Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:20:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Skirmish Co-Op/Solo Options..? There's a few, but which one?  (Read 4360 times)

Offline mkultra99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
Has anyone played all of the current crop of Fantasy co-op solo rules? Rangers of Shadow Deep, Sellswords&Spell slingers, Elder Scrolls, Five Leagues from the Borderlands.. I'm sure there are others. Which do you find most agreeable? Im looking for something that is low model count, can do dungeon delving, has campaign, and can be played with or without a GM.

Online Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Re: Fantasy Skirmish Co-Op/Solo Options..? There's a few, but which one?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 06:04:36 PM »
You can play my little self-pubbed NIGHTWATCH in a dungeon. It has a simple campaign system, some loot and artifacts, but it's really a monster hunt.

PDF: https://www.wargamevault.com/product/323202/Nightwatch-Terror-and-Treasure-in-the-Dark-Corners-of-the-World

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 02:56:06 PM »
You can play my little self-pubbed NIGHTWATCH in a dungeon. It has a simple campaign system, some loot and artifacts, but it's really a monster hunt.

Does it have to be a dungeon crawl?  I have painted up the heraldic knight set from Reaper and wanted to use some beastmen in a forest setting.

Online Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 11:14:39 PM »
You can play Nightwatch in any terrain. We're usually killing monsters outdoors. But I've broken out the modular dungeon tiles on a number of occasions and the game works fine.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 11:21:40 PM »
I've played a bit of Rangers, which is a great game and highly recommended. I've got The Elder Scrolls bit im still painting the miniatures and haven't given it a go yet. It looks interesting, but depends if you like loads of gubbins. Counters, individual card decks etc. There are a lot of loving parts.

I recently picked up Forbidden Psalm which is a Mork Borg themed  game, a little unusual but seems interesting. I've just knocked together some miniatures for it from my bits box so hopefully will try that soon. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/351472

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 04:25:06 PM »
We have played a game or two (I think tried first scenario twice) of Sellswords and Spellslingers.  In theory I like this game and the innovative way it has enemies act on failures of PCs.  I generally like systems that provide events and story and unexpected, but I felt SS & SS was too random.  And it is based on different fantasy tropes than I enjoy, like looting enemy bodies.

We have played Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms in delve mode.  This is way more complex than the games I usually like, but I really do like some of the detail it provides, like special effects for some rolls, built into dice and cards for specific figures.  I'm sure we neglect parts of the rules frequently.  but the books are so poorly organized that looking up stuff is difficult.  I think almost all the game could be preserved as a more accessible game with better organization, but I think it could lose some weight as well, like having simpler block rules.

I have the demo game for Lasting Tales, which is by the same designer as ES: CtA.  It might bring back some of the details, though the demo version doesn't add that much.  I have a battle report here:
https://andyshobby.wordpress.com/2021/04/12/lasting-tales-battle/

We have Rangers of Shadow Deep, but have not tried it yet.

One Page Rules is working on a game called Sellswords.  I like some aspects of it, but have suggested they change the name.  This and ES both uses lower "hit points" than the other two, and I'd rather do that than have a bunch that get whittled down by variable damage.

andy

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 10:24:02 PM »
I've played Rangers of Shadow Deep and Sellswords and Spellslingers.

I started with SS&SS last year and it was my first try at solo and co-op style gaming, apart from board games. It was fantastic and although my party got slaughtered in the first game (not uncommon), I was hooked. The excitement and tension of the games is very good, and I have had very few games where it hasn't come down to the wire. My criticism is that there's no narrative or campaign/backstory, so you are left to create your own. Also the scenarios in the book are a bit hack and slash, and there are a lot of skills defined in the book, which there is very little point in buying. Thats where a well designed campaign could help and the recently released "Last stand at Mistham" helps.

We started playing Rangers of Shadow Deep this year and I think the backstory and the campaign ideas that have gone into RoSD are its strengths, but I find the game a bit dull. The monster actions is vague and the game is pretty predictable (no monsters turning up at your back or leaping out to ambush an unsuspecting party member). For other gamers this may be a positive aspect, but I like games with some unpredictable elements and I'm a big fan of the Ganesha games in general.

Maybe if I'd started with RoSD first I would have a different opinion, and I really want to like RoSD, but we are struggling to complete the first campaign. We are hoping that the game will get tougher and more exciting so I will continue on with both campaigns in the main book.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 11:44:56 PM »
I've played Rangers of Shadow Deep and Sellswords and Spellslingers.

I started with SS&SS last year and it was my first try at solo and co-op style gaming, apart from board games. It was fantastic and although my party got slaughtered in the first game (not uncommon), I was hooked. The excitement and tension of the games is very good, and I have had very few games where it hasn't come down to the wire. My criticism is that there's no narrative or campaign/backstory, so you are left to create your own. Also the scenarios in the book are a bit hack and slash, and there are a lot of skills defined in the book, which there is very little point in buying. Thats where a well designed campaign could help and the recently released "Last stand at Mistham" helps.

We started playing Rangers of Shadow Deep this year and I think the backstory and the campaign ideas that have gone into RoSD are its strengths, but I find the game a bit dull. The monster actions is vague and the game is pretty predictable (no monsters turning up at your back or leaping out to ambush an unsuspecting party member). For other gamers this may be a positive aspect, but I like games with some unpredictable elements and I'm a big fan of the Ganesha games in general.

Maybe if I'd started with RoSD first I would have a different opinion, and I really want to like RoSD, but we are struggling to complete the first campaign. We are hoping that the game will get tougher and more exciting so I will continue on with both campaigns in the main book.
Use the Campaign and Scenarios from RoSD with the SS&SS Rules.  That is what I intend.  I'm not certain yet exactly what rule set I will use but the Scenarios from one should be relatively easy to plug into another.

I just picked up Five Leagues From the Border and the Campaign generator in it is pretty awesome.  I intend to use it with whatever rule set I settle on in addition to scenarios from RoSD, Nightwatch, Frostgrave, Mordheim, etc.  Pretty much anything I can get my hands on I can adapt.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 11:54:59 PM »
Use the Campaign and Scenarios from RoSD with the SS&SS Rules.  That is what I intend.  I'm not certain yet exactly what rule set I will use but the Scenarios from one should be relatively easy to plug into another.

Yes we had the same idea! Now we have played a bit of both it will be easy to adapt. The event cards in SS&SS can easily replace the playing cards used in RoSD.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 12:46:02 AM »
I have at least 40 hours of Five Leagues from the Borderlands play under my belt.  IMNERHO, you can't go wrong with it.  5L is much more like Black Company from the grunt's POV than Sellswords or Rangers, which tend to be very high fantasy to me.

A big thing for me is: 5L has a built-n campaign with procedurally generated scenarios.  The big weakness for me with Rangers and Sellswords is that you have to write and balance and test a scenario if you ever want to play something not in the book.

For me, the Frostgrave engine is something I play with friends - even Solo Frostgrave feels wrong, like I'm missing an opponent.  Rangers hits that for me too.

Sellswords excells at the Koboldmaggeddon type scenarios however, where it's endless hordes of kobolds/goblins/orcs.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Lord Borjado

• Librarian
  • Nobody expects Spanish Inquisition
    • 18º de Port Belisario
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 10:53:46 PM »
I read good reviews about Thud & Plunder, you could try this ruleset

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 03:54:20 PM »
The big weakness for me with Rangers and Sellswords is that you have to write and balance and test a scenario if you ever want to play something not in the book.

Strangely for me, that's the strength of Sellswords. I'm not tied to someone else's world view and can create my own. I've played D&D style high fantasy, Middle Earth and Victorian Sci-Fi based campaigns.

After playing through the scenarios in the main rules, I've found creating reasonably balanced scenarios comes easily enough. Besides with the wrong die rolls/cards the most balanced scenario can go very one-sided quite quickly!

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 10:42:36 PM »
Two Hour Wargames has just released a specifically solo fantasy skirmish game also playable co-op or vs opponent and with a immersive campaign and instant action generic scenarios using their latest rules system.
Shop: https://www.twohourwargames.com/waheadinta.html

A good AAR in a dungeon: https://atomicfloozy.com/2021/06/15/what-1st-encounter-part-4-the-game/

From their website:
Adventure Awaits!

Warrior Heroes – Adventures in Talomir is a complete stand-alone fantasy immersion game. Players take on the role of an Adventurer be it Warrior, Thief, Magic User or more – you choose.

Through your decisions and exploits you will increase in abilities, fame, and fortune. Warrior Heroes – Adventures in Talomir is all about the Story, YOUR Story! It rewards you when you are successful and punishes you when you fail.

Combat is swift, deadly, and easily handled as is magic. We’ve done everything to make the game easy to play yet still challenging. Bookkeeping has been reduced to a minimum with the goal of getting players playing as quickly and as often as possible.

Added to this is a simple to use Campaign System that ties your adventures together that gives the who, what, and why of your games. Within minutes the mechanics will generate a complete adventure down to the motivation and actions of the enemy forces and all without a Games Master.

In Warrior Heroes – Adventures in Talomir everyone plays; you can play solo, cooperatively against the game, or competitively, head to head.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 10:56:03 PM »
I've pledged hard for Lasting tales.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/lasting-tales-a-fantasy-miniatures-game

There's free demo rules for you to try. It's miniature agnostic, but they also offer a good deal on mini's.
You could still get in for a late pledge if you're patient.
It offers adventures in dungeon, town and wildernis settings, a levelling and campaign system and 5 race and 10 classes for now.

It's not to complicated, but offers enough dept and decisions. I like the demo rules  lot and can't wait what they'll make of it.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'