Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Reed green panzer uniform  (Read 1318 times)

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
Reed green panzer uniform
« on: June 14, 2021, 04:30:21 PM »
Im painting up a Panther for Normandy and I am bit confused with the crew colours. Panzer uniforms seem to come in Black and Reed Green. Is the Reed Green uniform a summer option of some kind or specific to a certain group(tanks/sp guns etc)?
 I can find pictures of Stugs and Panther crews wearing both Reed green and black which is very confusing.

Any help would appreciated,thanks.

Offline 7dot62mm

• Bookworm
Re: Reed green panzer uniform
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 08:08:22 PM »
For Heer, basically green is for assault artillery units (they're artillery, remember) and black is for Panzer crews. But by 1944 the supply situation is getting difficult and new camo uniforms are appearing so we do see all kinds of uniforms being worn.

For Normandy you could paint your Panther crew in green uniforms but black headgear. Add a few black jackets for the veterans. And someone with a green jacket and black trousers for variety. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 08:19:56 PM by 7dot62mm »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 10:29:47 PM »
Assault gun crews wore them, too, as they were technically considered "assault artillery".

And don't forget the Panzer Lehr division.  It seem lots of them used that reed green uniform with the short jacket - infantry, tankers, artillery, the whole lot...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 07:36:20 AM »
Reed green fatigue uniform were often used by panzer crews too.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 07:54:49 AM »
Thanks all. I think I will go for a mixed look of old and new uniform. So a mixture of black and reed green. There also seems to be a brownish looking fatigue colour as well(looks like a jump suit?). Also a few black outfits with reed green under shirts.
 I take it the camo look was more SS ?

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 10:41:11 AM »
Thanks all. I think I will go for a mixed look of old and new uniform. So a mixture of black and reed green. There also seems to be a brownish looking fatigue colour as well(looks like a jump suit?). Also a few black outfits with reed green under shirts.
 I take it the camo look was more SS ?

Indeed it was, pea dot was used by SS tank crews. If you want to portray Heer a mix of reed green and black might work. Even going into blue as some crews used naval supplies. A search on google provides ample pictures. If you just do the one, you might even get away with saying an inidvidual of your crew had a camo tunic of say splittertarn custom made or field tailored. But that is down to historical preferences. Reed green and black is the safest bet, field tailored stuff is hard to find evidence for in most cases.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 01:04:58 PM »
Reed Green was very much a shade of greenish-grey, whereas Field Grey was a sort of greyish-green.

There is precious little difference between Field Grey or Reed Green, so i wouldn't get too hung up about matching shades.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Adler

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 04:50:06 AM »
The 'reed green' version ( in various shades of green depending on batch and wear) of the Panzer uniform is a lighter weight denim worn by all Heer tankers/AFV crews as a warm weather alternative to the more common black wool version.
The Field grey panzer cut uniform was worn by Assualt gun crews, A/C crews and in theory all troops in armoured vehicles which includes Panzer Grenadiers, engineers, Flak etc.
Many of the SS units were in various camo versions of the Panzer cut uniform, the 1st and 12th in particular having quantities of Italian pattern camo cut in the usual style. 12th were noted for using ex U-Boat leather gear.
There were Heer camo versions of the standard Panzer cut uniform and some of the Tiger units in particular still seem to have had supplies of the one piece reversible overalls.
Hope that helps
L

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 09:31:03 PM »
Every time I do a scan of the threads in this section, I read this one as "Red green panzer uniform", and think "Wait - what?!"  Sorry! It's got me about three times now. 

-Michael

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 09:48:29 PM »
The few examples of the reed green uniforms I've seen (admittedly mostly on reenactors) appear to be just a shade or 2 away from the US Marine/Army HBTs.   But I've never seen the 2 side by side...