Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Moorish Forces at Tangier - Kirke's Lambs  (Read 9333 times)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Re: Moorish Forces at Tangier - Matchlock Musketmen
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2021, 10:58:28 AM »
They'll have to take their turn on the painting table but you never know this one might make it to BLAM 2022.  lol lol
I don't think 2021 will happen, in the moment the dice are not rolling for us... :(
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2021, 07:12:19 PM »
I'm still waiting for confirmation of my request to join their Forum.  :?

Any news on that yet?  Nothing heard from my enquiry (as yet).  I've also PM'd you about the magazine article.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2021, 08:10:08 PM »
Any news on that yet?  Nothing heard from my enquiry (as yet).  I've also PM'd you about the magazine article.

Yes after a slight chase up, I now have access.  I have replied to your PM.  More to follow on what I have gleaned so far later.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Moorish Forces at Tangier - Force Composition
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2021, 10:16:06 PM »
So having done some reading into the subject from the few sources available, I have come to the conclusion that the Moorish forces changed over time.  My understanding is that in the early days of the Garrison (1662-1674) the Moors relied very heavily on their cavalry and close combat infantry armed with scimitar and shield a few bows and almost no firearms.  I may be wrong in this, but no source mentions the Moors using firearms in this period.  If any of you know differently I would be pleased to hear it.

Their tactics were either a charge by cavalry backed up by infantry when fighting more open affairs or more often planned ambushes luring the Garrison out by tempting them with livestock and then springing the trap.  They also used the feigned retreat of small forces to lure the British to follow up and caught them with larger forces.

In that later period of 1680-1684, the Moors seemed to favour siege warfare, primarily to overcome the line of forts the British had established on a ring of low hills beyond the main fortifications.  Here they were assisted by Turkish gunners and sappers/miners and occasionally a renegade Europeans, including some former British soldiers. By defintion they must have had greater access to gunpowder and firearms. Indeed one source mentions that the Moors had been collecting cannonballs fired by the British over a number of years so that when the finally acquired cannons, thay could actually use them.

Their tactics were to dig mines, supported by siege lines surrounding the fort and cutting off reinforcements or retreats.  They still used close combat troops to man the siege lines but now seemed to have greater access to firearms, as witnessed when they held off by fire an attempt by the Royal Navy’s boats to extricate one small garrison by sea.  In addition, the use of cavalry had reduced but was still available, especially in more set piece battles.

Taking these factors into consideration, I intend to base my project in the later period, which gives me a wide variety of forces (including some Spanish Cavalry should I wish) but also a more balanced set up of forces.  The forts also provide a great deal of scenario possibilities, which I will outline in a later post.

Bearing in mind that I have chosen to use these as a large skirmish game, based on The Pikeman’s Lament rules (adapted where necessary) then these are my outline 24 point starter forces.

British
6 Cavalry Elite      6 Pts
12 Veteran Pike      6 Pts
12 Veteran Shot   6 Pts
12 Veteran Shot   6 Pts
Total 6 Cavalry and 36 Foot. I will also have unit of 6 Grenadiers (acting as a Forlorn Hope if the scenario calls for it) to replace one of the above units.

Moorish Forces
6 Elite Cavalry Lance   6 Pts
6 Raw Horse Archers   3 Pts
12 Raw Matchlock   3 Pts
12 Raw Matchlock   3 Pts
12 Warband       3 Pts
12 Warband       3 Pts
12 Warband       3 Pts
Total 12 Cavalry and 60 Infantry

I can adjust these forces to improve or reduce capabilities as required by the scenario.

In the meantime I have been putting paint on the first Moorish Matchlock figures and hope to have the first few finished shortly.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Moorish Forces at Tangier - First painted Matchlocks
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2021, 03:24:03 PM »
Here is my first painted Moorish Matchlock.  8 more figures part finished on the painting table for the first unit.

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2021, 07:50:57 PM »
An excellent topic for a skirmish collection - the first Moors look splendid 👍

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2021, 09:02:52 AM »
They look great Gary,hope this project has jumped up your "to do " list now ! :)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2021, 09:43:58 AM »
Lovely job, the Wargames Atlantic Afghans have a number of heads with the cloth over their faces which might alos be a good fit for these.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2021, 11:02:51 AM »
An excellent topic for a skirmish collection - the first Moors look splendid 👍

Thanks.

They look great Gary,hope this project has jumped up your "to do " list now ! :)

Sadly it has.  ;)  Sadly because the other projects have taken a back seat, but my regular wargaming partner is also enthused by this period so we might be branching out into other late 17th century conflicts. Thanks for the positive comments.

Lovely job, the Wargames Atlantic Afghans have a number of heads with the cloth over their faces which might alos be a good fit for these.

Thanks and also for the suggestions.  I have a sprue of the WA Afghans but will not be using many of their bodies as they are too specifically the wrong period.  However I shall look to use the other parts of the sprue and will investigate the heads.  I plan to use a mix of the GB Arabs and Perry Afghans for most of the foot with a few metals to give a little more variety, such as some of the Artizan figures from their March or Die range.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2021, 12:20:50 PM »
Jolly Nice brushwork there Gary.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2021, 05:18:40 PM »
These look great! Very interesting niche period between larger ones. Looking forward to seeing more!

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2021, 06:52:19 PM »
Jolly Nice brushwork there Gary.

Thanks Mark.

These look great! Very interesting niche period between larger ones. Looking forward to seeing more!

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Thanks. Niche period is exactly that but I am going to expand my British force later on for the Glorious Revolution and the 9 Years War periods.  And I can always re-purpose my Moors for the 1st Afghan War.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2021, 07:40:15 PM »
PM me if you decide you like the Wargames Atlantic heads with covered faces, I wont be using those particular ones.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Moorish Forces at Tangier - Next batch
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2021, 04:47:39 PM »
PM me if you decide you like the Wargames Atlantic heads with covered faces, I wont be using those particular ones.

Thanks very much.

Next batch of Moor with Matchlocks.

Just 4 more to go for my first unit.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Moorish Forces at Tangier - Next batch
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2021, 06:28:04 AM »
Looking good!