Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:11:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Terrain everyone should have: Chain-Link Fence.  (Read 1630 times)

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
Terrain everyone should have: Chain-Link Fence.
« on: June 11, 2021, 12:34:07 AM »
Good afternoon all.    Back again with another brief article.   This time going over a terrain set every post-apocalyptic or modern-day game should have:  A chain-link fence set for those secret and not-so-secret facilities.

I have ten one-foot sections.   1 of these is a large rolling-gate and another is a pedestrian swing-gate.

I used thin clear plastic for the bases.  For the posts, I used 2-inch roofing nails because their heads (flipped around, their bases) are very flat and don't stand up a lot.   This gives them a good deal of stability.    I ground off the points for looks and safety.   I painted them and glued them onto the base with some industrial-strength super glue (Bob Smith Industries MAXI-CURE).   The chain link is standard window or door screen, gotten cheaply at your local hardware store, cut at a 45 degree angle to get the correct look.   I hid the nail "bases" with a bit of GW Agrellan Earth but just about any ground product will do.    The barbed-wire strands are the Gale Force Nine wire, although once again just about any brand will do.   Photo-etched razor wire would be even better if you want to get fancy and cut your fingers up.   Yeah, it really is that sharp.  I had to scratch-build the rolling gate with stiff wire and it got the same treatment.   Finished it off with some printed paper signs that I got from the internet and a few grass tufts, because these fences attract weeds like fire hydrants attract dogs.

You should have a set too.   Some options:

Base material could be any flat item, though make sure it's sturdy and won't warp.

You could use embroidery plastic mesh such as this type here:  https://www.amazon.com/Pllieay-Plastic-Embroidery-Crafting-Projects/dp/B0824TQ3RM/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=embroidery+plastic&qid=1623371193&sr=8-4  but I would recommend getting them from your local craft store because Amazon gets enough money.   Buy locally and your locals get work!    You can even get these in different colors, including a reddish-brown (rust) or dark gray (metal).    These can be cut at a 45 degree angle or left straight for an even-beefier security fence.

Taller fence?   Bigger nails!   Once you get too tall though, the things will tip over so you'll need a wider base.   And roofing nails only come in shorter lengths typically.

Need Signs?   Haunt the net.   Look for military facility signs, old no trespassing signs, lurid advertisements, whatever you want.

You can now have entire sections of your board controlled.   Be sure to develop rules to allow jumping over or breaching a fence, because you know your players are gonna try it.

Have fun!

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:51:27 AM by KD47 »
For former content of mine, search my former user ID kalebdaark:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4831

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Terrain everyone should have: Chain-Link Fence.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 02:29:34 AM »
Those look convincing! I really like your gates.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 02:54:47 AM »
Great tutorial. How did you attach the mesh to the nails? Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Hitman
😎
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 03:01:51 AM »
The large gate looks particularly good, well done!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 12:46:43 AM »
Attaching the mesh to the nails:  put a thin line of super glue on the facing surface.    Lay the fence section on it's side, super glue line facing up.     Carefully lay the mesh onto the fence section, manipulate it into place if needed, then let it dry.    Try not to handle it too much so you don't get super glue all over the mesh.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 12:53:56 AM »
Thanks KD47. I think I might have to give it a try. By the way what did you use for the wheels on the gate? Thanks again in advance.
Regards,
Hitman
😎

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 11:44:35 AM »
very cool

certainly on my to do list

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 12:11:56 AM »
The gate:  once again, stiff wire glued together and painted.   So what is stiff wire in this case?   Brass wire,  wire from larger paper clips,  coat hanger wire, all are sturdy enough for this purpose.  Even thicker galvanized fence wire would work.   Check the stiffness at the hardware store before you buy.   Mine was glued together with industrial super-glue (Bob Smith MAXI CURE) and then reinforced in places with some epoxy.   Then painted.

The wheels were globs of green putty squished from the top, popped off of the plastic when they dried and glued into place.   You could also use "proper" model wheels from old aircraft landing gears,  unused hot-wheels wheels or what have you.  As long as they're the right size.