s ears as it meant another defeat for his brother Bajadur, but the same caravans spoke about his brother killing the Ferenghees leader and that due to this fight Sher Khan should retreat north of Shewa and the risk to be cut out by a quick Ferenghees advance seemed more than likely. Anyway, the Afridis Qambar Khel were facing a strong potential enemy: their allies Kuki Khel Afridis.
In order to reaffirm his authority, Wali called a jirga in Spinwam

“Khans, the Mighty Ruler has given us today the opportunity to destroy Anglez and re-establish our power on all north Waziristan. Ferenghees are advancing to join their friends coming from Bannu, that recently won over my brother. But my father Sher Khan is still the preferred by Umra Khan himself to rule these lands! I put on my mule no food and water only for one day because this evening we’ll eat with supplies left by Ferenghees!””

Some grumbling from the Kuki Khel Khans echoed his words
“Now we go and will destroy these fool heretics before they can even see Spinwam huts. We are many, we are mighty, remember Abu Zar! Revenge for him!”
At these words also the Kuki Kher Khans joined Wali Khan in his cries of slunder and ruthless carneficine over the Anglez and the tribesmen march towards the RAJ column. Today it is a good day to die, but even better to give death!

The fight is very important because the winner will assure the control over Spinwam and from there on Shewa. And holding Shewa means being able to spring a trap on the enemies regrouping there: on Sher Khan’s Qambar Khel Afridis if Fully will be triumphant or on Allison’s column if Wali will keep the battlefield.

Sure, defeat for old Fully? Well, not for his guides! As they were described by  Cynthia Forbes: “To be a Guide out there means you are one who can be relied upon for pluck, for being able to endure difficulty and danger, for being able cheerfully to take up any job that may be required, and for readiness to sacrifice yourself for others”
In the following portrait Col Fullerton is giving last instructions before fighting west of Spinwam, by kind courtesy of Pesh Trib editions, picture by Mr Kodak.

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #652 on: July 08, 2022, 12:13:52 PM »
We have ways to make men talk.

In Mogala Capt. Townsend is not a prisoner but a guest.
see link https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131610.285
A guest of the munificent Umra khan

During his stay in the palace of Umra the Capt. Townsend has participated in Polo matches...

matches in which the Great Umra always comes out the winner...

to grant a sort of revenge the Umra tennis team will challenge a team led by the capt. Townsend is composed of skilled elements taken from the prisons of Mogala...

Umra tries to be nice to Townsend, hoping to steal importants military information.... but perhaps due to the blow to the head received in battle Townsend seems a bit "rincitrullito" (dumbo) lol

This is how he remembers the words of his  Grandfather Mohammed Khan...
"We have ways to make men talk"
and the advice to insert bamboo spinters under the nails....

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 01:04:10 PM by Umra Khan »

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #653 on: July 09, 2022, 09:38:12 AM »
Ouch.

I pity Capt. Townsend… and hope relief — in whatever form — finds him soon.
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Rhingyll

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
« Reply #654 on: July 11, 2022, 08:38:42 PM »
General Skobelev is leading his Brigade southward following the Kunar River Valley. His plan is to bypass the British Fort at Chitral and take up a position south of the city after passing through the Lowari Pass. After Skobelev has his position established, it will be up to Perovsky and his Brigade to take the Fort at Chitral. Perovsky is on hold until his recon patrol returns. Skoblev has information, from some local tribesmen he has encountered, that a British Brigade is heading northward in an attempt to relieve the Chitral Fort from a Chitrali siege.

Russian Skobelev Brigade
General Mikhail Skobelev
Colonel Igor Blaramberg
Regiments:

Infantry:
Kanzanski Rifles
Susdal Line
Borodinski Line
East Siberian Rifle Regiment
Semenovski Life Guards

Cavalry:
1st Ural Cossacks
Stavropol (Carcassian Cossacks)

Artillery
1 two gun battery
1 two gun mortar battery
1 Naval Gatling Gun
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 08:48:04 PM by Rhingyll »

Offline Jimmy Punjabi

• Lurker
« Reply #655 on: July 12, 2022, 07:47:03 AM »
Wooowww  :o :o

This is formally a war declaration against the British Government !!!
How will react Her Majesty the Queen Victoria ?
We know that The Queen summoned Her war cabinet and the Prime Minister Robert Gascoyne-Cecil Marquees of Salisbury is sending a formal note of protest  to the Tsar Alexander III,

More news on the next Peshawar Tribune..... if the kind editor wakes up from his slumber !

Offline Umra Khan

• Scientist
« Reply #656 on: July 12, 2022, 09:14:56 AM »
My friendships in the British Secret Service inform me that a brigade of the Indian Army is assembling in Gilgit and going up the Gilgit  river will reach Chitral via Mastuj.

Offline Rhingyll

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
« Reply #657 on: July 15, 2022, 05:40:57 PM »
There is a small force of Russians in Hunza that will move into Gilgit once the Indian Brigade has left the town.

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #658 on: July 19, 2022, 09:36:49 AM »
Muletail in the lands of Zazis

Last Muletail’s episode at following link: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131610.540
“Thou art our tribal symbol,
Thou showest us our departed hope,
Thou art for thy sons an eternal world,
Thy spring shall ne’er fade away,
We shall continue to remain loyal to thee – loyal to thee.
Long live my homeland,
My free Tajikistan village!
And death to all Afridis
And to evil Umra their khan”

“Blast it all, amen. On the double, man” Mulehead said to his friend and they trotted quickly entering in the Zazi land with a strange weird feeling bursting in their breasts.
Which new enemies will be met by Muletail and Mustafà in their adventurous journey returning home? And what is there in the bag given by Turik?

And what is that little dust cloud on the horizon? Not so little really…

But Turik, after few minutes, changed direction and with his Tajiks followed Muletail’s and Mustafà’s steps. He knew that Kismet probably could rally other Afridis bandits and complete his task to kill Muletail, his vicious mind abounds with anger and revenge and is totally incapable of feeling the pleasure of forgiving his enemies. But Turik himself has still a great revenge too; an eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind, but better blind than without retaliation!
Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged; furthermore, it is sweet and not fattening and if Kismet wrong Tajiks, shall Turik not revenge?
Turik’s plan is genially devilish: He was well teached we should forgive our enemies, but he thought: not before they are hanged.
Ghaazi Muletail El Komiss aka Hussein and Abdul Kareem aka Mustafa will be two perfect baits and when Kismet will be attracted, he will be ready to grab him and Turik remembers very well that revenge and retribution are dishes best served cold…

The dusty cloud was closer and closer until it revealed to be created by 6 Zazi horsemen (one Malik and 5 warriors) who approached our two heroes.

“Who are you? Where r u going?”
“We come in peace; we are two Waziri merchants going to Peiwar pass to arrive to Kabul”
The Zazi malik stared them with suspicious eyes, looking at the mules with apparently empty bags.

“We do not like Tajiks or Afridis trespassing in our lands, where are your goods for trading?”
The eyes of the Malik were sparkling “Or you are going to buy goods for your business in Waziristan?”
Muletail with a glimpse understood he was in a trap: if he answered yes it meant they have a lot of gold with them, but otherwise how could them justify the absence of goods?

Mustafà was quicker “We have no gold with us, too dangerous. It is safe with our friends in Peiwar. If you escort us there you will be generously recompensated”

The Malik closed his eyes and then decided: “We’ll escort you there, just to be sure of your direction, an you’ll pay us in Peiwar. I am Zmaray Khan, do not try to fool me if you want survive another day”

And the 6 Zaris with our 2 heroes changed direction entering in a more rocky area; the road has sheer cliff face on one side, and a sheer drop into an area of  deep ravines and chasms, so make sure whoever's rides the horses knows what they're doing, - but the views are like nothing you can imagine.

In the mean time, hidden by some large boulders, Kismet Khan is instructing his warriors, he rallied 9 Afridis and the order is to get the 2 Waziris, alive they will be paid the double. No doubt that this generosity helped to rally the warriors.

“Kismet some horses arriving, probably the two devils, but they are not alone”

“How many are they’”
“8 horses our targets included”

“Hmmpf the two waziris are more cunning than hungry jackals,but Kismet can be smarter than a snake; let us butcher the escort and take them prisoners! Umra can be very generous!” Kismet said laughing, thinking the gold mountains he was going to receive. “Now aim and ready to fire at my order!” cried to his men while the horses entered the last curves before their ambush.

“Stop” Mustafà cried “I have seen a flash behind those rocks!” The long journey and dangerous adventures had strongly raised his sense of danger and he was the first to notice the flash generated for an instant by the sun rays over the barrel of a jezail.

“Someone is waiting for us with not peaceful purpose! That’s a jezail waiting for his prey, fast behind those boulder” Muletail cried and all the warriors run under the protection of the rocks. They unsheathed the tulwars and waited for the imminent attack.
“Folllow me” Kismet ordered, and with his tulwar in one hand and a shield in the other, run down the rocks towards Muletail’s hideout!

Muletail rallied Mustafà, Zmaray Khan and the other Zazi warriors:
“"Da Wazir pa nang me otharhala thoora, Nangyaale da zamane Ghaazi Muletail El Komiss yam"

(I have taken out my sword in the name of Waziri honour, I am Ghaazi Muletail El Komiss the proudest of the world)

But well hidden behind the rocks overlooking Kismet’s ambush boulders, grim eyes are scouting what is happening below…

To be continued
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 09:54:56 AM by giorgio »

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #659 on: July 19, 2022, 06:00:55 PM »
More cunning, betrayal, and bribery on the Frontier. Well done Giorgio!