Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:02:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some conversions for Italian Condotta  (Read 922 times)

Offline magyar

• Bookworm
Some conversions for Italian Condotta
« on: January 06, 2022, 12:35:33 PM »
Coleagues,
This site has long been a source of inspiration for me, and it seems now is the time to share some recent work.
Below are some conversions for my Italian Condotta, with excellent Perry ACW offerings as the basis.
Hope you like it.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Some conversions for Italian Condotta
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 07:42:36 PM »
Very nice!

You say they used the ACW as a base.... is that the whole body/leg part? I'd be very interested in hearing what you did, and seeing more pics!

I can see the horses are converted too... The horse head on the second one, is that taken straight from the ACW cavalry kit, and is it an easy fit on the WOTR horse? If so, I better get me a few....

By the way, if you post this in the Medieval or Renaissance boards, it might get noticed by a few more interested members.

Offline magyar

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 08:16:57 PM »
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your comments. In fact, I was not sure where to post…  Indeed, I will re-post at the Medieval board.

Yes, the horses are converted. The whole reason for buying the ACW set was the horses  :) . Now, the head is a pretty good and easy fit once you cut the base of the horse neck flush and glue it to the Perry horse body.   

But I decided to recycle the riders, too. Mostly redoing the riding boots with needle files and X-Acto knife – defining stirrups and spurs and adding some GS. More GS for chainmail and sleeves. For a couple of the riders I used torsos from the HYW set. And, obviously, Perry heads, leftower hands with spears and gear from Perry’s Light Cavalry.

By the way, many my conversions were prompted by your excellent minis!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 08:25:28 PM by magyar »

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 09:06:14 PM »
Oh well I'm happy to have provided some inspiration!

I'm always trying to find ways to get more variety into horses, and have wondered in the past if any of the Perry 19th century plastics could be used. I've found some close-up pics of the ACW set, and I see the heads come attached to the bodies, but look like they could be easily sliced off? The reigns don't seem too out-of-period for the 15th century as far as I'm aware.

Looks to me like all the many Napoleonic plastic horses would take far too much de-cluttering to put them in the 15th century, but the ACW ones have less 'baggage' around the saddle.... could be carefully removed and simpler saddles rebuilt with green stuff?

Funnily enough I'm right now in the process of a big cavalry expansion / re-organising / re-basing project, and this would be just the right time to try out a few plastic horse conversions... I might buy a single sprue from ebay and see what can be done! Thanks for returning the inspiration!

Offline magyar

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 09:32:00 PM »
Exactly the route I'm taking!

Too much hassle with the Napoleonic range, while ACW ones are quite versatile, and do add variety, especially if you need standing horses and not galloping madly! I plan to use such conversions for command stands.

Oh, and I've moved the thread!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 08:41:53 AM by magyar »

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 10:04:11 PM »
Yep, that looks like something I can do... To ebay I go!

I see the ACW sprue has four pairs of halves - are they all interchangeable? And are some of them designed for standing/walking poses?

Offline magyar

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 06:40:42 AM »
The horse parts are designed just like those for Perry's medieval sets and yes, they are interchangeable. Standing/walking poses can easily be obtained.