Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:18:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685048
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Iron Rain Fell - Painting Roman Republican Legionaries  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
Re: Iron Rain Fell - Painting Roman Republican Legionaries
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2021, 10:01:17 PM »
I know also made a 360 turntable clip featuring the Romans and Iberians.

The turntable is home-made using a fidget spinner and some MDF. Editing done in Davinci Resolve.

https://youtu.be/wSU_arKovQE

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2021, 12:44:30 AM »
Peithetairos
Mate those figures are Wonderfull , well done , just painted the right colours..
Cheers

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
Re: Vae victis - Republican Roman Hastatus/Princeps by Agema Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2021, 07:31:32 AM »

It was pointed out to me that the shield would need to touch the greave or be stabilised by the arm, or it would spin/move when hit. Accordingly one could easily be injured by ones own shield. The hand position might limit my options, however.
Position here is very good, I used to do historic combat and there is nothing wrong with the pose. For the model maybe cut and rotate the gripping hand to match the angle of the shield. What it looks like is that he is punching out with his shield to put his enemy off balance while readying a thrust. There is a fair bit of strength in the shield at this angle and consider it's moving forwards too. Elongated centre grip shields are excellent for striking with and you see it in period art including gladiator depictions.

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2021, 09:42:34 AM »
Peithetairos
Mate those figures are Wonderfull , well done , just painted the right colours..
Cheers

Thank you kindly! I got a bit distracted with other projects, but really have to go back and finish the remaining Romans and Carthaginians.

Position here is very good, I used to do historic combat and there is nothing wrong with the pose. For the model maybe cut and rotate the gripping hand to match the angle of the shield. What it looks like is that he is punching out with his shield to put his enemy off balance while readying a thrust. There is a fair bit of strength in the shield at this angle and consider it's moving forwards too. Elongated centre grip shields are excellent for striking with and you see it in period art including gladiator depictions.

Thank you for the insight. Changing the position of the shield helped a lot to make it more convincing. I do have a second one of these guys, so maybe I can implement your suggestion and change the hand position slightly. Greg from Agema told me the idea was indeed that he uses his shield to punch his opponent and then strike with the gladius.