Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:13:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cheap and Easy Streams and Ponds  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Cheap and Easy Streams and Ponds
« on: June 09, 2021, 11:10:04 PM »
I made some streams using vinyl floor tiles and brown coloured caulk. They came out looking pretty nice and I now have about 12' or streams that can be added to my existing vinyl tile rivers. These are really quick and easy to make and they look pretty nice.

There's more detailed info on my blog at: http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com/2021/06/row-row-row-your-boat.html

Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Cheap and Easy Streams and Ponds
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 02:05:02 PM »
They do look good!

Most people make the mistake of tinting their rivers and streams the brightest azure blue, which I always find very unconvincing. In fact, aside from some ocean scenic views when on vacation, I've never seen surface water coloured (brightly) blue. And that one time the water was white, at a Turkish thermal bath site does not count :D

Your brown streams however, look spot on! Yes, I know how that sounds in a single scentence, but still; great work lol
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 07:03:47 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 06:59:50 PM »
Those look very nice! Now I know what to do with those leftover tiles I have in the basement! Hello, weekend project!!!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 07:02:38 PM »
Effective. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 11:34:25 AM »
they've come out a treat.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 04:07:27 AM »
Thanks for the positive comments folks.

Most people make the mistake of tinting their rivers and streams the brightest azure blue, which I always find very unconvincing. In fact, aside from some ocean scenic views when on vacation, I've never seen surface water coloured (brightly) blue. And that one time the water was white, at a Turkish thermal bath site does not count :D

Your brown streams however, look spot on! Yes, I know how that sounds in a single scentence, but still; great work lol

Also, the more glossy the surface the better it reflects other colours and light in the room.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 05:20:30 PM »
Great work!

Vinyl flooring is the best basing material.

I get it for 80 cents for a 12x12, 2 bucks for 8x36
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 09:06:53 PM »
They look good.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 07:17:31 AM »
Great idea, the built-in surface effect is an enormous time saver! From now on, I will look out for such vinyl tiles.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 08:34:14 AM »
I made streams years ago using a suggestion in the original Fire & Fury rulebook. Thin sheets of acrylic (thin enough to cut with scissors), cut with rounded ends, then painted on the underside with greens & browns. You overlap these to make streams; very simple and easy to do and looks good on the table.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 04:22:46 PM »
I made streams years ago using a suggestion in the original Fire & Fury rulebook. Thin sheets of acrylic (thin enough to cut with scissors), cut with rounded ends, then painted on the underside with greens & browns. You overlap these to make streams; very simple and easy to do and looks good on the table.

A better option for that kind of thing is to look for the overhead projector transparency sheets/film/paper. Get the clear ones, because they work quite well and you can run them through a color printer rather than using paint. Just grab a heavy duty folder to store the pieces in and keep them from getting messed up between uses...and they work rather well up slopes and conforming to terrain.

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 11:46:38 AM »
A better option for that kind of thing is to look for the overhead projector transparency sheets/film/paper. Get the clear ones, because they work quite well and you can run them through a color printer rather than using paint. Just grab a heavy duty folder to store the pieces in and keep them from getting messed up between uses...and they work rather well up slopes and conforming to terrain.

Is overhead transparency even a thing these days?

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 04:57:07 AM »
Is overhead transparency even a thing these days?

Yeah, overhead projectors are still a thing.

A lot of it depends upon the specifics of the situation...schools tend to be the largest users now, mainly for classes that don't want to deal with the higher tech side of things. Or older buildings where there still isn't much internet/connection options. A couple buildings where I work tend to use them for meetings because they don't want to deal with the mess of getting wifi put in for several sections where you can't get signals through the walls