Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 07:54:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My musings on apocalyptic terrain: 6/15  (Read 665 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
My musings on apocalyptic terrain: 6/15
« on: June 08, 2021, 04:10:48 PM »
I have a happy little home in the wastelands where I post my apocalyptic gaming, but this is an (almost) entirely different crowd so I thought I'd pitch some stuff up here.

The main bulk of my PA hobby can be found here: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/post_apoc_wargames/

To kick things off, I wanted to talk about the tile system I use for post apoc gaming. This is an adaptation of the tile system I use for my sci-fi gaming for 15mm. For sci-fi the tiles are 1x1' so they are smaller. They also use a "T/L/I" system where roads cross the middle of the board in a T intersection, L-bend, or straight I road. Seen here:

For post apoc I pushed the roads to the edge of the board and only kept the I or L roads which allow for a few different configurations such as an S:

A long L (edge only roads):

Or a Large T:

These tiles are blue foam in 2x2' 1.5" thickness, with foam PVC sidewalks and EVA foam for the roadways (cracks are made with an embossing tool). Road striping is made with pieces of thin card stock cut to width and length before being glued in place. Then all I had to do was paint the raised surface rather than try to stencil or free hand.

The above design helped to free up space for other terrain with larger footprints. My original terrain tile was a single 2x2' tile (blue foam, 1.5" thickness). tended to get a little crowded:

In the above piece, road markings were stenciled on and sidewalks/roads are all created by indenting the blue foam surface.

So I changed over to a two-tile system (for now. More tiles to be added later) with added green space (brown areas for the WIP pictures above) to allow me to also add in some trees or other natural elements in my city.
With terrain added the tiles look like this:

Zoom in, right side:

Zoom in, middle:

Zoom in, left:

I'll toss some more highlights in here from time to time. I hope this stirs a little inspiration in someone as this place has inspired me for a long time.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 05:10:15 PM by CookAndrewB »

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Re: My musings on apocalyptic terrain: 6/8
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 04:24:51 PM »
Very nice!
I was a member of that forum but my posting like my PA gaming just faded away.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 04:30:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing!  The terrain looks great, and very versatile - I can see applications for other gaming settings beyond PA; pretty much anywhere there is a city or similar urban setting, from Frostgrave/Mordheim type skirmish games through to ultra-modern!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 06:49:21 PM »
Nick - I get it. I post most of my stuff there first, even if it isn't post-apoc oriented. I like the people and there is more there in terms of books, movies, etc. It spans outside of just gaming and I appreciate that as an avid reader and movie watcher.

Will - YES!!! In terms of the layout, it is just a nice and versatile approach that is easy enough to bend to any genre or scale. My "ah ha" moment was really about placing the roads at the edges and not right through the middle of the board. It just created so much more room.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 12:42:07 AM »
I was majormike on the forum, I might look at it again.
Was into British PA in 20mm.

Offline War Monkey

• Mad Scientist
    • Silo1313
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 01:19:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing those tiles! I haven't seen those before carried out in that way I will have to take a deep look into that approch. Thanks again.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 04:26:40 PM »
I was majormike on the forum, I might look at it again.
Was into British PA in 20mm.

I currently have a WWIII Twilight 2000 inspired alternate timeline/apocalypse-light project that I'm working on there. Might be of some interest to you.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 05:10:00 PM »
Today I'll share an easy stacked car wall project I did. Materials were blue foam (offcuts that I had laying around), some PVC foam for the bases and car roof, a little epoxy if you like to add some details. I used some tire push molds from a couple of oddball tires I had in my bits box. The beauty of these being that the tires could be pulled from the mold before fully set and I could deform them. 

The blue foam was rough cut, then sanded (outside) to form the body. I then used balled-up foil to create indents in the body panels, and a burnishing tool to mark out door lines, hoods, trunks, etc.

The final product got primed, painted and weathered to represent some crushed car walls.

For a pretty quick and dirty project, I thought it turned out pretty well. There wasn't a lot of need for the cars to look perfect, and so the blue foam structure fit the part quite nicely. I use these for creating walls around raider camps, or maybe a survivor settlement.

You can see the car piles above used for this purpose in a game (top right corner)

In this case, I used them to form a car gate, so they may be a bit hard to see. Hopefully, you can see it well enough.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scientist
Re: My musings on apocalyptic terrain: 6/15
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 09:18:31 PM »
Those blue foam car stacks look very effective! Itís not a material I would have considered for that job!

I did wrecked vehicles using tin foil wrapped around a diecast car to make a rough disposable mould for plaster of Paris casts. It worked alright but in the end Iím not sure that it was any easier or looked any better than the results you got.

Thanks for sharing!

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 07:58:06 PM »
Cookie! You are all over the place! Do enjoy seeing your stuff. What is your muse? Do tellÖ  ;)
I should be painting right now.

Offline War Monkey

• Mad Scientist
    • Silo1313
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 12:35:48 AM »
Okay those stacked cars look great! Do you have any that are not stack, just a single car? Could be nice to have for littering about on both sides of a highway!