Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:23:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Roman Conquests The Danube Frontier - Dr Michael Schmitz  (Read 1054 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Roman Conquests The Danube Frontier - Dr Michael Schmitz
« on: December 23, 2021, 12:28:53 PM »
I've just finished some pre-Xmas reading and the second title from the Roman Conquests series of books published by Pen & Sword.

If you would like to see my thoughts after reading this book then just follow the link to JJ's

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2021/12/roman-conquests-danube-frontier-dr.html

JJ
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Roman Conquests The Danube Frontier - Dr Michael Schmitz
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 06:15:08 PM »
Carojon, thanks for a very balanced and informative review.  I bought most of of this series many years ago and missed the release of this one. I find them good "primers" for the period/theatre in question, but rather short in page  count.  I have one question as I have the Oltan book. Does the Pen and Sword volume give one more information than that excellent volume?

Thanks. 

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 09:38:03 AM »
SJWi, thank you.
If you have Radu Oltean’s book you know exactly what I was saying in my review, but the two books in my opinion are set up to do different jobs which is why I felt happy to have the two.

As you say the series from Pen & Sword are very good ‘primers’ and on reading just two of their titles I would entirely agree, but in comparison to a book like Oltean’s, which I would describe as a ‘deep dive’ into the Dacian Wars specifically, Schmitz’s book is broader in its scope looking at the wider Roman campaigns fought prior to and after the Dacian Wars and Trajan’s final victory, and I think gives a solid context for why Rome, Trajan and as the book lays out, Marcus Aurelius, felt the investment in blood and treasure was so worthwhile in the wider region.

With regard to the latter, I am interested in broadening my wargame collection to enable me to play scenarios from the Marcommanic Wars and I found chapter 10 covering those wars particularly useful.

So I hope this explains my comment about partially adding to my knowledge of the Romano-Dacian conflict in that I feel I have a more rounded appreciation for the wider context of Roman involvement on this frontier and why I’m happy to have and to have read this book.

I hope that answers your question and have a great Xmas

JJ

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 01:05:26 PM »
JJ, yes it answers my question perfectly. I will probably give it a shot, although when it hits my "to read" list is another  matter. I suspect a rathe large book on 14/15th century Burgundy might arrive tomorrow which will take some reading!