Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686448
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Punic Wars Revival!  (Read 1776 times)

Online bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
Re: Punic Wars Revival!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 11:15:06 AM »
Looking good James! I remember them.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 06:40:39 PM »
Nice write up on the blog.  Can you give us an idea of how you got the manipluar sytem to work in the rules?

Thank you. 

I didn’t do anything very special, but because my rules have very simple but clearly-defined command mechanisms and zones of control, I gave the Roman units the ability to simply exchange positions with the relevant unit behind them.  Nothing groundbreaking, but it worked.  The triarii also had a special rule that meant that their commander forfeited Reputation  (morale basically) if that unit entered combat before the hastati or principes, thus encouraging the latter to do the bulk of the scrapping.

I will not claim to any kind of expert on the manipular system, and as several have said, we don’t really know how it worked.  For a mid-size battle like this, as long as the Romans have some way of reinforcing units in the front line, I’m happy.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 07:31:41 PM »
Thank you. 

I didn’t do anything very special, but because my rules have very simple but clearly-defined command mechanisms and zones of control, I gave the Roman units the ability to simply exchange positions with the relevant unit behind them.  Nothing groundbreaking, but it worked.  The triarii also had a special rule that meant that their commander forfeited Reputation  (morale basically) if that unit entered combat before the hastati or principes, thus encouraging the latter to do the bulk of the scrapping.

I will not claim to any kind of expert on the manipular system, and as several have said, we don’t really know how it worked.  For a mid-size battle like this, as long as the Romans have some way of reinforcing units in the front line, I’m happy.

That's pretty much how we managed it in Hail Caesar with a local rule that a unit in contact could retire through its support and allow the supporting unit to take up the fight.  The only consideration we have not yet fully worked through is if they are able to use their pilum in the subsequent clash.  If they do it can sometime weight the combat in their favour but at the same time the enemy are gaining the follow up advantage so it should cancel it out.