Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:06:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle Report: Men of Bronze- The Corinthian War II  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Battle Report: Men of Bronze- The Corinthian War II
« on: June 07, 2021, 02:53:25 PM »

The Corinthian War was a conflict between the city-states of Sparta and a coalition of rival states that lasted from 395BC to 387 BC.  The alliance included Thebes, Athens, Argos and Corinth.  The alliance was displeased with Sparta’s aggressive expansionism in Ionian, and Greece.  The majority of the conflict on land revolved around major battles near Thebes and Corinth.

The Battle below is between Sparta and the Corinthian allies.  Many of the battles were recorded by Greek historians, but todays has been lost to the shrouded mists of time.  This was a battle that took place after the Battle of Nemea in 394 BCE.  The Spartans won at Nemea and began to march towards Corinth to try and enter Boetia.  However, Argive Hoplites managed to link up with Corinthian survivors of Nemea to try and block them prior to meeting at the Isthmus of Corinth.

The Forces

Corinthians
2 Drilled Hoplites             
1 Militia Hoplite                 
1 Psiloi                               
1 Archers                           
1 Peltast                               

Spartans
2 Elite Hoplites                 
1 Drilled Hoplites             
2 Psiloi                               

These two lists are the lists straight from the Men of Bronze sample army lists.  In addition, this battle will be a re-match from the first shared Men of Bronze battle report using the same armies.  The major difference this time is that they are all painted miniatures!

Set-up

We use the terrain set-up rules straight from the rulebook.  We are using a 72BW x 48BW where each BW is equal to 1 inch.  Therefore I will be using a 6 x 4 foot board.   

We divided the board into 6 segments and rolled for terrain.  We got the following, and placed them on the board per the rules. 1-3 is the North side where the Corinthians will be.  4-6 is the South side where the Spartans are.     

1. Swamp
2. No terrain
3. Grove of Trees
4. No terrain
5. 2 Level Hill
6. No terrain

The Spartans have an interesting deployment with their Phalanxes on the East side of the hill with their flanks anchored by the edge of the board and the hill itself, and their Psiloi units are on the opposite side of the board, across from the swamp area.   

The Corinthians have their Peltasts in the grove, then their 2 Drilled and Militia Hoplite units in the center, and then the Archers and Psiloi moving towards the swamp.  Their Drilled Phalanx are in formation all ready.   

Mission

This is a pitched battle.  Each side is attempting to collapse the enemy army.  No fancy mission objectives or complications in this battle. 

You can read the full battle report and find out the results at the blog:
https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2021/06/battle-report-men-of-bronze-corinthian.html

For those who own Men of Bronze, Thanks!  Secondly, the first supplement is available on the Wargame Vault called Hercules Abroad.  It includes new lines of battle for areas outside of Greece, Campaign rules for linked games, and a FAQ.  You can find it here:

https://www.wargamevault.com/browse.php?keywords=blood+and+spectacles&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Battle Report: Men of Bronze- The Corinthian War II
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 12:40:20 AM »
Thanks for putting that up!
I recently bought the rules but my mate has them at the moment...in my own quick read through of the rules I must have completely missed that you dice for terrain, a bit similar to DBA, (but not quite the same) that's interesting.
It was good to see examples of how the bidding works, that was very useful.
Deployment. Ah! My Achilles Heel! I lose most of my games through bad deployment at the start. Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid  :-[
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 02:00:54 PM »
Yeah, terrain placement gets overlooked.  It gets wedged between the army lists and the scenarios.   lol

This time, I tried to get too clever for my own good instead of just doing what the ancient Greeks  would have actually done.  It ended up costing me, and it reinforced to me that there was a reason the ancient Greeks did it the way they did!  My opponent's deployment was more traditional, and it worked much better!

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 02:34:42 PM »
Thanks for that, I've got men of Bronze, never played it.
It seems like a good club night game. With us starting to meet up again I think I may need to pick up some figures.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 04:00:09 PM »
Deployment. Ah! My Achilles Heel! I lose most of my games through bad deployment at the start.

'Experience, the name we give our mistakes'
I am far more 'experienced' than you will ever be lol

I am reading through the rules, but it is about a hundred pages!
I do like the inclusion of a QRS, & we will try the rules out before
too long.