Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:14:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu Classic RPG Kickstarter  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
Call of Cthulhu Classic RPG Kickstarter
« on: July 03, 2021, 05:30:24 PM »
Not sure if anybody has flagged this up already, but Chaosium have launched a kickstarted to fund an anniversary edition of the boxed set of the RPG with a shed-load of extra supplements included!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaosium/call-of-cthulhu-classic

For those us having suffered a bout of insanity and swapped their original version for some mediocre D&D modules at the tender age of 14 this is an way back onto the crazy train! (I have 7th edition and its great but nothing beats a bit of nostalgia!)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: Call of Cthulhu Classic RPG Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 06:20:05 PM »
For those us having suffered a bout of insanity and swapped their original version for some mediocre D&D modules at the tender age of 14 this is an way back onto the crazy train! (I have 7th edition and its great but nothing beats a bit of nostalgia!)

I didn't trade my 1st ed copy, but it did disintegrate under use about twenty-five years ago so yeah, certain nostalgia appeal there.  OTOH, like you I do have 7th, and Pulp - and honestly I've used the latter more than any other version at this point.  Even my old high school 1st ed games usually played out more like a gangster movie with fishmen than anything Lovecraft wrote, so Pulp is more my style for Mythos.  :)

Offline Clach Umha

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 06:40:58 PM »
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 07:01:26 AM by Clach Umha »
Getting excited & making jokes about dropping Nepalm on little Asian Children in a Viet' village doesn't make it ok just because 'it's wargaming & not real'. You wanker scum need to look again at the real photographic horror of such chemical weapons. Seriously Disgusting mind set amongst some you.

Offline Clach Umha

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 09:09:05 PM »
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 03:47:43 AM by Clach Umha »

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 07:44:44 AM »
Still have my 3rd edition.

IMO, It's the scenarios, not the ruleset, that you want. The rules are based on the "simulationist" RuneQuest Basic Rules Set (?) system, designed to simulate realistic combat. However, this same system means that, if you fail a roll to find a crucial piece of evidence, then your scenario can hit a dead end (unless you designed it to be fail-proof). Nowadays, there are various more "narrative" scenarios, that focus on telling the story and setting the atmosphere.

Personally, I think you're better off buying the already available Chaosium PDF's through their own website or DriveThruRPG. If you play solo, I think there's an app licensed from Chaosium with CYOA. Chaosium's "Against the..." solo scenarios are *very* good.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline rafm3ic

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 02:26:07 PM »
I am sorry I missed this

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 12:29:12 AM »
Well, if you don't mind PDF's, you can get the classics on DriveThruRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/2/Chaosium/subcategory/74_79/Call-of-Cthulhu-Classic

Noble Knight also has the classics in dead tree form.:
https://www.nobleknight.com/SC/Call-of-Cthulhu

Discussion on various Mythos RPG's:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Lovecraft/comments/7l7gs4/best_lovecraft_tabletop_rpg/

Offline lugiber

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 12:24:17 PM »
I am sorry I missed this
I'm sure you can late pledge if you contact Chaosium via kickstarter. They are very responsive and nice people.

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 10:25:16 PM »
I've got all the original stuff in decent shape, but I opted in anyway for back-ups... and just to show support for the older edition, since I am not so fond of 7e's changes.

However, this same system means that, if you fail a roll to find a crucial piece of evidence, then your scenario can hit a dead end (unless you designed it to be fail-proof).
To be fair, that is an issue with scenario design and nothing to do with the rules. It's the same as a dungeon where progress is blocked by a single secret door the group cannot find.
Just don't write bottlenecks into your scenarios.
Some of the older modules DO have that issue, but it's easy enough to add a few alternative clues... or remove the bottleneck altogether.