Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:50:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689838
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CoC - Winter Storm campaign (scenario 14, updated 24 Sept)  (Read 7943 times)

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
CoC - Winter Storm campaign (scenario 14, updated 24 Sept)
« on: June 13, 2021, 12:43:00 PM »
Played the third scenario of the Winter Storm campaign: The defense of Pokhlebin.
The Soviets must attack the German held village of Pokhlebin and would need to cross open ground.

I read the posts by TacticalPainter on the Bloody Bucket campaign and was a bit worried on how to cross the open ground with the Soviets. When rolling for who takes which side, I wound up with the Germans however so I now just needed to worry about stopping the Soviets.

From TacticalPainter's posts I also learned not to deploy to quickly when defending. This worked but my decision to deploy the senior leader before the rest of the platoon had been deployed almost backfired because of a fast flanking move by the Soviets, annihilating a German team in close combat.

More on my blog: https://toomuchterrain.blogspot.com/2021/06/the-defense-of-pokhlebin.html

T.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 01:20:14 PM by Sgt_T »

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
Re: CoC - Winter Storm campaign
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 03:08:53 PM »
Great stuff Sgt_T. Winter Storm was our first campaign we ‘intended’ to play when it came out but my opponents lack of sufficient Russians put it on hold and then he got distracted by other things  :) (a common tale in gaming). I’m now just doing everything myself with the intent to run it with other friends at my local club so thank you for the inspiration/motivation.

BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 04:22:04 PM »
Interesting report.
Has anyone successfully attacked across open ground
under CofC ?
If yes, how?
Smoke?  Luck? Poor defender?  ??????

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 11:04:34 PM »
Has.been if my experiences of trying it in CoC are anything to go by its about as miserable as reports would suggest attempting the real thing is - so maybe a point in CoCs favour in terms of modelling the situation well. Maybe this should be my next game/project of a few repeated tests trying to cross open ground successfully, actually it’ll be suitable for solo as the defenders are pretty static. I think it’ll be a situation where you need everything in your favour, a big bucket of luck, as many CoC dice as possible and the wind behind you.

Sgt_T having read your other posts on WInter Storm I seem to remember the sheer number of buildings needed in the second scenario was another factor that slowed/stopped us getting too far. I like your solution for re-sizing the playing area (especially as we play in 15mm) that may be the way to get it to the tabletop for us.

Keep up the good work,
BALM

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 10:57:11 AM »
Thanks BALM. I think you are correct, it would have been
very costly in real life. Nice idea to try it 'Solo', maybe even
as a Co-operative game. Several players, each with a squad
or two, against a 'Plumpire' in charge of the defenders.
Might use that idea for when I (ever) get into Indo-China.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 01:45:22 PM »
I know a tank can’t move off the line in the phase in which it arrives, but if you are trying to get over open ground, maybe try getting it moving forward as quickly as possible, then get your infantry behind it.  It’s a useful shield and if it gets stopped in its tracks, it will still afford cover and block lines of sight- all useful if you are trudging infantry over.

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 03:11:51 PM »
Thanks people.

Indeed. The "moving hard cover" was on my mind too when I went over the options.
Another one would be deploying smoke (if your force is equipped with it).
You can of course reduce the effectiveness of incoming fire by inflicting shock. But this doesn't work when your opponent bides his time and does not deploy until you try to cross the open ground.
Getting your troops in position and waiting for a double 6 and at least one 3 or 2 on your command roll is the next best thing. Being able to move twice before your opponent can react increases your chance of getting across the open ground. Just don't roll low for movement! And make sure your opponent does not have a full chain of command dice available for interrupts. Having a full chain of command dice yourself also helps to interrupt units trying to fire at your troops and giving them an extra move (although you cannot interrupt an interrupt).

T.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 09:54:39 PM »
I know it's not the most popular choice, but unless the Soviets got wildly different national characteristics in Winter Storm (I got the pdf, but haven't read it in ages), the preliminary bombardment may be an attractive choice of support. Even without the Soviet national characteristic it once ruined a game for me. :D A bit luck-dependant, but when it works, it's very nice.

Wouldn't quite know how to deploy enough smoke as a Soviet player to get across, but maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway, very nice battle report! Concise, yet flavourful. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to get a game of CoC on the table again. :)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 02:24:06 AM »
I have followed a number of games posted here about crossing open ground.
The problem is I see it is a flat gaming table.
Real life terrain is not like that.
The way I have dead spots and dips in the ground is put 1/2 to 1 inch sloped styrofoam under my gaming mat.
If figures are on the flat behind the styrofoam, they can't be seen.
If standing on the slope and half or less can be seen, then they get a cover modifier.
Over half, the are out in the open.
Works great for me, cheap and easy to do.

Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 09:30:20 AM »
Tactical movement, covering fire, smoke, overwatch. As per real life. Still dicey.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 12:36:18 PM »
The problem is I see it is a flat gaming table.
Real life terrain is not like that.

Agreed. To be honest: the scenario description does state that the open terrain is actually undulating ground. In CoC, troops benefit from light cover when they assume a "tactical stance", so they could move cautiously across (almost) open ground by making the most of the dead spots and dips in the ground.

T.

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 12:45:38 PM »
We played scenario 4 of the campaign: The road to Majorski.
The Germans were apparently using their Blitzkrieg drug because they dealt the Soviets a series of successive blows from which they couldn't recover.

The end came swift when the Soviet Leytenant was driven off table towards a, most likely, fatefull end at the hands of a Commissar.

The Soviet Maxim MMG and T34 never managed to fire a shot during the entire game.

More on my Blog: https://toomuchterrain.blogspot.com/2021/07/the-road-to-majorksi.html

T.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 01:13:59 PM »
Excellent battle.
Went to your blog and read all the AARs
Fun reading, interesting campaign.
Look forward to reading more.

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 02:34:15 PM »
Thanks Marine!
More will follow. We intend to play all 22 scenarios. Probably with a few other games in between to take a break from all the snow covered steppe and have some games with more color  :).

T.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 03:14:48 PM »
You should have plenty of red blotches dotted about!  ;)